Building UHU's Endurance- My First Build Thread

xpsg

Dec 25, 2014
Singapore
papercraft.xp.sg
Interstellar earned a spectacular 5 academy award nominations this morning! I personally thought it deserved a nom for best picture as well, but I'm completely perplexed as to how it didn't get nominated for best cinematography, seeing as how it was considered by many a frontrunner to win that one.

Anyways, I've finally completed the final docking port! The finished ring measures a whopping 13.5 inches across (not quite as big as expected, but certainly big enough)
Up next, I plan to start working on the central docking hub. I have an idea for a stand for the model. It will have 4 posts of different heights, each of which will have an angled "hand" piece for one of the modules of the ship to sit on. This will hopefully display it at a nice angle AND in a way that I can rotate it to also show the backside, as there is a lot of detail work there.
Without further ado, here are the build pics:
View attachment 139753 View attachment 139754 View attachment 139755 View attachment 139756 View attachment 139757 View attachment 139758 View attachment 139760 View attachment 139761
View attachment 139759

I hate to be raining on your parade :( but I just noticed that you might have glued "luggage compartments" of the habitat modules wrongly (it's upside-down)

Reference: http://uhu02.way-nifty.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/2014/12/03/31.jpg

Cforrest900

Reactions: xpsg

Cforrest900

Work begins on the final stages of the model: the Lander and the Ranger. As these were the trickiest bits of the model for me, I'm gonna go SUPER detailed on my build pics/ descriptions so that others who choose to build this model in the future may use them as a ref.
To begin with, all parts are cut out and folded:
IMG_0460.JPG IMG_0456.JPG
I then layer the areas where the magnets will go with two extra layers of paper:
IMG_0455.JPGIMG_0457.JPG
For the ranger, I cut out tabs from the 3rd layer to ensure that they will not be visible in the finished product.

Next, I glue the magnets to the approximate area:
IMG_0461.JPGIMG_0463.JPGIMG_0458.JPG
As can be seen above, I use a few other magnets to then line up the glued one correctly:
IMG_0464.JPG IMG_0458.JPG IMG_0462.JPG IMG_0459.JPG
Next: lots and lots of waiting. But in the meantime, I'll begin work on the "wing" for the Ranger

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
It is really coming together beautifully!
I am glad to see that you took into consideration that the magnets would put extra strain on the paper and have compensated for it.

Reactions: Cforrest900

Cforrest900

Building the Ranger's wing:
To begin with, I double up some of the areas of the wing. This is to prevent it from warping when glued to the main hull of the ship. I then cut out the shape with the tabs on the bottom layer, which will create something like a butt-joint.
IMG_0465.JPGIMG_0466.JPG
Next, I cut out 1 set of the other 2 pieces to finish the wings. I cut tabs here, as these will become the bottom layer:
IMG_0517.JPG
The y are then glued into the wing:
IMG_0518.JPG IMG_0519.JPG
I then cut out another set of the "U: shaped pieces with NO tabs sand glue them over the others:
IMG_0520.JPG IMG_0521.JPG
I then take an extra copy of the Ranger hull and cut out the grey triangles for the wing placement from the front half of the hull. I make sure to cut them WITH tabs:
IMG_0522.JPG
They are then glued into the wings. Note that the front does not line up completely with the front of the wing:
IMG_0523.JPG
Finally, the top edges are glued, completing the wing:
IMG_0524.JPG
Up next (tomorrow): completing the Ranger!

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
I know that UHU02's models can be (and sometimes are) quite challenging (which is one of the many reasons why I am so drawn to his work in the first place). So seeing what you are doing, I have to commend you on the meticulous care and effort that you are putting into building this model. Such efforts are (INDEED) paying off.

Reactions: Cforrest900

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I am so impressed by how perfect you made this model. These huge pictures would show any defects, and the bigger the pic, the better the model looks! I see a Model of the Month, I guarantee, when finished, a "Model of the Month", to be soon renamed something a bit shorter! (well, not "Something a bit sorter", a shorter title......HehHehHeh) :)

Reactions: Revell-Fan

Cforrest900

I am so impressed by how perfect you made this model. These huge pictures would show any defects, and the bigger the pic, the better the model looks! I see a Model of the Month, I guarantee, when finished, a "Model of the Month", to be soon renamed something a bit shorter! (well, not "Something a bit sorter", a shorter title......HehHehHeh) :)
:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::):):)

Cforrest900

The second Ranger is finished:
To begin with, I attach the tabs to the bottom of the hull and cut out the top pieces. Nothing special is done here:
IMG_0546.JPG IMG_0547.JPG
Next, I cut out tabs from a scrap piece of paper to place in the rear half of the hull:
IMG_0548.JPG IMG_0549.JPG
I then attach the upper halves of the hull to the bottom, but do not yet seal the two halves together:
IMG_0550.JPG
Next, glue is applied to the tabs on the rear half of the wing and it is glued onto the Ranger:
IMG_0551.JPG IMG_0552.JPG
Finally, I seal the two halves together, completing the Ranger:
IMG_0553.JPG
IMG_0558.JPG
Up next, I'll start work on the second Lander!

Thanks to all for watching and for the kind words.

Attachments

• IMG_0555.JPG
    IMG_0555.JPG
    869.7 KB · Views: 13

Cforrest900

Work continues with the assembly of the second lander's main hull.
To begin, I seal the front of the hull. I would strongly advise scoring these areas, as the folds here are rather complex:
IMG_0569.JPG
Next, I cut out and install the divider/ support piece between the two sections of the hull. I would not recommend sealing the front of the hull yet, as that makes attaching the central piece of the bottom much trickier.
IMG_0570.JPG IMG_0571.JPG
I then attach the bottom of the central hull and connect it to the front:
IMG_0572.JPG IMG_0573.JPG
Next, I cut out and install the bottom of the cockpit:
IMG_0574.JPG IMG_0575.JPG
Lastly (for this post, at least), I cut out and install tabs at the rear of the hull:
IMG_0576.JPG
Up next: finishing the hull's rear and finished pictures of the lander's main hull

Cforrest900

More progress: The front pods (possibly secondary engines?) are done.
I begin by cutting out the part with a LOT of tabs:
IMG_0583.JPG IMG_0584.JPG
Next, I fold on all of the lines except for some of the thin grey ones:
IMG_0585.JPG
The part is then assembled:
IMG_0586.JPG
Next, you'll need:
A dragon's right big toenail, the blood of a virgin (fresh or store-bought), 1/19th of a unicorn's horn, the 43rd page of an overly-long, convoluted fantasy novel (preferably one with a pretentious name), and a goat hoof. Combine all of these ingredients and then drop the first engine pod in. When the smoke clears, you'll have two:
IMG_0587.JPG
Finally, the pods are attached to the front of the ship:
IMG_0588.JPG IMG_0589.JPG IMG_0590.JPG IMG_0591.JPG IMG_0592.JPG