Building the Super Corsair

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Willja67, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I feel the need to post someting so I just thought I'd give and update. I finally found a piece that won't really work. Until now I've just been refining things that made the model easy to build. Well the frame around the bullet proof front pane of glass was a little off. I must admit I've been a little worried about the front of the canopy but once I can get a camera I think you'll agree that it looks pretty good. The design is a little unconventional (at least I think it is as I have seen very few other canopy designs) but it works.
  2. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I feel the need to post someting so I just thought I'd give and update. I finally found a piece that won't really work. Until now I've just been refining things that made the model easy to build. Well the frame around the bullet proof front pane of glass was a little off. I must admit I've been a little worried about the front of the canopy but once I can get a camera I think you'll agree that it looks pretty good. The design is a little unconventional (at least I think it is as I have seen very few other canopy designs) but it works.
  3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I'm really glad you are doing this build Will.
    I will definately be getting a copy when it is ready.
    It really is a beautiful specimen.

What happened to your camera?
    Did it kick the bucket?

Russell
  4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I'm really glad you are doing this build Will.
    I will definately be getting a copy when it is ready.
    It really is a beautiful specimen.

What happened to your camera?
    Did it kick the bucket?

Russell
  5. Gil

Gil Active Member

Rats! Big Hairy Rats!

Rats! Big Hairy Rats!

-Gil
  6. Gil

Gil Active Member

Rats! Big Hairy Rats!

Rats! Big Hairy Rats!

-Gil
  7. Willja67

Willja67 Member

It wasn't my camera that's the problem. It's my brothers and we had a disagreement and I returned the camera (still fully functional). I've got my eye on a little $100 digital Kodak job and have been trying to justify the purchase when my funds are so low.

So Gil was right the loss of the camera did involve a big hairy rat!
  8. Willja67

Willja67 Member

It wasn't my camera that's the problem. It's my brothers and we had a disagreement and I returned the camera (still fully functional). I've got my eye on a little $100 digital Kodak job and have been trying to justify the purchase when my funds are so low.

So Gil was right the loss of the camera did involve a big hairy rat!
  9. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Got a Camera!

Purchased the camera today so hopefully I can get the hang of using it soon.

I'll probably show this in later posts but I'll mention one major change that has been made. I deleted the front spar. It's main purpose was to hold the oil cooler intakes in place but I have found that you can glue them into the wing skin with a lot less hassle. As always smaller changes that are mostly cosmetic are happening all the time and I can't even remember them all to document them.

Sorry this is going slow but I have school competing with this project and school takes priority.
  10. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Got a Camera!

Purchased the camera today so hopefully I can get the hang of using it soon.

I'll probably show this in later posts but I'll mention one major change that has been made. I deleted the front spar. It's main purpose was to hold the oil cooler intakes in place but I have found that you can glue them into the wing skin with a lot less hassle. As always smaller changes that are mostly cosmetic are happening all the time and I can't even remember them all to document them.

Sorry this is going slow but I have school competing with this project and school takes priority.
  11. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

That's fantastic! Best news I have heard all week!
    I'm anxious to get my own copy but I understand about school taking a priority.
    It will be great to see some pics in the mean time though to satisfy my hunger!
    Following along with your work has always been a treat Willja!

Russell
  12. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

That's fantastic! Best news I have heard all week!
    I'm anxious to get my own copy but I understand about school taking a priority.
    It will be great to see some pics in the mean time though to satisfy my hunger!
    Following along with your work has always been a treat Willja!

Russell
  13. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Yeah........... ditto!

Don't stay mad at your brother too long........... it ain't worth it in the long run.

my two cents

john
  14. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Yeah........... ditto!

Don't stay mad at your brother too long........... it ain't worth it in the long run.

my two cents

john
  15. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I ditto John's two cents! :grin:

Russell
  16. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I ditto John's two cents! :grin:

Russell
  17. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Thanks guys but I don't think there's much to worry about. It doesn't seem to be in my families blood to stay mad for a long time. A week is usually the longest and that's stretching it.

Let's resume the thread shall we?

In this pic the inboard wing ribs have been added. Note how the printed sides are used to create the landing gear bays. This pic is pre modification. I designed a front spar to hold the oil cooler but as I mentioned I decided it wasn't neccessary. You can see the two slots in the front of the ribs that the spar would have slid into. I changed the design so that the 2 ribs that make up the gear bay sides are are joined at the front using the part of the front spar that made up the forward wall of the forward bay.

[​IMG]

Note also the 2 pieces to the left in the pic.

[​IMG]

Here they are installed. The little yellow strip is used to make the main spar look solid. The other piece is used to support the wing skin on the bottom. The x in the middle of the pice can be left in if the model is being built with the gear up. Otherwise it needs to be cut out(as shown here).
    Here is the oil cooler assembled:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is made up of 5 parts. First is the main skin 2 is the round part that is represents the oil cooler itself 3 and 4 are ducting vanes and part 5 is the connecting strip. Not shown in this pic is the mouth of the intake. I already glued that into the opening in the wing skin(can be seen in first pic). And then I edge glued the intake assembly to that as seen here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to follow.
  18. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Thanks guys but I don't think there's much to worry about. It doesn't seem to be in my families blood to stay mad for a long time. A week is usually the longest and that's stretching it.

