Building the Super Corsair

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Willja67, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Well folks I decided that I was finally going to build a complete model from start to finish and that it would probably be very benificial to those who have bought my model.

You will note this is not quite the same as the model I released. But it is similar enough to be of benefit.

I decided to change the build order on this model from what I have in the instructions. There are some advantages and disadvantages to each method.

Assembly 1.

First change made in the building order was not to glue on the wing spars in the first step. This has the advantage that the spars don't get beat up while they are at their weakest.

[​IMG]

Found one problem already that i overlooked. The slot in A1 that the instrument panel slides into is wrong. I have it drawn that you cut the slot in the bottom but it should be in the top. An easy fix for a modeler who knows what they're doing but still embarrasing. I'll fix that soon.

Assembly 2.

Here also is a departure from the instructions. This has definate disadvantages but some advantages as well. The way the instructions show it the cockpit tub is glued right into the frame first thing. I've chosen to wait until the cockpit is assembled to install it. The disadvantage is that the floor has no bracing and can warp (and it did) the advantage is that it's easier to work on.

[​IMG]

I already have the left console and throttle quadrant installed. Also not the canopy rail. It's difficult to see but there is a little ledge just below the top of the tub.

Here are a couple pics of the seat. It's a fairly straightforward build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This pic shows the stick installed. There is a pattern for bending the wire. The stick grip was a really tiny part and I got it on my #57 but I dropped it and couldn't find it so I'll leave it off. Sorry for the poor photography. Sometimes I can do good sometimes I can't.

[​IMG]

The seat is now installed. I won't show the right console because it's very similar to the left.

[​IMG]

I installed the tub. Note how the tabs on the tub stick past the edges of the formers? These are the joining strips for the fuselage skin. Note the strip under the bottom of the former behind the seat.

[​IMG]

These are the rudder pedals ready for installation.

[​IMG]

And installed.

[​IMG]

This piece is the inside wall of the cockpit and also doubles as a connecting strip. Note how it goes inside the tabs on the cockpit tub. One potential problem with this part is that if you handle the model too much the former in front of the rudder pedals will start showing through the skin.

[​IMG]

Surprise! #74 is almost done. As you can see you wrap this piece around the cockpit making sure to score and fold the canopy rails so the canopy pully mechanism hangs down inside the cockpit. One piece of advice; Only glue around the edges of the fuselage skin where it glues over the cockpit tub. If you put glue in the middle it shows through after it dries.

And another pic:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As shown roll the next two fuselage sections and glue them together.

[​IMG]

Then fit over the rear end of the frame and that does it for this build report.

Any questions or things that aren't clear please feel free to ask.
  2. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Well folks I decided that I was finally going to build a complete model from start to finish and that it would probably be very benificial to those who have bought my model.

You will note this is not quite the same as the model I released. But it is similar enough to be of benefit.

I decided to change the build order on this model from what I have in the instructions. There are some advantages and disadvantages to each method.

Assembly 1.

First change made in the building order was not to glue on the wing spars in the first step. This has the advantage that the spars don't get beat up while they are at their weakest.

[​IMG]

Found one problem already that i overlooked. The slot in A1 that the instrument panel slides into is wrong. I have it drawn that you cut the slot in the bottom but it should be in the top. An easy fix for a modeler who knows what they're doing but still embarrasing. I'll fix that soon.

Assembly 2.

Here also is a departure from the instructions. This has definate disadvantages but some advantages as well. The way the instructions show it the cockpit tub is glued right into the frame first thing. I've chosen to wait until the cockpit is assembled to install it. The disadvantage is that the floor has no bracing and can warp (and it did) the advantage is that it's easier to work on.

[​IMG]

I already have the left console and throttle quadrant installed. Also not the canopy rail. It's difficult to see but there is a little ledge just below the top of the tub.

Here are a couple pics of the seat. It's a fairly straightforward build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This pic shows the stick installed. There is a pattern for bending the wire. The stick grip was a really tiny part and I got it on my #57 but I dropped it and couldn't find it so I'll leave it off. Sorry for the poor photography. Sometimes I can do good sometimes I can't.

