Building Thunderchild's Shuttles with extras

bgt01

Exemplary Confidant
Jan 26, 2012
Ohio
CARGO BAY
This section took some work. I toyed with the idea of modifying it to have the correct 4-across storage layout we see in the movie, but decided against it. Instead I went for as much detailing as possible with what was there. I started by recessing all the storage areas and layering up all the little gray crosshatch braces. I also layered the wall “ribs” at the rear.

A big part of doing this was to show off the cargo bay. But, the cargo bay is designed to fit the model, and like all shuttle bay models once it’s inside you can barely see any of it. As such, the forward wall of the cargo bay by the shuttle lift area is blank where there should be more storage units. So, I Photoshopped a new piece for this area, keeping with the 3-across pattern for consistency. I glued the cargo bay floor and shuttle lift area to chipboard and fit the whole thing together with the rear former.

For the lower cargo bay walls I recessed the corridor and lifeboat doors along with the storage areas. The lower walkway was glued to chipboard. After a lot of test fitting, it was glued to each of the three walls. The model doesn’t incorporate the upper walkway shown in the movie. So, I printed out another and glued it in place just like lower walkway. I thought about making a railing like the one in the movie, but since the bay isn’t very movie accurate to start with I decided to same myself some work.

Attachments

• c1.JPG
    c1.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 7
  • c2.JPG
    c2.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 7
  • c3.JPG
    c3.JPG
    247.6 KB · Views: 7
  • c4.JPG
    c4.JPG
    428 KB · Views: 6
  • c5.JPG
    c5.JPG
    459.1 KB · Views: 7
  • c6.JPG
    c6.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 7
  • c7.JPG
    c7.JPG
    416.8 KB · Views: 6
  • c8.JPG
    c8.JPG
    419.2 KB · Views: 8

bgt01

Exemplary Confidant
Jan 26, 2012
Ohio
SHUTTLE STORAGE AREA
While test fitting the cargo bay and shuttle bay I realized a big piece was missing. In the movie, we see the area under the shuttle bay floor is an open area for storing more shuttles. That area is missing from the model because you’d never see it. I didn’t want mine to look that far off, so I made some new parts. I took the lift area into Photoshop, removed the 3-1 and 3-2, and stretched it and the walls to make it all the way under the shuttle floor. I also made a “t” shaped framework part like on the matte painting. I glued all the parts to chipboard and fit the part to the lift area. I made more framework out of chipboard to hold it up at the fantail. I only attached the starboard wall because I wanted to be able to look inside. It looks ok, but it is actually too small to store shuttles there.

The walls of the shuttle lift area are supposed to have walkways that connect to the upper walkway of the cargo bay. I made these out of pieces of walkway cut to fit. I colored the white former with gray metallic Sharpie and glued on door openings.

Some final touches were to add the storage units on the floor and the turbo lift tubes. I should have colored the oval areas of the tubes blue but I’d already glued them in place before I figured that out. I also glued crew figures in various places to make it look busy in there. I even made some of my own crew using screen caps from the movie. I also added one of the TMP-style shuttles from the original kit, although I had to scale it down a lot to get it to fit. I still have to find a way to make the outside look better and clean up a few things, but it makes a pretty neat display piece.

Attachments

• d1.JPG
    d1.JPG
    524.4 KB · Views: 16
  • d2.JPG
    d2.JPG
    433 KB · Views: 17
  • d3.JPG
    d3.JPG
    382.9 KB · Views: 16
  • d4.JPG
    d4.JPG
    278.1 KB · Views: 16
  • d5.JPG
    d5.JPG
    319.8 KB · Views: 15
  • d6.JPG
    d6.JPG
    277.2 KB · Views: 14
  • d7.JPG
    d7.JPG
    374.3 KB · Views: 18
  • d8.JPG
    d8.JPG
    386.9 KB · Views: 16
  • d9.JPG
    d9.JPG
    237.3 KB · Views: 18
  • d10.JPG
    d10.JPG
    300.8 KB · Views: 17

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Brilliant, really! That has been an aspect from the Star Trek Franchise that has been sorely needed, for those of us who still play with these late at night after the wife goes to sleep. I used to practice Moon landings on her, but she said I was waking her up, and the LEM had those four rods for checking depth. Of course that means playing by myself. but at least the Internet won't be involved.

All joking aside, this is awesome. If you put on the exterior, you could light up the interior and make on Helluva interesting Night Lite! :)

Reactions: Revell-Fan

bgt01

Exemplary Confidant
Jan 26, 2012
Ohio
Oh @zathros, so many jokes coming to mind.:rolleyes: Must...repress....

Like everything I build, I see several things I could have done to make it better (wall braces, walkway railings, correct number of storage pods, etc.), but at some point you have to just build the thing! It's really a nice piece and it's a shame so little of it is seen in a completed model. That much work and detail needs to be shown off. Also, I don't like to see an open shuttlebay all the time on models, so if I ever build the whole Enterprise I can put the doors on. It looks cleaner and makes for better photo shoots. Besides, that keeps the Enterprise's heating bills down.;)

I think my final "plan" will be to add the internal braces cut to fit the walls, base and where the ceiling ends so i can attach the outer skin where I can. That should make it more presentable and look like a more "cutaway" section. I agree, the size makes it great for lighting. Not my forte, but I'd love to see it done.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
You must make something with felt feet that lad has a feather tickle probe. This would be for the Copulatory System. This would be use too create mods for study, exploration, and generation of energy, or depletion, not sure of outcum yet.