Building a Junk Yard

Discussion in 'The Academy' started by Fred_M, Mar 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

I think I'll build a little junkyard. So I started casting some tires from a mold I made with clear automotive silicon. I added some junk from the build box and laid out the road to match up with the module next to this one. The junk yard will be next to the Sanford Arms, fitting? I started on a cardboard building to see if I can emmulate Robin a little.:) Can one screw up a junkyard? Let's see.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      51.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

I find some tires I like; preferably new and un-used so they still have some mold release on them from manufacturing. I then glue them to a small sheet of styrene and build a dam around them with 1/4 wood colored with crayon for a "no stick"surface. You could then use liquid silicone from micomark at $25 a quart (ouch!). I use clear RTV from the local autoparts store ($3 a tube). Put some on your finger and rub it in, on, and around the tires. The secert is to get a thin bubble free coat on the tires. Watch where they meet the plastic they are glued to. Let that thin coat cure and apply another thin coat the same way. After that you can start getting heavier into the filling. When you are done the silicone should be level with the strip wood in 4 to 5 coats. Make sure it cures well (i wait 2 more days). Then you can peel off the wood dams and peel the mold from the pattern working in a circle. Now you can cast tires/parts from thin plaster (no releasing agents needed). If there were any airbubbles in the mold they will be knobs on the parts which can be trimmed off if desired. If you try to make another mold you will need mold release as the silicone will stick real good next time and you will ruin the mold and/or pattern trying to seprate them. Same if you used "clean" parts the first time. I have tried scotchguard and pam as mold release, but wasn't happy with them. WD-40 works but is easy to overapply which then causes the casting to be soft/blurry. Maybe some day I'll break down and buy the expensive stuff when I win PowerBall. FRED

Attached Files:

3. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

As i was driving to work this morning an idea on tires hit me, so I did an experiment and it works great. Instead of plaster wheels/tires, which limits production to 2 casts a day, why not try something else. So I fired up the HIGH tempature hot melt glue gun and put a stick of COOL temp glue in it and filled my molds with really hot cool hot melt glue. I then stuck the mold in the freezer for a while (10 min.) and out popped nice castings. I then quickly trimmed two and hit them with Walmart flat black paint and it stuck! These are wonderful tires. I bet this would work for other parts too. FRED

Attached Files:

4. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Thank's for the link Andrew, I've been visiting that site since all's they had was how to build foam core structures.;) So I like got the walls to the cardboard building done. I scanned it as my scanner shows detail better than my digicam. I cheated and used plastic windows.:p FRED

Attached Files:

5. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Progress photo.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      50.6 KB
      Views:
  6. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

I gathered up a pile of tires this afternoon to haul to the dump. I cast them from hot melt glue. Or maybe I'll wait to after dark and burn them. :sleeping: FRED Darkness hides the smoke from law enforcement.

Attached Files:

• pile.jpg
      pile.jpg
      File size:
      54.6 KB
      Views:
  7. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Come to the weeney roast

Ever have tire roasted weenies and marshmellows? They were good until radials came along and added that metal taste to the recipe. Have a nice safe weekend. FRED:wave:

Attached Files:

8. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Why yes it is.:) We bought it cheap from some soldier boys and was gonna cut it up. Jim, god rest his soul, went out with a cutting torch and, ever hear of "ree-active armour"? Anyway, we decided to turn it into an Ayee Tee Vee and use it fer duck huntin. We are thinkin it can't get stuck in the swamp. And it's green like our blind. What ya think, will it work? FRED
  9. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

I been playing with casting parts and weathering junk.

Attached Files:

10. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

I also cut up some lifelike cars/trucks for "clips". FRED

Attached Files:

11. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Made a roof out of cardboard and tape and weathered it to look like roll roofing. Then took the unit and put it on the module where it belongs. FRED

Attached Files:

12. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

close up

Attached Files:

13. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Got a side tin fence built and installed, next front fence. FRED

Attached Files:

14. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Thank's guys :oops: FRED There's more to do yet.
  15. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Thanks Robin, but part of it is your fault. You are the one who inspired me to build from paper and cardboard. In fact Robin, it was ye whom brought me to the gauge to start with. On another forum someone posted a link to a couple of your works and I jumped on over here and was hooked. SO anybody who don't like me, blame Robin. :D It's his fault. FRED
  16. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Thank you all for your comments. Today I put a sign on the wood front fence I'm building. Cool new effect I think. I named the yard after our feerless leader. Hope he don't mind. FRED

Attached Files:

17. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Fence installed

Attached Files:

• junk.jpg
      junk.jpg
      File size:
      54.4 KB
      Views:
  18. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest