Building the Walthers N scale Blast Furnace

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad

Dude, HOLY :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :) :eek:jawdrop hamr aussie train97 :cool: fence1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is one :) of a model! Imagine how big the HO one would be...:eek: ! What's that platform behind the actual furnace though, do trains go on top of it?

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
VERY NICE TRUCKLOVER!im building a layout in HO primarily based on a steel mill.no way in hell im payin 200 bucks for a blast furnace so im scratchbuilding the whole complex.i read doc waynes article on weathering and it will help me with building the steel mil complex.and to answer CNWman's question those platforms are for hoppers to go to the platform and dump coal,sinter and ore into a skip car to be taken to the top of the furnace and dumped in.--josh

Delamaize

Oct 14, 2004
Lacey, Wa.
TruckLover said:
AHH, I wish, at least not on the N scale version. The molton steel comes straight from the furnace and runs into the tracks on the 2nd floor and into waiting hot metal cars.

Does anyone know where I can pick some hot metal cars in N scale? I want the ones like the Walthers one's in HO scale but don't want brass ones that cost TONS

Here are the Walthers ones in HO scale, I am looking for N scale verions.

09320000003141.gif
Slag Cars
09320000003131.gif
Bottle Cars

you know the Bottle Cars don't look too hard to build out of some styrine, and use MT Buckeye trucks, if I can get some good prototype pics and line drawings, I might be willing to take a crack at it, although, they really have no place on my layout.

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
WOW! That is some building project. Over 30 hours? It sure looks good. Very large foot print, I don't know where I would put someting like that on my pike. Nice job sharing the build up. :thumb:

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
Delamaize said:
you know the Bottle Cars don't look too hard to build out of some styrine, and use MT Buckeye trucks, if I can get some good prototype pics and line drawings, I might be willing to take a crack at it, although, they really have no place on my layout.

Wow, scratch building them would be a project, would be interesting to see them as you go.

I found a web site that has the slag cars, www.kenraymodels.com,
sm013.jpg

and the bottle cars from peachcreekshops,
32289.jpg

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
woodone said:
WOW! That is some building project. Over 30 hours? It sure looks good. Very large foot print, I don't know where I would put someting like that on my pike. Nice job sharing the build up. :thumb:

Thanks, it was a project and took some time but it was well worthit in the end. Looks like you gonna have to expand then if you want a steel mill, maybe you should constider buying some more real estate from the home ownersign1

Denyons

Nov 2, 2006
Sherwood Park,Alberta, Canada
Hi Josh,
Nice to see someone else builing the Blast Furnace.
We have one on our club layout but still need to do the surrounding finishing.
One of our menbers did the assembly and painting but those Slag Cars etc. would be nice to have out front. I do know of a guy who scatch built some using Thimbles as the cast buckets.
Dennis.

Attachments

• Blast Funace 1.jpg
    Blast Funace 1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 158
  • Blast Funace 2.jpg
    Blast Funace 2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 164
  • Blast Funace 3.jpg
    Blast Funace 3.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 157
  • Blast Funace 4.JPG
    Blast Funace 4.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 159

Delamaize

Oct 14, 2004
Lacey, Wa.
TruckLover said:
Wow, scratch building them would be a project, would be interesting to see them as you go.....

Well Here is my progress so far, after a few days work. I'll tell you the tapered ends of the actuall molten steel vessel were a PAIN IN MY @$$

IMG_1450.jpg

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
jtloconut said:
train97 That is just to SWEEEETballoon6 balloon6 balloon6 balloon6 balloon6 balloon6

Thanks, I like it a lot to lol :D :D

Biased turkey said:
It looks good so far TruckLover, and it seems quite complicate to build.
I like it, I ... have a blast.

sign1 Thanks

I still want to weather it with some black and grey wash and then with some chalks to :thumb: to give it more detail and make it look less like a new building :D

nscaler711

Mar 23, 2007
CO MO
oh dude you just gotta post the photos when its all weatherd.....im just dying to see what it looks like when its on your layout LOL:D :thumb:

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
hey guys,looks like this thread is REALLY growing!i mentioned i was going to build a blast furnace from scratch and here are the ruf blue prints with the majority of the piping.its kinda clustered so ill answer any q's on what is where.hope yall like it.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
OK here it is,its in HO,not N.as you can see the majority of it is there.i still have to add the bell hopper and top of the furnace.but you can see the open maintenece stairway in the middle.and the stoves,gas cleaners,etc.i found a photo of a BF with a scaffolding all around it and loved the lok so thats why it looks weird.and the whole thig is just 8in deep.--josh
BF.bmp