Building the Super Corsair

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Willja67, Oct 11, 2006.

1. gwssms

gwssms Member

I am one of the people that did buy the model. I am very impressed with the quality of what I have seen so far but I'm out of ink till the next paycheck! :) I also was a bit taken aback by the price but I figured I could buy this one very nice model or two or three inferior ones. I am extremely enamored of the subject matter which was a large part of my decision. There are not many nice, detailed racing airplane models out there. (I also purchased this extremely nice DH-88 from http://www.cardmodels.de/index.php and it was 12 dollars for two versions). The real heartburn I had with this model was it's method of release. This was the most cumbersome, password protected, proprietary software laden deal I have ever been a part of. And...I cannot even store a backup copy of the kit should my computer crash or I need to upgrade! I know the company will replace models in these cases, but I for one don't want to go through that hassle again. This of course is my opinion only and not intended to dissuade anyone from doing what they like.
    Gary
  2. gwssms

gwssms Member

I am one of the people that did buy the model. I am very impressed with the quality of what I have seen so far but I'm out of ink till the next paycheck! :) I also was a bit taken aback by the price but I figured I could buy this one very nice model or two or three inferior ones. I am extremely enamored of the subject matter which was a large part of my decision. There are not many nice, detailed racing airplane models out there. (I also purchased this extremely nice DH-88 from http://www.cardmodels.de/index.php and it was 12 dollars for two versions). The real heartburn I had with this model was it's method of release. This was the most cumbersome, password protected, proprietary software laden deal I have ever been a part of. And...I cannot even store a backup copy of the kit should my computer crash or I need to upgrade! I know the company will replace models in these cases, but I for one don't want to go through that hassle again. This of course is my opinion only and not intended to dissuade anyone from doing what they like.
    Gary
  3. Willja67

Willja67 Member

This whole experience for me has been akin to giving a talk in front of a large group of people and having your fly down and no one tells you about it. Course in this instance it's all laid squarely on my head. I knew the model could be more refined and was too impatient to do wait.

Mike and I have agreed to suspend further sales until I've made the necessary refinements and everyone who has bought one already will get the new version free of charge.

About the price I know that it's a little on the steep side but you all have seen the amount of work that goes into even building a model let alone designing one and we all commment on the price of plastic. The only other Super Corsair kit (paper or plastic) you can buy in 1/32 is a resin conversion kit so you have to buy the base corsair kit first which is maybe 15-20 dollars and the conversion kit itself is about $200 dollars! So I have to say that I don't think the price is much to gripe about. I know that economics will always be the deciding factor in that if it can be bought cheaper elsewhere it will be and the more expensive product will remain on the shelves.

Anyway.....
  4. Willja67

Willja67 Member

This whole experience for me has been akin to giving a talk in front of a large group of people and having your fly down and no one tells you about it. Course in this instance it's all laid squarely on my head. I knew the model could be more refined and was too impatient to do wait.

Mike and I have agreed to suspend further sales until I've made the necessary refinements and everyone who has bought one already will get the new version free of charge.

About the price I know that it's a little on the steep side but you all have seen the amount of work that goes into even building a model let alone designing one and we all commment on the price of plastic. The only other Super Corsair kit (paper or plastic) you can buy in 1/32 is a resin conversion kit so you have to buy the base corsair kit first which is maybe 15-20 dollars and the conversion kit itself is about $200 dollars! So I have to say that I don't think the price is much to gripe about. I know that economics will always be the deciding factor in that if it can be bought cheaper elsewhere it will be and the more expensive product will remain on the shelves.

Anyway.....
  5. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Sale of the F2G Super Corsair is suspended

Will already mentioned that the sale of his model is temporarily suspended.
    This will give him a chance to refine and correct any issues that could crop up in his design.
    Everybody who already bought the model will receive a free replacement Super Corsair and 25% discount on the next purchase as our apology for any inconvenience.