[​IMG]

The seat is now installed. I won't show the right console because it's very similar to the left.

[​IMG]

I installed the tub. Note how the tabs on the tub stick past the edges of the formers? These are the joining strips for the fuselage skin. Note the strip under the bottom of the former behind the seat.

[​IMG]

These are the rudder pedals ready for installation.

[​IMG]

And installed.

[​IMG]

This piece is the inside wall of the cockpit and also doubles as a connecting strip. Note how it goes inside the tabs on the cockpit tub. One potential problem with this part is that if you handle the model too much the former in front of the rudder pedals will start showing through the skin.

[​IMG]

Surprise! #74 is almost done. As you can see you wrap this piece around the cockpit making sure to score and fold the canopy rails so the canopy pully mechanism hangs down inside the cockpit. One piece of advice; Only glue around the edges of the fuselage skin where it glues over the cockpit tub. If you put glue in the middle it shows through after it dries.

And another pic:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As shown roll the next two fuselage sections and glue them together.

[​IMG]

Then fit over the rear end of the frame and that does it for this build report.

Any questions or things that aren't clear please feel free to ask.
  3. Alcides

Alcides Member

I don't buy your super corsair YET !!!

But it's great to see a designer helping the buyers.

By the way, I think you have to change your signature. :wink:
  4. Alcides

Alcides Member

I don't buy your super corsair YET !!!

But it's great to see a designer helping the buyers.

By the way, I think you have to change your signature. :wink:
  5. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Thanks for the reminder Alcides. As for this little build report (more is coming I've just been busy) does it help the still very few number of people who have bought the model(I know of only 2 who are members of this forum)?

I know a lot more than 2 people seemed interested in buying is there a reason why more have not been purchased? I guess I'm just coming to face the stark reality that paper models don't make money.
  6. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Thanks for the reminder Alcides. As for this little build report (more is coming I've just been busy) does it help the still very few number of people who have bought the model(I know of only 2 who are members of this forum)?

I know a lot more than 2 people seemed interested in buying is there a reason why more have not been purchased? I guess I'm just coming to face the stark reality that paper models don't make money.
  7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Give it some time, too many irons in the fire :) looks good! Does your camera have a macro mode? Images might come out a little crisper when you take pics :) maybe..... :D
    Chris
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Give it some time, too many irons in the fire :) looks good! Does your camera have a macro mode? Images might come out a little crisper when you take pics :) maybe..... :D
    Chris
  9. GT5500

GT5500 Member

I think the problem that you're facing is that card models are at a sort of golden age at the minute with so much CAD technology available more and more kits are being designed. The result is that the market is swamped, and people like me that have every intention of buying your kit and everyone elses in reality don't have the time or the money to build all of them., as much as I would love to. Your kit does look superb though I wish you good luck on your first commercial endevour.
  10. GT5500

GT5500 Member

I think the problem that you're facing is that card models are at a sort of golden age at the minute with so much CAD technology available more and more kits are being designed. The result is that the market is swamped, and people like me that have every intention of buying your kit and everyone elses in reality don't have the time or the money to build all of them., as much as I would love to. Your kit does look superb though I wish you good luck on your first commercial endevour.
  11. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

I can't speak for anyone else but the reason I have not bought your modle yet is the cost. I have been out of work for 5 months and simply don't have the money to buy any models at the moment.
    This plane is at the top of my list of kits to buy when I can again afford to buy them. The interest is there and has been from the start of this project, I do look forward to geting this one!
  12. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

I can't speak for anyone else but the reason I have not bought your modle yet is the cost. I have been out of work for 5 months and simply don't have the money to buy any models at the moment.
    This plane is at the top of my list of kits to buy when I can again afford to buy them. The interest is there and has been from the start of this project, I do look forward to geting this one!
  13. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Hi Willja,
    Superb model!!! I believe I have said that a couple of times before already! :)

I, for one, said that I would definately buy your model.
    This is my reasoning for not purchasing it...yet.

As you know, we were all privledged to witness the design process of this wonderful model so I was very surprised to see it released before a final build was done and mistakes corrected. This would be OK if the price were say, $5 or $6 or especially if it were free.

