Building Lighting

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
So here's my question of the week. The Wheat Kings & Pacific layout is coming along quite nicely, and I'm about to start placing buildings and wiring two additional buses (apart from track) - one for accessories, and one for night lighting.

So here's finally the question - what's a good wattage light for the inside of buildings ??? I don't want them too bright, but just sort of an ambient light effect. Are the grain of wheat bulbs too small ??? They seem like they would be to me.

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
Ha Mike, There was a thread about this a while back but I can't remember which forum. Mabye you could find it with the search function. LED's seem to be the bulb of choise these days.

up_santafe

Dec 15, 2004
Wisconsin Northwoods
I use mainly 14/16v GOW and GOR bulbs in most of my buildings. Gives a nice soft incandescent glow. In buildings that I want a brighter light, I use 12v. I have also used 12v small automotive bulbs (like for side markers) in some larger brightly lit buildings,(like my Engine House, Church, JD Dealer, Firehouse & Freight Station) but you have to make sure there is lots of air space around the plastic building or you will melt it! (The voice of experience!) See my photos at the link in my signature.

All of the street lights are hand made using 14/16v GOW. I use a Cir-Kit Concepts model CK1009D 40 watt power pack and am running 60 bulbs at present.

Also, all of my building interiors are painted with 2 or 3 coats of acrylic craft paint, mixed to the interior color you want to make sure they don't "glow".

I have also used some poster board view blocks to seperate different stories, etc.