Building the RK&M II: Hillside & Grain Elevator Extension

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
The next part of the RK&M will involve connecting the railroad to the Grain Elevator Diorama and extending the main line past the grain elevator. I have begun to lay out the track configuration as seen in the next photos. In the photos the main line will be on the side of a hill/mountain. On the left side at the bottom there will be a stream/river. On the right will be the other side of the mountain. Eventually on top of the mountain the town will rest.

hillside_a_001a.jpg

hillside_a_002a.jpg

Here is another view looking the other way.

hillside_a_003a.jpg

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Tom...

Nice work. I like the way the track is not "arrow straight". Gives a real branchline feeling to the whole thing.

That grain elevator is also very nice... :D

Andrew

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Thanks Andrew!

I have finally gotten the road bed attached after several abortive attempts to do it. I had to glue down the foam base several times before I could attach the road bed.

hillside_b_001a.jpg

hillside_b_002a.jpg

hillside_b_003a.jpg

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
This is a nice "how to" for using foam Tom. I think a lot of people will appreciate following along. By the way, that grain elevator looks great!
Ralph

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Thanks guys! Hopefully I can deliver something for you.

I glued down some more foam to help space the hillside. I also added the Hunting Cabin. Well at least the approximate spot where it will go.

hillside_d_001a.jpg

hillside_d_002a.jpg

hillside_d_004a.jpg

And here is where the Passenger Station Diorama will tie in.
hillside_d_003a.jpg

MadCoW1

Hello Tom, Great thread!! I admire a man who is not afraid to carve a little foam. Nicely done, I'm diggin' the progress. Great work.

Johnny

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
I have been working on the caboose/office for the Cement Distributor lately. Last night I finally began weathering the track and ties. Hopefully pictures will be posted by the end of the weekend.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
I began weathering the track.

First I brush paint the sides of the rails and the ties with unthinned (straight from the bottle) Folk Art Asphaltum. It will take two coats to cover everything correctly. I slop it on pretty thick. Whatever gets on the top of the rail i remove with either my finger or a paper towel.

Here are a coupl of progress shots when I was halfway through the first coat.
hillside_e_001a.jpg

hillside_e_002a.jpg

Here is where the track blends into the Passenger Station Diorama

hillside_e_003a.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Thanks!

I have now finished weathering the rails and ties with a second coat of Folk Art Asphaltum.

hillside_f_001a.jpg

hillside_f_002a.jpg

hillside_f_003a.jpg