Building the 1/24 Ferrari 158

Discussion in 'Commercial & Civilian Vehicles' started by exzealot, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exzealot

exzealot Member

To all,

I have decided that I would build another race car, just to take breaks during my long design sessions. For some reason, I got hooked on these cars; probably because I built plenty of plastic versions as a kid (kits no longer available).

This model is available through www.halfmoonhobbies.com. They have tons of formula 1 cars of all types. Check 'em out if you haven't done so already.

This particular model is the Ferrari 158 - US GP 1965. I can't believe the detail in this model! I hope my level of model building skills is enough to do it justice!

Please provide your input and suggestions as the build progresses.

Ken
  2. exzealot

exzealot Member

A quick glance at the kit:

2 - A4 pages of parts and 1 instruction sheet.

The page on the left is mostly gray/black/white parts (dull finish), mostly drivetrain and suspension.

The page on the right is mostly parts for the body. The ink on this sheet reminds me of the ink that you typically find on business cards; shiny, but not as thick.

I can't wait to get started!

Ken

Attached Files:

3. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Such a classic design! I haven't built any cars myself but this one piques my interest. I'm sure that you'll give it the justice it deserves based on your own excellent designs and builds. I look forward to this thread.

Bob
  4. exzealot

exzealot Member

The first set of pictures shows the nose of the car. You can see how shiney the ink is.

Ken

Attached Files:

5. exzealot

exzealot Member

The second picture shows the inner windshield frame glued to the inside of the body. Thin clear cellophane will glue to the exposed flange, and then the outer frame will be glued over the cellophane. I don't know if that is how the model is meant to be built, but that I what I am doing.

The third picture is the tub. The gear shifter is on the right. The white ball is made from tacky glue - works great!

The last 2 pictures speak for themselves.

Ken

Attached Files:

6. exzealot

exzealot Member

I finished placing the cellophane windshield onto the inner flange that I glued to the inside of the tub earlier. Then I glued the red outer flange over the top of the cellophane. Again, this may not be the designer's intent, but that's what I did.

The part that you see is 4 inches long. (I need something to put in the photos for scale/reference)

Ken

Attached Files:

7. sr5nm

sr5nm Member

Excellent work.Looks like it will be a beautiful build.
  8. imavingalaughaswell

imavingalaughaswell Member

9. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Beautiful work, Ken. By the way, whose stupid idea was it to stop painting LARGE numbers on F1 cars? Even the TV announcers can't tell them apart. :curse:
  10. exzealot

exzealot Member

BARX2,

If I had to guess, I would say "money" drove off the large numbers. Advertising and sponsorship probably took over!

Ken
  11. papastumpy

papastumpy Member

You are absolutely right. Also ordered one last night, Lotus. I was floored by these kits. Will see how this one goes you are building, build mine, and then see about one of those 1/12 jobs. I was amazed at the number of classic F-1 cars that was available. Thanks for the site. Rick
  12. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

In todays modern cars there really isn't that much real estate to put a large number on. I love the old cars though. Modern cars are mostly about failure of technology. While they are so much safer then the cars of the 60's they are also pretty even except for the failures that can happen it's a race more of stamina then skill.

Great build so far. Looking forward to see what you do with the wheels and tires. They are such a big part of the earlier cars. In so many ways it's the personality of the car I think...
  13. exzealot

exzealot Member

Continuing with the engine and transmission...

Ken

Attached Files:

14. papastumpy

papastumpy Member

Oh Mommy!!!!!!!! Did you add ribs to the raised areas of the trans on that Redhead:thumb: I can not wait to get mine this week, though I am knee deep in another build at this time, I will get to it as soon as I can. In the mean time, I'll enjoy your build thread.:wave:
  15. exzealot

exzealot Member

papastumpy,

Nope. The paper is printed that way! I am building it just the way the instructions call for... except for the added windshield. You won't be disappointed with the model..

Ken
  16. exzealot

exzealot Member

The weekend is finally here!!

I added the intake plenum and pipes to the engine. These little boogers were a challenge! You can see how small they are compared to the #11 xacto blade. The last picture is Molly - the reason that all my models are stored "high and dry".

Ken

Attached Files:

17. Romanator

Romanator Member

Where did you get the giant knife and tweezers? :mrgreen:

Great work Ken, keep this up. I am astounded by the level of detail :thumb:
  18. exzealot

exzealot Member

Rear disc brakes and calipers.. Sorry for the fuzzy edges. My camera takes extremely close pictures. The axle stick is 2 mm diameter.

Ken

Attached Files:

19. papastumpy

papastumpy Member

I received my kit today and it is a beauty with the exception that the mailman folded:curse:. I have asked if I could get another copy since no one will fess up as to who creased the kits two printed parts.wall1 I did suggest the kit should be shipped in a small box:eek:. Noticed that the printed sheets are on a thin paper. Did you laminate to any other paper, or did you build from what comes in the kit:confused:. I am really enjoying your thread and pull up 1st thing to see if any new photo's have been posted. Do you intend to plumb/wire the engine?:wave:Rick
  20. exzealot

exzealot Member

Rick,

My model was sent between 2 pieces of cardboard. Hopefully, they will resend?? :confused:

I am using the parts straight from the pages. The ink is shiney, and I don't know of any good way to scan and preserve the graphics. The paper is thin, but there are multitudes of small parts that require thin paper.

I plan to add headers (painted solder), and ignition wires. Unless I chicken out.

Which Lotus did you get?

Ken
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.