Building my own x-wing

dnalor

Oct 28, 2011
Belgium Europe
Thanks for all the kind words..
The cockpit looks great in reallife..
But i hope i can install it in the x wing...
somehow there isn't much space for the cables. :)

in the meanwhile i finished the first gun....AND DAMN...i hope i the 4th gun looks like the same as the first :mrgreen: (its really difficult for me)

Attachments

• 1 READY GUN.jpg
    1 READY GUN.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 24

dnalor

Oct 28, 2011
Belgium Europe
Almost ready..
Just a few little parts..and finally ready to attach them to the fuselage.

first the cockpit..

Attachments

• WINGS NEAR FINAL.jpg
    WINGS NEAR FINAL.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 32

dnalor

Oct 28, 2011
Belgium Europe
today all Leds are running in the cockpit..
but the next problem is...it doesn't fit in the fuselage..
so i have to cut some space in one of the ribs...

That idea of Zathros wasn't that bad :)
I should start to listen to other people then this would be easy :)

Attachments

• installing cockpit.jpg
    installing cockpit.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 26
Z

Zathros

It looks like you can cut the back fuselage former and stuff them in there, This is what I thought was going to happen. I used to have friends that made harnesses for every helicopter Sikorsky made,. They would lay the harness on a full sized board that had the full outline of the helicopter with areas coded represented solid walls, holes, etc., so they would know how the harness was going to look, and where to have disconnects. The wiring looks like it could be significantly reduced by using the micro crimp connectors. This would essentially have all the power leads to thee covered LED bulbs terminate at the firewall behind the seat. You could actually make that panel a board to plug the power leads into by making it an electronics panels such that if any repairs are needed, you mere pull a wire out of a hole and replace whatever may be necessary.

I attached a drawing to try and explain what I mean. It's not to scale, or the right shape, a represenatation, but it conveys the idea. It's kind of a panel box, without the box. Tinning the wire ends with solder would allow them to act as pins you would insert into the connectors. I would solder the power side into the pins. 1MM card stock and some crazy glue will hold the pins in place (plus a tight hole). This would allow you to place the wires flush against the fuselage. and the LED's inside the nose, or wherever is necessary.

Just a suggestion. It adds a lot of work though. Nothing more than a suggestion that popped into my head. :)

Attachments

• DN1.jpg
    DN1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 13
  • DN2.jpg
    DN2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 9
  • DN3.jpg
    DN3.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 10

dnalor

Oct 28, 2011
Belgium Europe
That connector part is a smart thing..
only i don't know if i want to repair a lightbulb when its burned out.
when i installed LEDS i hope they will last around 50.000 hours..
when the x wing will last also that long i'm a Very happy guy...when a few years shorter then just a happy one :)

So that fuselage-backformer will have to go or will be cut so that i have a little more space...

Z

Zathros

I can totally understand that. It's one of those things if you made an access panels, and had the LED's pushed in, with short Fiber Optics pieces 3 mm or so, sticking through the panel, it would be a good idea.

Like you say, these bulbs last for ever, except if they get a power surge. Otherwise, you will probably never need to replace them. It's looking great! :)

dnalor

Oct 28, 2011
Belgium Europe
YES it's in.
Tomorrow i need to take my laptop for testing the light....i hope they survived the installing :)
Then i can glue the cockpit in his final place..

YES

Attachments

• installing cockpit4.jpg
    installing cockpit4.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 23
  • installing cockpit2.jpg
    installing cockpit2.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 21
  • installing cockpit3.jpg
    installing cockpit3.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 22

ureeka2k

Jun 13, 2012
wow, that is incredible. love the size and detail, how are you going to display it when you are finished with the build?

dnalor

Oct 28, 2011
Belgium Europe
Well i want to place the x wing in flightmode against the wall, in my computer-room
one wall has the millenium falcon..
now another wall gets the x wing....when every thing goes how i plan :)

Then i have 2 walls left...:)

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
PLLEEEEAASSSEEEEEE can I get in and fly her????????????

Looks like you could.....!!! Nice job!

Ik heb net glasvezel in mijn huis geinstaleerd..... De monteur heb me rond 10m kabel, wat bestaat uit 96 individueel vezels, gebundeld in 9x12, achtergelaten......

Is die soort gebruikbaar voor modellen, en wat moet ik doen om er te testen???

I'm thinking it might come in handy for the Space Staion V model (yet to be built) for lighting.......... Sorry for the cr*p Dutch!! Even though your Belgian.. :)

dnalor

Oct 28, 2011
Belgium Europe
Ahum...for the dutch guys..:
Nee die glasvezel heb je niks aan die is te dun..
en als je die gaat schillen zit er een of andere rotzooi gel in (krijg je moeilijk uit de kleren) ik zou hem weggooien..
daar heb je echt niks meer aan..zelfs niet voor je netwerk.

En pasop dat je geen kleine stukjes glasvezel in je krijg of je er mee prikt want het is echt glas en flinter dun....en je vind het nooit meer terug. ook de dokter niet.

Je moet naar de action gaan daar heb je van die princessen toverstafjes met van die speelgoed vezeltjes..die heb ik gebruikt voor mijn cockpit.
AH je hebt ook van die ufo lampen...die fibers zijn ook goed voor zoiets.

For the english guys..

Real fiber-cables can't be used for models..
the fibers are to thin and fairly dangerous for you health.
You should use fibers that are used in toys...or those ufo lights with those fiber hairs.

Ah...and i am dutch i only live in belgium...:)

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
Ahum...for the dutch guys..:
Nee die glasvezel heb je niks aan die is te dun..
en als je die gaat schillen zit er een of andere rotzooi gel in (krijg je moeilijk uit de kleren) ik zou hem weggooien..
daar heb je echt niks meer aan..zelfs niet voor je netwerk.

En pasop dat je geen kleine stukjes glasvezel in je krijg of je er mee prikt want het is echt glas en flinter dun....en je vind het nooit meer terug. ook de dokter niet.

Je moet naar de action gaan daar heb je van die princessen toverstafjes met van die speelgoed vezeltjes..die heb ik gebruikt voor mijn cockpit.
AH je hebt ook van die ufo lampen...die fibers zijn ook goed voor zoiets.

For the english guys..

Real fiber-cables can't be used for models..
the fibers are to thin and fairly dangerous for you health.
You should use fibers that are used in toys...or those ufo lights with those fiber hairs.

Ah...and i am dutch i only live in belgium...:)

Yeah, I was warned about the dangers of that stuff....... OK, noted.

A bit more rubbish to join the 'grofvuil' from the last few weeks.......:rolleyes:

I LOVE ACTION!!!!! The shop, that is ...........
But a bit of action is always welcome too...... ;)

And a Dutchman living in Belgium............ Mmmm, I promise I wont make any jokes about it ....:mrgreen::rolleyes::twisted::mrgreen:

Patron_zero

May 5, 2008
.....Well i want to place the x wing in flightmode against the wall, in my computer-room.....

Any thoughts about having the wall surface behind the mounted model represent the tiled appearance of the Death Star ?

http://www.therpf.com/f11/death-star-surface-tiles-48049/

deathstartiles1.jpg

deathstartiles2.jpg

Z

Zathros

The bulkhead looks like it was perfect for the wires. I can't wait to see this baby a lit up! :)