Building my new layout

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
With such a large urban area, I trust that we'll eventually see some overhead and a PCC or two as part of operations: this could be true continuous running, maybe with a few pre-programmed stops, but not requiring a separate operator.

Wayne

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Looks very good Val! Some really nice kits in there.

I agree with Wayne... you need a streetcar line! Miniatronics makes a nice automatic stop circuit, you could have the PCC make regular stops in town.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Well, when I was planning this layout I thought long and hard about having a streetcar line. There are several reasons why I decided not to have an operational one, here they are in no particular order.
1. Downtown Toronto streetcars of the 50s were single pole, running under wire supported from guywires running off utility poles. This is really hard to model accurately and reliably. Most traction modelling uses pantographs and catenary because it runs better. Tension of the overhead and reliable contact between pan and wire is key to smooth running.
2. Cost - Orr girder rail, needs to be soldered to printed circuit board (over 3' x 12' this is a lot), proper trolley model by Bowser, unpainted, no pole is pricey and would need painting etc. The Bachmann trolley is not good enough to actually run.
3. Space: to be true to the prototype I'd need 2 sets of tracks, they would have to loop and that loop would obviously be behind the city. Unfortunately, that's where the trains are running. Run the trains along the front you say? No, sorry, Toronto doesn't look like that.

So, you see I'm stuck. I would have to spend too much time, money and space. Perhaps one day I will build a streetcar module... but if so, I would do it in O scale. All the good PCC models are O.

Val

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Will_annand said:
Val, how did I miss this thread???

You are doing a great job with your refit. Heck, your second effort has passed my first effort. I just can't find enough time to work on the layout.

Good job on new layout, keep it up and it will look awesome.

Thanks Will. I had a whole week off from teaching so that's how I was alble to find time! :D

MasonJar said:
That city scene is already awesome... can't wait to see it finished. I hope that your efforts end up in print someday Val - they are certainly worthy!

Thanks a lot Andrew. That would certainly be an honour!!

Val

railwaybob

Jun 15, 2003
Ottawa, Ont
www.railwaybob.com
Looks real cool.

A suggestion. Notwithstanding that you want to build your freights on the main line, you might want to reconsider things a bit, particularly if you've got more than one operator running the trains.

I would extend the yard lead at Parkdale back into that CPR spur. This way, you will be able to pull freights directly in off of the mainline out of the way and then use your switcher to sort the cars into their respective sidings in the yard. Or, alternately, you can build your freights on the main line but then pull them through the lead track out onto the CPR spur and onto the main line. your CN main line. This will give you a lot of flexibility. After all, one can never have a lead that is too long.

Also, you may find with your existing lead that it may not be long enough to pull all of the cars in a siding out into the lead. If you extend the lead out to the CPR spur, in effect, the spur becomes part of your yard lead.

Just some thoughts on the matter.

Bob M.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Interesting suggestions Bob, thanks. I could always extend the yard lead around the curve a bit, which wouldn't require any changes to the plan. I assume you already read my post about the real Parkdale Yard, and how they had to assemble trains on the main. To me this would add a time factor to switching the yard, which could either make operations more exciting, or more frustrating.

My last layout had a really long drill track, and it seemed to make things too easy. Anyway, I'll think about it. Thanks again.

Val

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Here's a little progress

I'm terraforming!! Got some risers put in today. This is for the double track main, coming out of the yard and going up and behind the city.

Val

Attachments

• P1010151.JPG
    P1010151.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 141
  • P1010152.JPG
    P1010152.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 139

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
looks sweet spitfire!question though are those risers store bought or handmade cause I'm going to need quite a few.but looking good man cant wait to see it finished and get some roll byes in!--josh

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Bigsteel - thanks! The risers are made by Woodland Scenics, and come in 2%, 3% and 4% grades. The neat thing about them is that they're easy to curve and my grade is on a curve. I was tempted to go for the 3% grade to get higher faster, but that's not a good idea on a curve so I stuck with 2% for better operation. :thumb:

Gary S. - thanks. I am a huge fan of urban modelling, and you could say I built the layout around that city. :D

Val

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Wow!! you have been busy Val, It is great once you have the "thing" sorted out in your head.

Then to see it all come together, looks like you have / will accomplish most of what you taked about, er a few years ago:) with Brian and I.

Pity about the PCC line but I agree, cost and time is a big thing, and like you said a O gauge model will be great for running ability, Horse shoe Vally O gauge street cars layout springs to mind .

Comig along great mate!:thumb:

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Val,
Hate to say it, but my being a way I can see you've changed...
Your work is even better!!
I am most jealous of your City. I sat to long to get the one's from Lunde Studios in N. Now I'm practically, checking their site everyday for the Kits...

Good to see you're still in it.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Chris - thanks my friend! I will have a dummy streetcar track - at least that's something. :D

Gary and Ken - good to see you both back here again. Thanks for the kind words. :wave:

I've been busy with work all week, but the weekend is finally here and I hope to be posting some more progress photo's soon.

Val

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
More progress

I have completed the first riser section, and given it a base coat of brown paint.

I had a little setback this weekend, when on Friday night I started seeing flashes of light in the corner of my right eye. This can be a symptom of a detached retina, so with great trepidation I headed down to the hospital emergency. I was there from 10 pm to 6 am - and I can tell you that a big city hospital emergency area late on a Friday night is a pretty scummy place to be... :(

I had to go back at 11 am Saturday to see the opthamologist, and what a relief to learn that there was no retinal detachment. It turns out it's what they call Posterior Vitreous Detachment, and nothing to worry about unless the flashing comes back worse. I won't go into major detail, suffice it to say I spent the afternoon sleeping, and didn't get anything done on the layout until Sunday.

Soooo...... I moved on to the countryside section where the river will be. I've curved it so that the 2 bridges will not be parallel - I think that will look better. I built the new Atlas bridge I bought last week, and started sculpting the river banks.

Here's a couple shots.

Attachments

• P1010155.JPG
    P1010155.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 58
  • P1010157.JPG
    P1010157.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 58
  • P1010158.JPG
    P1010158.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 58