Building a complete 1841 Depot. roundhouse, shops, train shed and station.

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
*Tom, ( D.G.)and John, it wouldn't fit no other way. I seen a photo of a larger roundhouse with a small turntable where the house was closer to the table and each track overlapped twice., and made a row of diamond shapes. That is much more difficult to make than these long V shapes. But wow, does it look good. Also this area only has one switch were the other way it would have been two. the second would have needed a additional board added to the west to allow it to fit properly. I want to stick to the original plain for this dorama and not add another board to this 3 board depot. The 200 by 400 foot blocks have been shortened up to where I can't make them any smaller. The second board is Green Street going North and South with the two tracks becoming threee crossing the street. The rest of the second board is just track leading to the depto buildings which are on the third board. they are the train shed and the head house. This board may also include Hudson Street and part or all of the ferry slip and maybe even make the the 1941 Ferry named "Aresseoh". I think I can make it to. I don't know if it will fit. I got some stuff from my friend Charlie. It is a smaller scale model of the sidewheeler steamboat. When measured in HO Scale it is very close to the size of "Aresseoh".
* So I won't be done with this build for a long time to come. You will, if you follow this thread have to live with my stumbling and bumbling for a time yet to come.
* Let me tell you again . Thanks for the posts. Keep them coming.
frank

Last edited:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Looks great!! I doubt anyone could, or would have the grounds to say otherwise. :)

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
* To all those who tried to make sense of my last post right up to a few minutes ago, I am sorry. I composed and published it way to fast. Spell check missed a whole lot of stuff. I rambled on and spoke how I was trying to make this diorama on the 3 boards which was totally unnecessary. I think the text makes sense now.

* Here is a part of the 1848 Jersey City map showing what I am trying to make. To the west at Washington St. the two buildings are my current build. The track running to the Depot on Hudson Street is the second section. The depot itself, and possibly the ferry is the last section.

JC Depot - s.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: zathros

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Wow, that explains a lot. This will be one awesome layout! ;)

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
I started on the Car Manufactory building. I have the four walls cut to size. I have been looking at what windows I have. I am still searching for windows . It is going to have a false front peak on the Washington Street wall, with a flat roof . Like the other roofs it will be removable. This roof will have skylights in it.
frank

Last edited:
Reactions: zathros

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
It's important to know that this is more than a "layout" or "Diorama", it is a recreation of a real place, and a time, quite unique in our history. The 1848 Jersey City Railroad Depot and surrounding area, very cool stuff. :)

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
I've chosen brick for wall of the second building the Car Manufactory Building. The view I have is of one half the Washington Street west front. I have much less info for this building. I do know the foundation size and shape. This view shows half of a peaked roof line but because of the building shape My guess it is a flat roof with a decorative front facade that appears to have a peaked roof. The facade is shaped just like the ones on the locomotive building I have just about done though not recessed. I hope you keep viewing so as to see this building during its construction. The front Washington Street side wall will be recognizable as the correct building from what is seen on this 1841 lithograph. The other three wall I will have to make up. There are no views of these walls. The south street side wall along Mercer Street will have an upper row of windows of the type used on the Washington Street west wall and the small east wall that has only one second level window and a double door with a window above it. The north wall which receives the least amount of sunlight, I really don't know what to do with yet. I won't know till I lay this wall down in front of me along with the windows that I have. Then try some patterns of window placement. I guess for now that will have to do. I must remember that the view from the north facing windows is the best place to see the locomotive Manufactory building and turntable, and the best place to put the small offices of the lower level employee supervisors who are the overseers of this railroad. All trains coming into and leaving this depot will pass under these windows.

* All 4 walls have their window holes cut in them. I need to get some brick red paint now.
Tomorrow will be just fine.

MVI_3893_.jpg

Last edited:

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
*Here is these walls painted with the windows in place.I'll keep trying and edit it in.
**Also I have started to build this, and have two walls up at this time. I have a photo for that also.
frank

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Picture Uploading will be working soon. Always check "New Posts' to get the latest news about such things, or the "Site News" section, where I post what's going on. It should be fixed soon.

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
zathros, I seen your message in new posts. It's photo time.
The building has four walls , is painted, Windows and doors are painted. Top edge of the walls is complete. I started on a 2 layer wood roof for strength and removability. I shurnk it down in size to 300 x 224 bites or 67.2 kilo bites. the warning says 9.8 megabytes. it still doesn't upload.
frank

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
You could make it one pixel by one pixel, but when space runs out, we have to purchase more. Soon. ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Beautiful building!! The windows really set if off. :)

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
Like the colors selected. Looks very nice.
Doc Tom
The more I see the two colors alongside each other ,the more I am thinking of a gray or brown for the front of the new building. Red and off white just leave something to be desired. Many buildings have more decorative styled front especially when they are on main streets. It is how these type buildings were built in cities.
frank

Last edited:

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
IMG_4011 S.JPG IMG_4009 S.JPG
I am waiting for supplies for the roof edging, till then I have been building the interconnecting rail yard. It is greatly shortened for what it was also i won't be modeling Green Street. There will not be enough space Just a switching setup for trains going into and out of the terminal. Still want to make my early November showing of this Depot. I want it to be as complete as I can for that train show. It is the late summer show by the New York Society of Model Engineers held on Hoboken Ave in Carlstadt NJ. I have a couple of tables to display it on.
Here is what I have now.

Reactions: Revell-Fan

Doctor G

Sep 1, 2008
Clarksville, Tennessee
That is a very nice LARGE diorama. Should be a crowd pleaser at the train show. Maybe a faded red with some weathering???? Agree a brown or tan would like nice too. Doc Tom