Building and Kitbashing the Walthers N Scale Rolling Mills

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Can I have that when you're done building it?

:D

Seriously, it looks like a great building.
Will tehre be more mechanisms and such going inside that we'll be able to see on the open underside?

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Will tehre be more mechanisms and such going inside that we'll be able to see on the open underside?
HEY,that would be cool too,you can show it in the contest then add the entire complex in it later.i plan on doing it in my mill but have never seen the whole mil filled in before.try it,you might like the challenge!
--josh

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Thanks Cannonball, name your price and we have a deal... JK JK JK I would never sell this baby, i like her to much already to give her up :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Now as for the stuff inside, I do plan to have lots of stuff inside, including working lights!! I want to add some cool lil accessories but I just gotto find them first. Like some steel slabs, some coils, lots of people and lots of gons and coil cars and even some flatbed trucks. I wanted tpo add an overhead crane but I would have to do a lotta chopping on the crane to make it fit on the rails. I might still do it after the contest but idk. It would scertainly add more realism, probbly should do 2 of them in there since the building is so long!!

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Roof_Gap_1.jpg

Here are some pics of the Roof Gaps. As you can see, they are only were the 2 roof pannels come to a point at the top.

Roof_Gap_2.jpg

sorry for such blurry pics lol but you get the picture, the gaps are pretty bad.

Roof_Gap_3.jpg

This is the center of the roof were the 2 buildings were bashed together. You had to cut the edges of the roof pannels. Well I thought I did them ok but I guess not lol so I will be using a small amount of joint compound to fill in the gaps and then sand it down and spray it again with the paint.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Mill_Overview.jpg

Overall shot of the Mill

Mill_Overview_2.jpg

Nuther overall shot of the Mill, she is 23" long!!!!

Mill_Overview_3.jpg

Shot from ground level

Mill_Supports.jpg

Look down the outside of the supports

View_Thru_Right_Door.jpg

View looking in the Right Side Door and down the Mill Floor (dont mind the green hose in the backround lol)

View_Thru_Center_Door.jpg

View from the Center Door. The crane rails on the sides are were the 2 overhead cranes would rest on.

View_Thru_Left_Door.jpg

View from the Left Door. I like how the trusses look up in the roof sections :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
WOW,you are incredible trucklover.not only are you FAST you can do it right at the same time! im stuck with one or the other :D --josh

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Josh,

Thanks man!! I to am suprised at how well this came out overall and how fast I built the whole thing (it was something like 3 to 4 hours total so far). I really am exited to weather this HUGE mill to match the blast furnace.

Jesso,

Thanks!! I know, I can't believe that it is 23" long, this and my blast furnace are my biggest and longest buildings I have, and they are N scale and all my other buildings are HO!!!!

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Added some decals to the mill just now (warning bad pics) lol

USS_Mill_Logo.jpg

Wide shot showing the 2 blue USS logos on either end

USS_Mill_Logo_2.jpg

Close-up of the USS Davis Works logos

Mill_Ends.jpg

Shot showing what the ends look like. Both ends are the same as far as decals go. Both have the big blue and white USS logo, the "Quality Made in the USA" sign, and starting from the left side on the bottom are a stop sign, Danger Hot Metal sign, Danger Crane Operating Overhead sign, Wear Hard Hat sign, another Wear Hard Hat sign, another Danger Crane Operating Overhead sign, another Danger Hot Metal sign, and another Stop sign.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
(in borat voice) that is NICE,so uh you uh like'a to build a miniature's? it is more beautiful than my muther,she is 88.....sign1 sign1 sign1 great looking structure josh.--josh​

Nazgul

Josh...That is FLAT-OUT AWESOME!!!!! What a great job you've done on it! You just keep amazing me project after project....keep it up buddy!!!:thumby: :thumby: :thumby: :thumby: :thumby:

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Cannonball, Thanks

Josh, thanks, lmao, that movie was pretty funny.

Steve, Thanks so much man, that means a lot to me coming from you

nscaler, thanks man, I just read the directions and take it slow and steady.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Sorry Josh, I havn't done any weathering yet to the Rolling Mill. Hopefully this weekend I will start it and have some pics by next week sometime :mrgreen:

I gotta focus on the Coke Oven rite now because tha contest ends on the 31st and I gotta make the deadline :mrgreen:

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Okay, since the deadline was pushed back to June 15th for the contest this will be entered in I figured I would kitbash the Overhead Crane inside the Mill to. I started work on shorting the crane. I had to shorten it from 7 3/4" to 6 1/4" to fit inside the Mill.

Here is a pic, I shortened the crane sides and added one of two Overhead cranes. I have to say, these are a pain in the rear trying to thread the cranes but it is worth it in the end because it looks awesome.

Overhead_Crane_Hook_1.jpg

First Crane Assembly added, one down, one to go

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
that is really turning out cool :thumb: i for one dont lie using thread,i use peices of wire since i think it looks more realistic but thats just me.hell,ill probably use wire just cause its faster cause i need to make 1,2....4 OF THEM!!!!.oh well,nobody said i had to be fast :mrgreen: --josh

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
bigsteel said:
for one dont lie using thread,i use peices of wire since i think it looks more realistic but thats just me.

Gosh Josh, TEE HEE, I get that all the time from my girl freinds lmao

That is an AWESOME idea and would make things WAY EASYER!!!! I have tons of wire just laying around and with the wire I wouldn't have to deal with tieing those dang tiny knots around the Microscopic pieces (not really microscopic just really small lmao) Now why didn't I think of that wall1 wall1 wall1 wall1 I even saw the wire cause it was rite next to the thread!!! :eek:ops: :eek:ops: :eek:ops:

Thanks so much Josh!! :D goldtoth1 tooth1 :cool: :thumb: :thumb: bounce7