Let's resume the thread shall we?

In this pic the inboard wing ribs have been added. Note how the printed sides are used to create the landing gear bays. This pic is pre modification. I designed a front spar to hold the oil cooler but as I mentioned I decided it wasn't neccessary. You can see the two slots in the front of the ribs that the spar would have slid into. I changed the design so that the 2 ribs that make up the gear bay sides are are joined at the front using the part of the front spar that made up the forward wall of the forward bay.

[​IMG]

Note also the 2 pieces to the left in the pic.

[​IMG]

Here they are installed. The little yellow strip is used to make the main spar look solid. The other piece is used to support the wing skin on the bottom. The x in the middle of the pice can be left in if the model is being built with the gear up. Otherwise it needs to be cut out(as shown here).
    Here is the oil cooler assembled:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is made up of 5 parts. First is the main skin 2 is the round part that is represents the oil cooler itself 3 and 4 are ducting vanes and part 5 is the connecting strip. Not shown in this pic is the mouth of the intake. I already glued that into the opening in the wing skin(can be seen in first pic). And then I edge glued the intake assembly to that as seen here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to follow.
  19. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Inboard flaps

I didn't have access to a camera for the skinning of the right section of wing. Major thing to note when wrapping the skin is to start on the bottom and line up the skin around the landing gear bay.

Now I'll start the section on building the flaps and I know there are going to be some changes here (I've found one major fit error and come up with a better idea for mounting the flaps themselves). One other note is that I've deleted several pieces I have deemed unnecesary and I think I will add maybe one or 2 so the numbering is going to change (the reason I haven't been referring to part numbers while doing this report).

First I'll show the ramps in front of the flaps.

[​IMG]

This pic shows the ramps that are just in front of the flaps. These are used to direct air from the bottom of the wing over the top of the flaps when they are extended. For obvious reasons this area is not very visible so I slacked a little building it. Shaping the middle piece is important and you can see the double curve needed to make it fit:

[​IMG]

and installed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tabs that are bent up in this pic closed the area in front of the flaps when they were retracted to smooth the air under the wing. Note that 2 tabs aren't bent up (or down in this pic) flap hinges are mounted on those tabs and some reinforcement is needed. I am seriously considering redesign here. I might mount a piece to the rear spar or the ramp, so this may change.

[​IMG]

This is the inner most of the 3 flaps.

[​IMG]

This is the skin before gluing. Note the curve in the trailing edge. Anyone who has followed my design thread will know that I am quite vane about the curved part of this wing. I think this is a good design.

[​IMG]

Here the frame has been glued into the skin. The 2 ribs DO NOT come to the edges of the skin. They are set inside just a little. Note also the slot in the bottom of the rib. this is for the spanner. Due to the curve of the wing when the flaps extend there is a large gap between the first and second flaps and a spanner was used to close it and it slid into the first flap when they were retracted.

[​IMG]

The second and smallest flap

[​IMG]

The little wedge on the left is the spanner. I think it works but it's a little on the narrow side so I'll widen it a little.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The spanner is inserted in the slot on the first flap. Note also the nice curve on the trailing edge.

[​IMG]

This is kind of what it will look like when installed on the plane.

I think I'm going to build the right wing with flaps lowered and the sperate aileron and the left with flaps retracted and the aileron not seperated.

As always comments are welcome.
  20. Willja67

Willja67 Member

hinges

This post will be about the hinges for the 2 inboard flaps. I didn't take pics of the individual parts for the simple reason that the parts are so stinking tiny (laugh that one up all you microscale nuts:roll: ) that I didn't think they'd be visible enough. So I will show the assembly diagram for the hinges in the hopes that it will clarify things.

[​IMG]

I designed this kind of like the real thing in that there is the mechanical part that mounts to the airframe and then there is a fairing overtop of that, and I'm finding that it may be overkill. your opinions would be wecome.

The hinge between flaps 1 and 2 is a split hinge. I mentioned a major fit problem in the last post, well I put the tab that the split hinge is mounted on in the wrong place, it's too far outboard although in these pics it's probably not easy to tell.

These are the exceptions to taking pics of the individual parts. This one show the fairing layed out flat:

[​IMG]

And formed:

[​IMG]

And this shows the inner part that the previously showed part goes overtop of:

[​IMG]

And with the fairing installed:

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of the outboard hinge:

[​IMG]

I think it and the diagram kind of speak for themselves. One note though, perhaps you noticed the corner cut out of the second flap? The actuating push rod for the flap is attatched to the flap in that cut out and is visible. I haven't provided any piece for it but a small length of paper clip would probably do.

And just for grins a view from the back of the flaps installed:

[​IMG]

Honestly folks I'd like your opinion on this; Is the inner part (the actual hinge) something you want left in the kit? It's practically invisible once installed.

Anyhow that's it for this evening.