For a model of this asking price though, I expect a final build to be done before release to the public.

To me, the build you are doing now, should have been done before release and I plan to purchase your model after this build is over and a revised and updated kit is available.

I know to expect some small mistakes to be missed and some modifications to be necessary in any kit, but for the price that's being asked, I expect a final beta build before release to minimize these mistakes and minor modifications.

Don't take all this the wrong way. I just think you jumped the gun on your release. I still think this is a superb model and is certainly buildable in it's present state, but only for very experienced modelers. I definately plan on getting my own copy, just not right now.

This post was very difficult for me to write and even more difficult for me to hit the reply button. I don't like writing a post that verbally punches a man right in the guts, but I have been biting my tongue about this since you announced the release and I only speak now because you asked for reasons why very few have purchased this kit.

This post was like telling your best friend that his wife is cheating on him.
    Very hard to do, certainly not wanting to cause hurt feelings, but necessary.
    I don't know anyone elses feelings about this, but I've laid my cards on the table.

Russell
  14. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Hi Willja,
    Superb model!!! I believe I have said that a couple of times before already! :)

I, for one, said that I would definately buy your model.
    This is my reasoning for not purchasing it...yet.

As you know, we were all privledged to witness the design process of this wonderful model so I was very surprised to see it released before a final build was done and mistakes corrected. This would be OK if the price were say, $5 or $6 or especially if it were free.

For a model of this asking price though, I expect a final build to be done before release to the public.

To me, the build you are doing now, should have been done before release and I plan to purchase your model after this build is over and a revised and updated kit is available.

I know to expect some small mistakes to be missed and some modifications to be necessary in any kit, but for the price that's being asked, I expect a final beta build before release to minimize these mistakes and minor modifications.

Don't take all this the wrong way. I just think you jumped the gun on your release. I still think this is a superb model and is certainly buildable in it's present state, but only for very experienced modelers. I definately plan on getting my own copy, just not right now.

This post was very difficult for me to write and even more difficult for me to hit the reply button. I don't like writing a post that verbally punches a man right in the guts, but I have been biting my tongue about this since you announced the release and I only speak now because you asked for reasons why very few have purchased this kit.

This post was like telling your best friend that his wife is cheating on him.
    Very hard to do, certainly not wanting to cause hurt feelings, but necessary.
    I don't know anyone elses feelings about this, but I've laid my cards on the table.

Russell
  15. Gil

Gil Active Member

Great Feedback for all Designers

Willja,

I will buy the model as soon as you finish the build and update the offering. Simple as that though the price is still high (using similar available models as a ranking order). And yes, you'll never get rich selling paper models but by adjusting to market demands a moderate return can be made over the long term.

I think you've done a very remarkable piece of work for your first commercial attempt and now need to adjust to the "marketing" side of the business. Patience and keen observation are now required...,

Best regards, -Gil
  16. Gil

Gil Active Member

Great Feedback for all Designers

Willja,

I will buy the model as soon as you finish the build and update the offering. Simple as that though the price is still high (using similar available models as a ranking order). And yes, you'll never get rich selling paper models but by adjusting to market demands a moderate return can be made over the long term.

I think you've done a very remarkable piece of work for your first commercial attempt and now need to adjust to the "marketing" side of the business. Patience and keen observation are now required...,

Best regards, -Gil
  17. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I kind of figured that might be the reason and I have only myself to blame for it. I will however add that although the model does have imperfections they are of a minor nature and I am confident that the model can be built.
  18. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I kind of figured that might be the reason and I have only myself to blame for it. I will however add that although the model does have imperfections they are of a minor nature and I am confident that the model can be built.
  19. barry

barry Active Member

Will

First it's beautiful, my only suggestion the colour scheme is marvellous but have you noticed civil anything is less interesting on all sites than military maybe offer a different colour scheme as well.

At least you did not decide to redesign the whole of the nose !!

regards
  20. barry

barry Active Member

Will

First it's beautiful, my only suggestion the colour scheme is marvellous but have you noticed civil anything is less interesting on all sites than military maybe offer a different colour scheme as well.

At least you did not decide to redesign the whole of the nose !!

regards