building CSS Charleston

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
Hi All

Just thought that I would post a few pics of the latest model that I've been building of the CSS Charleston. I've had some question in my mind as to the shape of the bow and sincw there aren't too many/any plans or pics/drawings that clearly show the bow I've gone with the best guess that i like. The plan that I used is the one in P.C. Cokers book named "Charlestons Maritime Heritage". It shows the accepted plan of the Charleston as well as the plan for the torpedo boom at the bow.

Vernon

Attachments

• DSCN1150.jpg
    DSCN1150.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN1155.jpg
    DSCN1155.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN1153.jpg
    DSCN1153.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 55

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
Hi Gregg

They maybe to deep across the top frame but with the casemate ends and sides test fitted on it looks pretty good. I want to make the grating in the manner that it was made for the HMS Victory so the frame will be slightly visible. I'd love to build a model of one of these ships with all the frames in the hull and casemate or with the casemate half open to show the interior in the manner of the Cottage Ind. Palmetto State.

Vernon

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
This is a closeup of the casemate. I'm rebuilding this now and have upsized it to 1/100.
Vernon

Attachments

• casemate closeup.JPG
    casemate closeup.JPG
    994.5 KB · Views: 26

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
This was an old thread, I am assuming you have started a new model by upscaling the previous one? If so, very cool! I love the way this looks and look forward to your finishing of her. Great subject matter. You could have started a new thread, but continuing it here is perfectly fine, as you are the Original Poster. :)