If anybody decides to take advantage of this offer, simply drop me an e-mail or PM and I will refund the difference.
  6. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Sale of the F2G Super Corsair is suspended

Will already mentioned that the sale of his model is temporarily suspended.
    This will give him a chance to refine and correct any issues that could crop up in his design.
    Everybody who already bought the model will receive a free replacement Super Corsair and 25% discount on the next purchase as our apology for any inconvenience.

If anybody decides to take advantage of this offer, simply drop me an e-mail or PM and I will refund the difference.
  7. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Will,

Don't give up or get discouraged...

Ryan
  8. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Will,

Don't give up or get discouraged...

Ryan
  9. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

OK.......... I guess Number 2 is who I am.............

Will........... DO NOT beat yourself up about this. This is a model of something NO ONE ELSE ATTEMPTED! Heck you said so yourself!

No model is perfect......I've even found problems with others and reported them, AND it doesn't bother me. AND really should not bother others very much. This hobby is great in that normal everyday people can create pieces have them marketed AND have ordinary average guys like me actually talk with the designer..........ummm I was never able to do that with Revell or Monogram, Aurora, Hawk or any of the other model sellers.

Yes maybe, quite possibly you put the model out too soon, ummm again that is not a crime last time I check our ever changing laws here.

When a problem is found you will fix it, and I'll bet you even after you re-release it you are going to find something else that was missed....... Big Deal. Michael will have a list of those who bought, and can push out the fix to them, or even have it where people can download the fix from his site.

AND PEOPLE............. price....... PRICE!!!......... well...... really go out and check the prices of plastic, yes I know that's been brought up, BUT ALSO, check out the price on glue, paint, airbrush compressors, brushes, putty, sandpaper, DECALS and everything else that it takes to make those plastic P.O.S. look fantastic! Carry you a calculator to add them up and then come back and complain about prices.

AND don't get all mad at me, I'm from the old school of "If it ain't worth what they are asking, THEY won't be around long asking!"

Will's model will beat the sock off of any plastic model out there right off the printer! AND remember............ there ain't no plastic ones of this plane!

I said it before........... and I SAY IT AGAIN.......... if you want good high quality accurate models you will have to pay for them, yes some guys do put out FANTASTIC models for free, and that's great, but NOT IN THE SUBJECTS THAT WE WANT, unless we are very very lucky.

WE HAVE to support designers and model stores, both on the net, and on the street, or we will not have many great models to choose from. AND GUESS WHAT......... the prices will go through the roof for sure!........

Anybody had a favorite store closed by low-price Wal-Mart moving in, and then after no competition it ain't low-prices anymore? Nuff said!

I will wait for the re-release, and I thank you for all the work you have put into this Will, and I thank you too Michael for understanding and offering a discount, That's called good business! But when I do buy another model, and I will, I will wave the offer and pay full price because I know it will help out a hobby I love.

john

P.S.

Will........... please don't get too discouraged............ I WANT the Golden Eagle! AND I think some more race planes would be very nice too!
  10. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

OK.......... I guess Number 2 is who I am.............

Will........... DO NOT beat yourself up about this. This is a model of something NO ONE ELSE ATTEMPTED! Heck you said so yourself!

No model is perfect......I've even found problems with others and reported them, AND it doesn't bother me. AND really should not bother others very much. This hobby is great in that normal everyday people can create pieces have them marketed AND have ordinary average guys like me actually talk with the designer..........ummm I was never able to do that with Revell or Monogram, Aurora, Hawk or any of the other model sellers.

Yes maybe, quite possibly you put the model out too soon, ummm again that is not a crime last time I check our ever changing laws here.

When a problem is found you will fix it, and I'll bet you even after you re-release it you are going to find something else that was missed....... Big Deal. Michael will have a list of those who bought, and can push out the fix to them, or even have it where people can download the fix from his site.

