Building a complete 1841 Depot. roundhouse, shops, train shed and station.

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by toptrain1, Jun 5, 2018.

1. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

*I have the roof mostly done now. So here is a photo of it. Next is the locomotive Manufactory building roof. I do think that this will take 2 or 3 days. But i have been wrong a lot with this building.
    frank

IMG_3462 - Copy.JPG IMG_3463 - Copy.JPG IMG_3467 - Copy.JPG
    zathros, Cybergrinder and lyter1958 like this.
  2. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

Coming together nicely. Nice fit and finish on the roof.:yesyes:

Tom
    Cybergrinder likes this.
  3. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

Hey TOM. second roof is done except for roof vents. Only machine shop roof still to do doors and details including track to turntable which for me is very, very, very ----- very hard to do.

IMG_3500 - S.JPG

IMG_3504 - S.JPG

IMG_3511 - S.JPG
    zathros and Gandolf50 like this.
  4. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

Very nicely done. The little lokies look right at home.Thanks for your persistence on this very nice build.Claphands

Doc Tom:wave:
  5. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

* For the machine shop roof I cut a attic floor out of wood with my exacto knife. I used it to cut everything. When first cut to a matching shape it laid down flat and I was happy. Now as with all the sections I cut out for the roundhouse roof they fit very well. Once I glued them down the glue did something to the seams as it hardened. It caused distortion in the roof sections. Seams that when first cut, that were perfectly aligned, when laid in the curing glue would move. Pushing the edges together sometimes causing the edges to overlap. At first i thought the were swelling the cardstock but it seemed to be the opposite. Like a shrinking because this would distorted the floor, pulling up the edges. When you placed the roof back in its recess, it would not lay flat anymore. When you pressed down on a raised corner the opposite corner would raise up. That is why it took over 3 weeks to build that roof, and I was constantly adding a thicker floor and popping the seams open and re-gluing the seams. Right now there are two continuous seams going from front (door side) the back (curved wall side) open and not glues. The roof now lays flat on its three layer floor, and I am not happy with it but will live with it.
    * Now getting back to the machine shop roof. I glued it. it shrank and became a wobbly surface, now unreliable, and I replaced it with a card stock floor of two layers thick. This i may have to thicken up with a third layer. I do not know now at this time. Lets see what happens.

frank
  6. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

Well the third roof for the machine shop is completed. On this view the five missing windows and two large double doors are my next thing to do.
    frank

IMG_3530 s.JPG
    lyter1958 and Cybergrinder like this.
  7. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

Here are two other photos of the Machine shop roof.
    frank

IMG_3527 s.JPG

Now a look from the Roundhouse front.

IMG_3528 s.JPG
  8. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

Original arched top opening was to small. I added 3/16" more sapce top to bottom. The 4-4-0 loco now fits fine under the arch.

Hre is old arch opening.
    IMG_3485 - S.JPG .

Here is the new opening.
    IMG_3535.JPG
    frank
    zathros and lyter1958 like this.
  9. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

I have finished with this east end of the Locomotive Manufactory section of the building.
    A bussy look at this building here a Patterson & Hudson River passenger train arrives with its 5 brown passenger cars. To the left moving away is a New Jersey Railroad passenger train on its way to Newark.
    * Infront on the track which pass through the locomotive shop is a British built 0-4-0 not unkile the John Bull when it first arrived is seen with a yellow tender. This is to become the NJRR&TCo's new shop switcher.
    frank

DSCF9313 - S.JPG
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    zathros and lyter1958 like this.
  10. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

Another view taken by the New locomotive Manufactory Building .
    frank

DSCF9327 -S.JPG
    zathros, Gandolf50 and lyter1958 like this.
  11. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

Really like the look of those old steamers and passenger carriages. They fit right in with the older appearing buildings. Tom
    toptrain1 likes this.
  12. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

* Doc. I've been pulling out some building to see which I could use on the side crossing streets. I really won't need them for a couple of months at least. I need to do the work I have been putting off to finish the round-house section. The doors need detail and the track needs 7 crossing tracks.more because i don't think I can do it well enough. To do the track work I need to cross rails 7 times making some sort of frog or rail crossing.
    frank
  13. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator Moderator

I like the era you've chosen. Very colorful, and "mechanical". :)
    toptrain1 likes this.
  14. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

I figured something out when I couldn't sleep last night. Once I knew what to do I slept like a baby.
    frank
  15. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

Been there too......sometimes you just got to back away for some time. Amazing how the human mind works.:iagree: Doc Tom
    toptrain1 likes this.
  16. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

Well this great idea didn't work because of the use of flex track. This track work needs to be hand laid. The fact that seven of 9 rails overlap really makes alligining very difficult. The ties do not interweave like they need to. . Because this is such a small turntable all tracks must cross. Only the outside tracks have one rail that doesn't cross. A crossing pattern muse be constant and ties spaced wider apart to all for interweaving of the ties. More thinking and planning needed. This is a big setback.
    * I went back and measured it all. Marking out my centerlines. It should work if I can be very exacting in my measurements and angles.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018 at 2:18 AM