Building a model SR-71 around the display stand

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by jlinscheid, Aug 12, 2005.

1. jlinscheid

jlinscheid Member

Rummaging through my years of collected junk I've run across something that has given me an inspiration.

Years ago I acquired a piece of this airplane from the very scrap heap pictured on this web site (long story):
    http://www.wvi.com/~sr71webmaster/Luzon.html

What I have is a titanium 'T' bracket that held the aircraft's skin to the underlying skeleton.

It struck me that it would make a perfect mount for a scale model of a SR-71. The base is a rectangle approximately 6" long by 3" wide, with the I part of the T being a right triangle about 3 inches tall centered along the long axis. I know a picture is worth a thousand words, and I'll try to get one posted.

I'd like to get a couple of planes under my belt before attemping this since I want to do it right, but what what would you guys recommend as far as a kit that would do justice to an actual part of the airplane? I'd like to modify the kit to reflect the tail number and unit the plane was assigned to.

Thanks!
    James
  2. jlinscheid

jlinscheid Member

Rummaging through my years of collected junk I've run across something that has given me an inspiration.

Years ago I acquired a piece of this airplane from the very scrap heap pictured on this web site (long story):
    http://www.wvi.com/~sr71webmaster/Luzon.html

What I have is a titanium 'T' bracket that held the aircraft's skin to the underlying skeleton.

It struck me that it would make a perfect mount for a scale model of a SR-71. The base is a rectangle approximately 6" long by 3" wide, with the I part of the T being a right triangle about 3 inches tall centered along the long axis. I know a picture is worth a thousand words, and I'll try to get one posted.

I'd like to get a couple of planes under my belt before attemping this since I want to do it right, but what what would you guys recommend as far as a kit that would do justice to an actual part of the airplane? I'd like to modify the kit to reflect the tail number and unit the plane was assigned to.

Thanks!
    James
  3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

5. jlinscheid

jlinscheid Member

Indeed!

Thanks!
  6. jlinscheid

jlinscheid Member