AND PEOPLE............. price....... PRICE!!!......... well...... really go out and check the prices of plastic, yes I know that's been brought up, BUT ALSO, check out the price on glue, paint, airbrush compressors, brushes, putty, sandpaper, DECALS and everything else that it takes to make those plastic P.O.S. look fantastic! Carry you a calculator to add them up and then come back and complain about prices.

AND don't get all mad at me, I'm from the old school of "If it ain't worth what they are asking, THEY won't be around long asking!"

Will's model will beat the sock off of any plastic model out there right off the printer! AND remember............ there ain't no plastic ones of this plane!

I said it before........... and I SAY IT AGAIN.......... if you want good high quality accurate models you will have to pay for them, yes some guys do put out FANTASTIC models for free, and that's great, but NOT IN THE SUBJECTS THAT WE WANT, unless we are very very lucky.

WE HAVE to support designers and model stores, both on the net, and on the street, or we will not have many great models to choose from. AND GUESS WHAT......... the prices will go through the roof for sure!........

Anybody had a favorite store closed by low-price Wal-Mart moving in, and then after no competition it ain't low-prices anymore? Nuff said!

I will wait for the re-release, and I thank you for all the work you have put into this Will, and I thank you too Michael for understanding and offering a discount, That's called good business! But when I do buy another model, and I will, I will wave the offer and pay full price because I know it will help out a hobby I love.

john

P.S.

Will........... please don't get too discouraged............ I WANT the Golden Eagle! AND I think some more race planes would be very nice too!
  11. barry

barry Active Member

F2g

Well said John

Will you will never be satisfied however good it gets because I suspect you want perfection or near it. Near enough will do.

There is one currency I wonder about how many people send NOBI an email to say THANKS FOR THE FREEBIE NOBI out of the thousands who jump on his downloads. Not many I suspect !

Will I just marvel at the number of points you plotted to get where you have and to Mike Kroll good for you bringing kits like this to us,

Stick with it mate
  12. barry

barry Active Member

F2g

Well said John

Will you will never be satisfied however good it gets because I suspect you want perfection or near it. Near enough will do.

There is one currency I wonder about how many people send NOBI an email to say THANKS FOR THE FREEBIE NOBI out of the thousands who jump on his downloads. Not many I suspect !

Will I just marvel at the number of points you plotted to get where you have and to Mike Kroll good for you bringing kits like this to us,

Stick with it mate
  13. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Thanks guys your encouragement is heartening. I honestly don't anticipate that many changes. I've really only found cosmetic stuff wrong with the model, nothing that a semi experienced (you need to be at least semi experienced to build it) would have a problem getting around. I'll keep plugging away.8)
  14. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Thanks guys your encouragement is heartening. I honestly don't anticipate that many changes. I've really only found cosmetic stuff wrong with the model, nothing that a semi experienced (you need to be at least semi experienced to build it) would have a problem getting around. I'll keep plugging away.8)
  15. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Chapter 2

Okay now that I'm done kicking myself in the butt (for the moment) you get the next part which is a lot shorter than i would like.

I'm having camera troubles so I can't show as many pics as I would like.

After the last bit I installed the inboard wing spars:

[​IMG]

There are 3 spars total the front spar (not yet installed) the main spar (made of 2 pieces) and the rear spar. The main reason for the thick main spar is because it's visible if the landing gear is extended. Also I like the idea that my model approximates the construction and structure of the real thing. Note the white rectangle in the middle of the yellow area on the spar. That is where the mounting bracket for part of the landing gear goes.

This pic:

[​IMG]

Shows the piece of skin that wraps around the fuselage just in front of the cockpit. The little piece closer to the camera is a joining strip that serves the double purpose of keeping the wing skin from sagging. If you look closely at the skin piece at the wing roots you can see 2 arrows I drew on with a pen. They are pointing to a line (not visible in pic) just a little below the colored part. That is where the joining piece should be glued as it allows for the thickness of the wing skin.

Also note the notch that goes around the spars. There is another piece (not shown)that is the belly of the plane and so this section had to be made in 2 parts so it could be put on around the spars.

