Building materials?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by doc_harvey, May 6, 2006.

1. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

So I'm wandering around Radio Shack today and I see blank computer boards...has anyone here ever used them to stiffen up larger, flat surfaces?
    Except for being slightly cost prohibitive, and somewhat limited in the sizes that you can buy, I can't see a real good reason not to use them when building a model.....they looked like they'd be pretty easy to cut down to size and since they're so thin and light weight they seem to be an ideal way to strengthen surfaces that don't have any buttresses....any thoughts?
  2. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

So I'm wandering around Radio Shack today and I see blank computer boards...has anyone here ever used them to stiffen up larger, flat surfaces?
    Except for being slightly cost prohibitive, and somewhat limited in the sizes that you can buy, I can't see a real good reason not to use them when building a model.....they looked like they'd be pretty easy to cut down to size and since they're so thin and light weight they seem to be an ideal way to strengthen surfaces that don't have any buttresses....any thoughts?
  3. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Doc

I assume you are referring to the copper clad circuit boards, you will find these to be difficult to cut and shape they are fiberglass and tough on saws and such. Try laminating 67lb paper with 3M 77 spray glue if you rotate the paper 90 degrees between layers (4 layers for 1 mm stock) the end product is very strong (stronger then basswood) and relatively easy to work with.

Jim Nunn
  4. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Doc

I assume you are referring to the copper clad circuit boards, you will find these to be difficult to cut and shape they are fiberglass and tough on saws and such. Try laminating 67lb paper with 3M 77 spray glue if you rotate the paper 90 degrees between layers (4 layers for 1 mm stock) the end product is very strong (stronger then basswood) and relatively easy to work with.

Jim Nunn
  5. Gil

Gil Active Member

Milled Glass Fibre with Acrylic Modeling Paste

Hi All,

If you want to build something out of paper that's nearly indestructable try mixing milled fiberglass with acrylic modeling paste as a layer adhesive. Milled fiberglass can be found at plastic shops and acrylic modeling paste can be found at any art supply shop. Cut all parts to shape before laminating with the paste milled glass mixture. Use a 1 to 2 part milled glass fiber to 4 parts paste. Spread uniformly on the one surface and sandwich the other part or parts between a press until dry (several days). An individual can get very creative with this stuff espesically when the layers are pressed in a mold...,

-Gil
  6. Gil

Gil Active Member

Milled Glass Fibre with Acrylic Modeling Paste

Hi All,

If you want to build something out of paper that's nearly indestructable try mixing milled fiberglass with acrylic modeling paste as a layer adhesive. Milled fiberglass can be found at plastic shops and acrylic modeling paste can be found at any art supply shop. Cut all parts to shape before laminating with the paste milled glass mixture. Use a 1 to 2 part milled glass fiber to 4 parts paste. Spread uniformly on the one surface and sandwich the other part or parts between a press until dry (several days). An individual can get very creative with this stuff espesically when the layers are pressed in a mold...,

-Gil