Building the 'new' Setagaya Japanese layout

redracer

With the extra insurance money the owner got from overstating the properties value, he was also able to extend his other property in the city area. You can see the original shop a couple of pictures back. Also several of the surrounding stores are now advertising sales !!!

Attachments

• pa110001m.jpg
    pa110001m.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 440

redracer

After a quiet period just getting the layout ready for a magazine article, I have taken some test pictures to show the addition of some nice detail items.

I acquired some A/C units and ducting, and billboard supports (in photo etched metal) and neon signs using Electroluminescence, from a company called Miller Engineering.

Unfortunately you cannot see the flashing neon signs in a photo, but you can see the metal products. Most don't even need to be painted.

Here you can see an A/C unit on the roof of the purple building.

redracer

In this shot the A/C is on the roof of the corner store in front of the bus stand..

Attachments

• pc180097m.jpg
    pc180097m.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 381

redracer

last one - the building to the right of the overhead crossing has an unused billboard support, and behind that an A/C with ducting.

Attachments

• pc180093m.jpg
    pc180093m.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 369
Charlie took the words right out of my mouth ...

Great to see some more shots of your city scenes. There are plenty of model railroads featuring industrial or rural scenes but few that feature the detail-rich environs of the central business district.

Great modelling!

Gavin

redracer

Thanks for the comments guys - it's a shame you can't see the moving neon lights and hear the sounds as well !!!

Somehow this stupid system didn't load up one of the pictures, so here is is again .... :curse:

Here you can see an A/C unit on the roof of the purple building.

Attachments

• pc180092m.jpg
    pc180092m.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 250
For some reason I particularly like that building you're using as a 7-Eleven (?).

I bought the Green Max kit. You have obviously doubled it up because the kit only has three floors above the ground floor, yours has more.

Must get around to building mine one day.

Gavin

redracer

Just for you Gavin, I ripped them off the layout to take the photos :rolleyes:

Here is the standard Tomix 7/11 which eveyone knows and loves - unfortunately you would not see them in a stand alone situation like this except in very outer suburban or rural areas.

Attachments

• 7-11.jpg
    7-11.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 376

redracer

Here is the Greenmax building, pretty much built straight out of the box. It is supposed to be a suburban station entrance, so you can see the stairs at the front next to the kiosk, and at the back is a great big hole where the walkway is supposed to be attached to take you to the platforms. Fortunately, you cannot see the back of this building on the layout :D

Attachments

• original.jpg
    original.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 378

redracer

Most Greenmax building kits are very versatile in that they are very suitable, and in some cases designed, for structure-bashing. I have made double size versions of just about all their kits, as you can see with this building. By chance I discovered that the upper floor section fitted perfectly on top of the 7-11 (it's not even glued on !!!). As any convenience store you see in a city will be usually the ground floor of a large building, it worked out perfectly :D

Attachments

• together.jpg
    together.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 437
I like the conversion Doug. (you didn't have to go to that much trouble!)

The Green Max building reminds me of older style medium rise office blocks I've seen here in Australia.

Mine won't be a station entrance either.

Obviously I'll have to scratch build a replacement ground floor (or use your 7/11 solution). It's great the way you can use two kits to produce a 6-storey building.

Gavin

redracer

You can just fill in the stairs portion with other walls, doors etc, like in did in this version of the buildings 'twin' :rolleyes:

Attachments

• theother.jpg
    theother.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 373

Arlaghan

Wow!

Lots of work (and time!) went into this and it came out superb! I envy you in that you are in my favorite phase - DETAILING! :D

Great job!

redracer

With an exhibition coming up, and new rolling stock to display, I decided I needed a yard/storage tracks at the front of the layout to display the new stuff. So something had to go - check back thru the thread to see what used to be on the LH end of the layout ....

Attachments

• P4110597m.jpg
    P4110597m.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 310