As I said I hoped to be able to show more but that's it for now.
  16. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Chapter 2

Okay now that I'm done kicking myself in the butt (for the moment) you get the next part which is a lot shorter than i would like.

I'm having camera troubles so I can't show as many pics as I would like.

After the last bit I installed the inboard wing spars:

[​IMG]

There are 3 spars total the front spar (not yet installed) the main spar (made of 2 pieces) and the rear spar. The main reason for the thick main spar is because it's visible if the landing gear is extended. Also I like the idea that my model approximates the construction and structure of the real thing. Note the white rectangle in the middle of the yellow area on the spar. That is where the mounting bracket for part of the landing gear goes.

This pic:

[​IMG]

Shows the piece of skin that wraps around the fuselage just in front of the cockpit. The little piece closer to the camera is a joining strip that serves the double purpose of keeping the wing skin from sagging. If you look closely at the skin piece at the wing roots you can see 2 arrows I drew on with a pen. They are pointing to a line (not visible in pic) just a little below the colored part. That is where the joining piece should be glued as it allows for the thickness of the wing skin.

Also note the notch that goes around the spars. There is another piece (not shown)that is the belly of the plane and so this section had to be made in 2 parts so it could be put on around the spars.

As I said I hoped to be able to show more but that's it for now.
  17. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Chapter 2 cont'd

Camera problems fixed.

[​IMG]

Obviously a couple steps got skipped to get to this point. I frequently get sso wrapped up in what I'm doing that I forget I should be documenting.

The piece in the last pic has been installed as well as the belly piece and the one in front of those 2. Note the joining strip from the last post and how the tabs will support the wing skin. There are also similar strips/supports for in front of the main spare which you will see in a minute.

[​IMG]

Same stage just from the other side.

[​IMG]

This is one of the parts that is getting just a little refinement to make it easier on the builder.

[​IMG]

Note the notch in the middle. I have since drawn that notch in so you the builder will not have to figure that out on your own

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are 2 more parts that are easily made but that I hadn't included in the kit but are there now. They are the strip of paper on either side of the fuselage inside the forward join/support piece. The cowling slides inbetween these 2.

[​IMG]

I think it's obvious what has been done here. This part is the reason the notches had to be cut in the above mention parts.

[​IMG]

And here I've started adding the ribs that also doulble as sides of the gear bays.

And that ladies and gentlemen is all that I hoped to post for tonight.
  18. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Chapter 2 cont'd

Camera problems fixed.

[​IMG]

Obviously a couple steps got skipped to get to this point. I frequently get sso wrapped up in what I'm doing that I forget I should be documenting.

The piece in the last pic has been installed as well as the belly piece and the one in front of those 2. Note the joining strip from the last post and how the tabs will support the wing skin. There are also similar strips/supports for in front of the main spare which you will see in a minute.

[​IMG]

Same stage just from the other side.

[​IMG]

This is one of the parts that is getting just a little refinement to make it easier on the builder.

[​IMG]

Note the notch in the middle. I have since drawn that notch in so you the builder will not have to figure that out on your own

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are 2 more parts that are easily made but that I hadn't included in the kit but are there now. They are the strip of paper on either side of the fuselage inside the forward join/support piece. The cowling slides inbetween these 2.

[​IMG]

I think it's obvious what has been done here. This part is the reason the notches had to be cut in the above mention parts.

[​IMG]

And here I've started adding the ribs that also doulble as sides of the gear bays.

And that ladies and gentlemen is all that I hoped to post for tonight.
  19. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Bad news folks the camera is nolonger available for my use so that in essence is the end of this thread. For those of you who were interested I'm sorry. I will continue the improvements so hopefullt I can resume sales shortly.
  20. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Bad news folks the camera is nolonger available for my use so that in essence is the end of this thread. For those of you who were interested I'm sorry. I will continue the improvements so hopefullt I can resume sales shortly.