Building of GREMIR HMS Onslow

jnyoun

I have some progress (pictures will be posted in the evening) and I thought it is going to be done soon. However, as I progress more and more, the finishing of this ship is getting harder and harder. Frankly speaking, I am afraid whether I am able to finish this ship soon.

So far, the construction has been based on the instructions, pictures and extra pictures(?). When I found the instructions, the building was fun and I enjoyed it. However, after I finished most of the parts (that intructions provided), there are still many parts left and there are many things that are not clear to me. Unfortunately, I am spending more time to figure out how to do it or where to put it instead of building itself.

Sometimes I could figure out how and where, but after done, when I found other's pictures, I found the building was not right. How frustrating it was to find out 'it was not right' after all the times I spent to figure out.....

Now, I am kind of tired of 'guessing and found wrong' chain.

Here are some lists of the issues on the instruction.

1. The pictures in the manual is too small (Of course, I can print it larger). However, in the computer monitor, there is no zoom function. It is very hard to see the details in computer monitor.

2. The pictures show only some angles of the ship. Specially, most of them are one side picture (let's say 'right'). I wanted to see how other side looks like. Unfortunately, no further information on that.

3. In the pictures, many parts are covered by other parts. For example, the 'boat' covers all the parts behind it. No instructions and figures behind it. However, I can see there are something behind it. What was it? No idea...

4. No instuctions on how to install 'boats'. There are total 4 boats, but only two boats are in the pictures. Also, it didn't say anything how to install on the deck. Around the boats, there are some parts attached to them. However, I couldn't figure out what they are. Or, if I spend lots of time, I may be figure out what they are.

5. There are many small parts on the deck, such as 'white dot' and 'line'. However, no instructions on what they are supposed to be... From extra pictures, I could figure out some though.

6. FUNDAMENTALLY, I didn't like the way how it is building. Currently, the building is mostly based on the pictures, not based on instructions. Why does the building this way? The pictures should be just supplementary, not essential in building.

Overall, I feel like the building is endless. I could not make a building plan ahead what I will do.

It is really a strange feeling that after I finished all the building shown in instructions, there are still lot of things to do and I feel like I don't konw how.... this may be a beginer's frustration?

barry

can I suggest you take a picture looking vertically down to the deck then it will be easier to understand your problem. Gremir models usually have a 2 view numbered drawing included in the package does this one?

shoki2000

jnyoun,
I will upload all the photos I have for this model to help you, but I cannot guarantee that they will answer all your questions.
If you have particular areas that give you problems, please post a photo of the particular assembly so we can try to figure it out together.

PS
DataViewer does have zoom function. Default setting to view the page is 12.5% but you can enlarge it simply by using drop down menu on top of the screen.

jnyoun

Hi Shoki2000,

Glad to know that there is a zoon function in Dataviwer. Somehow, I couldn't find an option menu to zoom. Could you give more detail how to zoom in?

The Dataviewer has the following drop-down menu. Which menu has 'zoom' in it?

Print setup
Print
Print all selected
Settings
Help
About
Exit

Thanks

jnyoun

Hi barry and shoki2000,

I will also try to take pictures of the current building in more details and I will ask for your help on my issues. Thanks.

shoki2000

jnyoun said:
Hi Shoki2000,

Glad to know that there is a zoon function in Dataviwer. Somehow, I couldn't find an option menu to zoom. Could you give more detail how to zoom in?

The Dataviewer has the following drop-down menu. Which menu has 'zoom' in it?

Print setup
Print
Print all selected
Settings
Help
About
Exit

Thanks

Oooops.... My bad. Shouldn't answer from work where I have no chance to check. My software has it, but not the DataViewer....
Here you can download all the photos supplied by the designer http://www.gremirmodels.com/Downloads/Onslow_Photos.zip

jnyoun

Hi Shoki2000,

Thanks for the pictures. They contain lots of information I was looking for. I will build more based on the pictures.

Thanks

jnyoun

Based on the new pictures, I found there were some mistakes in my building and I am fixing them now. The picture will be posted after the fix.

Thanks

jnyoun

Thanks to the second set of the pictures that Shoki2000 sent to me, most of the parts on the deck could be identified. Also, the pictures showed how to install the boats well. Seems like everything got back to normal.

The following pictures are the current progress. There are some inaccuratly built parts, but they were not fixable. It was too late when I received the second set of pictures. However, I am happy those mistakes are not serious.

Except the bottom, there are not many parts left on the parts papers. So, in next few days, I will be able to add 'mast' and railings.

Many thanks to everyone for valuable helps so far and also thanks to shoki2000 again for your set of pictures.

shoki2000

I can't believe that this is your first ever paper model, ok second since you re-started the Onslow :wink:
Judging by those photos I would say that you have real talent - this is going to be one good looking ship....

barry

Superb build !!

One point I think you left off the strips on the formers on the hull sides also I think you put glue all the way down the former edge. If you glue just the top and bottom the frames show less. Christoph always carefully sands the edges of the frames to match the curves as well.

If I'm wrong please ignore the comment

regards

jnyoun

Needs help.....

When you make a mast with piano wire, are you soldering them to glue a joint?

I tried a super glue and soldering, but they didn't work. Finally, I used 5 min Epoxy to glue them. However, the joint looks so bulky and ugly. I want to have a clean joint. :)

What is the best way to make a mast using piano wire? or any other better material?

Thanks

barry

Masts

You need copper wire try using 13 amp electric cable wires soldering steel wire is very difficult. Sort of stretch it staight, clean it, put flux on the joint solder it.

regards

B-Manic

Peripheral Visionary
mast with piano wire

When I use wire (more likely to use a sliver of bamboo) I wrap it in tracing paper. Then I am gluing to paper not metal. Sometimes I just wrap the end(s) that require gluing.

jnyoun

Thanks for quick replies.

The diameter is about 1mm. I tried it with paper, but it was hard to make a roll. I will try one more time. Also, I will try all the ways you guys suggested. :)

Thanks

JN