Building my layout...

jbaakko

Part by part it begins coming togeather!

sl00015.jpg

sl00002.jpg

sl00010.jpg

sl00017.jpg

Here's an update from today.

sl00018.jpg

Three modules along the wall. More to go still.

sl00019.jpg

Top framing detail. I've opted for an "H" design instead of a box, to have less to bump into, and make it lighter & cheaper.

rogerw

Good start Josh. I am at about the same spot with my construction. I go in for shoulder surgery this friday than I get a couple of months of rehab. I plan on getting alot more done on the layout then.

jbaakko

Whew shoulder surgery, whats wrong with it? Between myself, the Navy & the VA we've all determined that its safer not to screw with my shoulder. Specifically the VA is worried that if they attempt to fix nerve & tendon damage, they'll cause more damage.

rogerw

got a 30% tear on one of the tendons on rotator cuff. I went in for surgery 8 months ago but they wait till its 50 % torn before a repair. So they just cleaned up the bone and hoped it wouldnt get any worse. But they think it torn some more. This is on my left shoulder. I tore the right shoulder rotator cuff 7 years ago, completly detached it. They fixed it and havent had a problem since. WE have some good surgeons here.:thumb:

Nomad

Josh, you are off to a great start:thumb: Keep us posted on your progress. Roger, good luck on your surgery, also keep us updated on your surgery.

Loren

rogerw

Thanks Loren. Josh I am going to start a post of my layout progress and hope you are a motivater for me with your progress.:thumb::mrgreen::mrgreen:

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
looks like some good preogress there josh :thumb:,this is gonna be on SWEET layout :mrgreen:.--josh

jbaakko

Thanks guys!

Good luck with that surgery Roger! Can't wait to see the layout.

I'll be sort of delayed the next few days, Wife has friends over until Thursday morning, and the kid is under a year, so I'll avoid cutting foam, or even painting anything. Just going to work on the station.

jbaakko

Roger, its a Giant U. The far wall is a dead end, industry, and where I was shooting from in the 2nd shot, will be another dead end, no full loop (yet). There's going to be staging, where I was standing in the first shot.

zachary, its 1x2 & 1x4 board. The leg section is a square frame with a single lengthwise brace at the top, to keep the legs from moving around. Its not quite "perfect" has I'm using a hand saw, but its good enough, since the modules will be tied to each other, I can shim the layout to be level afterwards.

jbaakko

Not much progress to report, I've been slowly working on fitting buildings, though I've gotten one module's roadbed mostly laid out.

Question... Here's two options for the track work under the Walthers crane, in my scrap yard, which is better, off set farther from the office building, or centered?
sl00026.JPG
sl00027.JPG

Santa Fe station...
sl00028.JPG
sl00029.JPG

Live animal & cell phone weight testing. sign1:curse:
sl00024.jpg

Grain complex. Grain tower to receive by rail for local bread manufacturer (next door).
sl00023.jpg

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Sweet Pics Josh!!!

For the scrap yard, i like the tracks offset (further over and not centered)

Nice Santa Fe Station too, and the Red Wing Flour Mill and ADM Grain looks nice too!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

jbaakko

Just a minor update. Some roadbed is glued down now.

Attachments

• sl00034.JPG
    sl00034.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 12
  • sl00035.JPG
    sl00035.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 10
  • sl00036.JPG
    sl00036.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 14
  • sl00037.JPG
    sl00037.JPG