Building: U.S.S. Wanderer Class

Maverick65

Jul 13, 2012
Newark, Ohio
Hey Elko, those custom parts really look great,:thumb: can't wait to see how the saucer section looks with it. Thanks for the update, but most importantly thanks for sharing. :wave:

Keep up the great work,
Rick

ShadowHawk141

Jan 15, 2013
Netherlands
@DanBKing

Heh yeah I shop at Action, pretty good stuff at extreme low prices.
You paid 2.69 ? You've been had, I paid only 1,79 I bought three of them so I got some on reserve :)

I also bought a new hobbyknife there 1,79 with six different blades.
The blades aren't so good though so I got six Stanley blades from Hubo for 4,95.

Btw did you see Star Trek II last night ? They're doing a re-run of all ST movies on RTL 7, next wednesday is the next "The search for Spock".

@Rogerio

I didn't make the template on the computer but on the fly taking a piece of paper and measuring and cutting untill it alligned with the hull and the saucer, I then used it to cut the parts out of the textured printout.
The model is becoming more and more a one-of because the neck isn't the only part that I customized.
So, sorry that I can't put it up for download :(

@Rick
Thanks for the compliments :)
I still want to tweak some things on the saucer before I assemble it to the neck. I hope to get some of that done later in the afternoon today. I'll post pictures of the tweaks when I got the time.

Cheers,
Elko

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
It looks great! I'm sure other builders will follow your example and custom-build the neck, too. Your pictures show how it's supposed to look and can be used as a guide. I#m looking forward to seeing the saucer in place!

ShadowHawk141

Jan 15, 2013
Netherlands
can you send me the corrections you made to the ship please and keep up the good work

As I told Rogerio since he asked the same question.
Unfortunatly I can't because I made the custom parts on the fly, I didn't design them on the computer, so there's no template :eek:ops:

In the next post you can see the changes and maybe duplicate what I did.
It wasn't extremely hard, only to get the template for the sides of the neck was a trial and error thing.
I started with a square piece of paper and kept cutting away pieces untill it alligned. The arc to make it fit the hull was mostly a trial and error thing.
The connection between the neck and saucer was a matter of measuring the saucer, and use that on the template.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Elko

ShadowHawk141

Jan 15, 2013
Netherlands
Next update :mrgreen:

The saucer is now connected to the hull using my custom neck.
I'm quite pleased with the result and am glad I didn't throw the towel in the ring.

The top and bottom parts of the saucer are in place now, now I need to make further corrections and custom thingamajigs

The first picture shows the top of the saucer where I made the inset.
I added a heightened structure there so the weapons-pod could be placed on top.
You can also see that I cut out the impulse engines from the top half, later I have also removed the space the impulse engines take, from the bottom half.
I made new custom engines using existing parts from the model.

The rest of the pictures show the saucer connected to the hull and the new impulse engines I made.
I took pictures from a couple different angels so you can see how the new neck is placed and the allignement of the saucer and the hull.

I'm quite happy with the result, especially since this is gonna be my first ever completed model and second model I build.
My previous model the Republic Star Destroyer will be finished sometime but I got other plans after the Wanderer.

Only thing that remains are the nacelles, I'll post pictures when I get some results on those too.

Cheers and all the best,
Elko

Attachments

• WandererBuild013.JPG
    WandererBuild013.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 10
  • WandererBuild014.JPG
    WandererBuild014.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 12
  • WandererBuild015.JPG
    WandererBuild015.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 13
  • WandererBuild016.JPG
    WandererBuild016.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 12
  • WandererBuild017.JPG
    WandererBuild017.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 12
  • WandererBuild018.JPG
    WandererBuild018.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 13

Maverick65

Jul 13, 2012
Newark, Ohio
WOW! Elko she's looking great, the neck and saucer went together beautifully and I like what you did with the impulse engines. Can't wait to see how it all turns out once the nacelles are added. Once again great job.

Thanks for sharing...
Rick

ShadowHawk141

Jan 15, 2013
Netherlands
Thanks guys :mrgreen:

I hope to get the nacelles done this week, my kids however are free from school this week and I also want to spend some quality time with them so we'll see.

Cheers,
Elko

ShadowHawk141

Jan 15, 2013
Netherlands
Small update but no pictures yet because there just wasn't anything worth taken pictures of.

