Building Bachmann's Ambassador Hotel

FrankG

Nov 19, 2004
Val, just a thought....I don't know what's over the font doors there, but this hotel has a similar feel/shape to NY's old Biltmore Hotel. Same U shape....just on a much larger scale. Over the doors (inside the U shape), the Builtmore had an outdoor garden/courtyard with a fountain in the middle. Just saw that in a book (New York 1900) and through of your hotel.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Val: something you might try to save some work: print the curtains on transparency. Then you don't have to cut out the middle.
However, I did try this once using photocopy and the results were far too transparent. If it worked, it would save much intricate cutting of curtains.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Interesting idea David - however they're all done now. :) :)

Frank, I found an old postcard of that hotel online - it's very nice, or was. A lot bigger than this one however, and there wouldn't be room for a fountain I'm afraid.

I painted some figures today for the first floor. They all have to be installed before the ceiling can go on and further progress on the building.

These photo's didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, but here goes anyway.

Val

Attachments

• doorman1.jpg
    doorman1.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 36
  • people1.jpg
    people1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 38

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Neat photos Val, can almost hear the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzs coming from those relaxing inside. The doorman is so well decorated you must have stolen him from the Royal York.

FrankG

Nov 19, 2004
Val,

What happened to this one? I was so into reading the progress on this!

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Well Frank, what happened was summer arrived and I quit smoking - so I've been spending as much time as possible outside. I did pick up some cool materials for the top floor niteclub, but probably won't get any real progress made on the project until fall rolls around.

Val

petepuma

Jan 26, 2005
Salem, Oregon
Holy Smokes! WHere was I when this little gem of a thread was started up?? That's fantastic work Val!! Especially the lights. I'm a lighting designer as part of my job and I have to say the lights you did up are perfect! Great job!

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
Hey folks, I think val`s a bit of a fisherwomen, she throu`s out the bait (this little gem) the she walks off and leaves us dangleing, nice, very nice....have a good one..steve

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Aw, he cheats, using a computer.

That was a joke, of course. It really is an awsome model and a great job at super detailing. Any of you "old guys" remember what it was like "without" computers. It's amazing how far the MRR world has come since the advent of the personal comp. Thank God for the new throw away printers. Ten years ago a quality color printer was rather expensive, now, the average Joe can own one and exploit thier hidden talents.

Now, if the ink would come down in price...

great job Val. Keep us posted.

FrankG

Nov 19, 2004
I'm crushed, Val. As a smoker myself, I find that working on the MRR is the only time I don't smoke! But then again, the wife won't let me smoke in the house. So the MRR wins. But....I guess I'll suffer through the summer.... but damn if I'm not looking to seeing the beauty finished! Probably partially selfish reasons -- I think my next structure is going to be a hotel.

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
ditto on the MRR vs. smoking.

Get into "super focus mode" and I don't even feel the urge.

At $5 a pack, there's alot of modeling parts and tools that that could be bought and put to better use. Ever try scratch building a cigarette? Saves money, but you sure get funny looks from people.

I gotta quit...

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
I am very pleased to hear that you kicked the weed habit Val. Just think of all that money now going to model railroading instead. I like you, have been spending a lot of time outdoors enjoying this hot weather we are having. This is what we looked forward to all winter.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Yay Val...! to both quitting smoking and continued progress on the hotel.

I think I will be the lone dissenter when it comes to the weather - too hot! Bring on the Fall colours, temperatures, and even some snow! :D :D :D

Andrew