Building a Trebuchet

Dancooper

Hi:

I tried to find pine or other more resilent wood with the same section, but conclude I would have to to trim them to the right dimension and I don't have the right tools. Bought balsa with the right dimensions, tinted them to look like aged oak wood, but still undecided as to go or not forward with it.
The model is very simple. I hope I didn't gave the feeling it is dificult to build. I got entangled with the rigging, but the construction itself is a weekend project. The textures are beautiful. So the author -Miss Sheila Mertens - deserves most of the compliments for doing such a fine project.
Regards
Carlos

Hello Carlos,

Actually I did find pine in the right dimensions a couple of years ago, and started to build up the trebuchet, a couple of pictures is you don't mind me hostaging your log :
Trebuchet_002.jpg

Trebuchet_003.jpg

At that point, I thought the wood looked too clean, no way they would have smoothed the wood to furniturequality in the field, so chopped up all the beams with a hobbyblade with the folliwing result :
Trebuchet_010.jpg

And that's how it's still standing on the attick till I find time to rig it :
Trebuchet_016.jpg

Sorry for posting my work in your thread, you can remove it if you think it's intruding.

Z

Zathros

I moved this into it's own thread. This is the proper way to do this, and your post really does deserve it's own thread. You can go back to Carlo Felipe's thread and reference this one there, if you wish. It's not good to "Hijack" a thread, it creates confusion ("Hijack in the sense of the action, not because there was any bad intent, which there most obviously wasn't :) ). Thanks.

Extremely nice job, I look forward to you finishing it and see more pictures. :)

Dancooper

Thank you for creating it's own thread, Zathros, but it's kind strange to have a buildthread of a wooden model in a papermodelling society... well on the other hand, all paper has been wood in an earlier life, I suppose :)

Thank you for the comment DC... I guess I'll have to start working on it again after I've finished the Peter of Danzig.
What I already did do yesterday, is go see on the attick if the trebuchet still was in one piece, and I'm glad to be able to say, that I have brought it back down without a scratch (well, except the ones I made on purpose ofcourse, lol) on it.

Z

Zathros

Not really, this is card models, just showing how card models can be made to work, and other options. We do trains here too and have an R/C section. :)

carlos filipe

carlos filipe
Hi DanCooper:
Sorry for not replying. For personnal reasons I have been away from modeling and visiting forums, I missed this topic. I like the chopped effect on your beams, it gives a more realist look. A very good detail.
Regards
Carlos