I tried to assemble the nacelles but as Revell-Fan allready said there's something off regarding the scaling of the individual parts.
At first it looked like I had the scaling correct but I didn't, this while I printed the sheets in the same scale.
The length and width are ok, it's just that the half-circular impulse glowing part is way to wide.
I should have double checked it before assembly but I didn't, so now I'm gonna give it a new try with, yet again, a custom made part, the "half-circular impulse glowing thingy".

Wish me luck, I'll need it......

This model realy adds a lot to my experience and creativeness :)

I hope I can post some pictures of the good nacelles and it's construction tomorow.

Cheers,
Elko

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I'm sorry for that, Elko. First I thought it was my mistake, but the fact that you are facing similar trouble is more than unfortunate. It is such a beautiful ship. Meanwhile I have found the original CG model but the format is very strange. I can't read it. However, the textures are supplied as bitmaps which are readable. I'll rig up a SketchUp model, make the necessary changes to the parts and texture them with the bitmaps.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
You cand do it, Elko! Keep up the good work! And with Revell-Fan's help, you'll both make it happen. Have you seen his hangar thread? Amazing!
I'm sorry if my post was a bit unclear but I don't have the time to make the revisions now. You'll have to wait a bit for them, but I assure you they will come (I too would like to have a proper easy-to-build Wanderer class model!). :eek:ops:

Rogerio Silva

Nov 9, 2012
Rio de Janeiro - BRAZIL !!!
Don't worry

I'm sorry if my post was a bit unclear but I don't have the time to make the revisions now. You'll have to wait a bit for them, but I assure you they will come (I too would like to have a proper easy-to-build Wanderer class model!). :eek:ops:

Great Revell-Fan

Don't you worry 'bout a thing, man, it's all good. Comin' from you, I know it's be gonna be good, and in the right time.:thumb::thumb::cool:

@ELKO

Go, ShadowHawk, go!sign1

ShadowHawk141

Jan 15, 2013
Netherlands

That's perfectly allright, when this model is finished I won't start it again any time soon. By the look of things regarding your Viper project you got enough on your hands allready, it does look realy good though :thumb:

Oh my gosh . . . :eek:

I'm in awe at how clean this build is! I can't wait to see what you can do with my Star Destroyers! :mrgreen::thumb:

Thanks for the compliment, I only try :)
You won't have to wait to long though to see what I will do to your ISD-II:eek::mrgreen:

My plan was to start the Enterprise-B after this one since you hadn't send me the missing models yet (no harm done, I know life can be very absorbing). But now you did send them so the ISD-II is my next model of choise. A good ISD was my first model of choise in general but I'm glad I build the Wanderer first, I learned a lot of techniques and tricks because of it and can apply those to my ISD build.

Little Update on the Wanderer.

I had to throw my next attempt on the nacelles in the bin, although I managed to put them together it just didn't go where I wanted it. I made a new print of the nacelles now with some custom alterations that will make them a bit easier (I hope) to build and with a bit more detail.

As soon as I have some real progress to show I'll post pictures. My kids are free from school this week though and I want to spend some time with them too :)

Thanks to all for your encouragements they're realy appreciated.

Cheers and all the best,
Elko

mchale

beach boy
Jun 27, 2008
greenville pa
cant wait to see the engines that is the main part that i dont understand
i wonder how paragon built his with this many problems then he released it

ShadowHawk141

Jan 15, 2013
Netherlands
I haven't been building much the last couple days, my health acts up sometimes and prevents me from being able to use my hands properly.

However, I was able to do some work on the computer and changed the design of the nacelles so that it's a bit easier to assemble it.

The sides of the nacelle parts gave me so little room to get it nice and tidy that I desided to change that.
What I did was, cut the lower part in half and attach those to both sides of the upper half. There is a seam on the bottom now but half of it will be covered by the extra engine part that goes over it. The rest of the seam is easily faded with some coloring (pencils etc.)

I did a testbuild (as far as I could) and I think it's gonna work. I made some pictures but I'll post those and the one's I'm still gonna make from the nacelle build together.

I did make a picture of the changes I made on the pc.

As soon as my hands and other joints are back in shape I'm gonna finish this build.

Cheers and all the best,
Elko

The picture of the changes:

Attachments

• NacelleTweak.jpg
    NacelleTweak.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 52