Building a complete 1841 Depot. roundhouse, shops, train shed and station.

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
* For the machine shop roof I cut a attic floor out of wood with my exacto knife. I used it to cut everything. When first cut to a matching shape it laid down flat and I was happy. Now as with all the sections I cut out for the roundhouse roof they fit very well. Once I glued them down the glue did something to the seams as it hardened. It caused distortion in the roof sections. Seams that when first cut, that were perfectly aligned, when laid in the curing glue would move. Pushing the edges together sometimes causing the edges to overlap. At first i thought the were swelling the cardstock but it seemed to be the opposite. Like a shrinking because this would distorted the floor, pulling up the edges. When you placed the roof back in its recess, it would not lay flat anymore. When you pressed down on a raised corner the opposite corner would raise up. That is why it took over 3 weeks to build that roof, and I was constantly adding a thicker floor and popping the seams open and re-gluing the seams. Right now there are two continuous seams going from front (door side) the back (curved wall side) open and not glues. The roof now lays flat on its three layer floor, and I am not happy with it but will live with it.
* Now getting back to the machine shop roof. I glued it. it shrank and became a wobbly surface, now unreliable, and I replaced it with a card stock floor of two layers thick. This i may have to thicken up with a third layer. I do not know now at this time. Lets see what happens.

frank

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
I have finished with this east end of the Locomotive Manufactory section of the building.
A bussy look at this building here a Patterson & Hudson River passenger train arrives with its 5 brown passenger cars. To the left moving away is a New Jersey Railroad passenger train on its way to Newark.
* Infront on the track which pass through the locomotive shop is a British built 0-4-0 not unkile the John Bull when it first arrived is seen with a yellow tender. This is to become the NJRR&TCo's new shop switcher.
frank

DSCF9313 - S.JPG

Last edited:

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
* Doc. I've been pulling out some building to see which I could use on the side crossing streets. I really won't need them for a couple of months at least. I need to do the work I have been putting off to finish the round-house section. The doors need detail and the track needs 7 crossing tracks.more because i don't think I can do it well enough. To do the track work I need to cross rails 7 times making some sort of frog or rail crossing.
frank

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I like the era you've chosen. Very colorful, and "mechanical". :)

Reactions: toptrain1

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
Well this great idea didn't work because of the use of flex track. This track work needs to be hand laid. The fact that seven of 9 rails overlap really makes alligining very difficult. The ties do not interweave like they need to. . Because this is such a small turntable all tracks must cross. Only the outside tracks have one rail that doesn't cross. A crossing pattern muse be constant and ties spaced wider apart to all for interweaving of the ties. More thinking and planning needed. This is a big setback.
* I went back and measured it all. Marking out my centerlines. It should work if I can be very exacting in my measurements and angles.

Last edited:

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
Well i gave it another shot and this time it worked. I figured out what the distance away from the turntable would be where the track ties would not get into each other's way. Redrew my centerlines and another piece of card stock, out to this distance. Then made a circumference line at this new distance. Cut it out and mounted the track piece by piece with the 7 frogs, and it worked . Glued down the card stock with track then filled in between this new track and the roundhouse tracks an it looks good.
* I found a Y track to use for the ninth rouundhouse stall to connect it to the mainline soon.
frank

IMG_3749 S.JPG

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
*I did finish tieing the Y to the turntable but didn't like the results. I took out the Y and did it different. Now all 9 roundhouse stall tracks go to turntable and the main line tie in is separate to the turntable.
* I really wanted to use hand throws with the switches here as in olden days. They just would not fit with the switch control on atlas being on the straight side on the switch. The old AHM Cassio switch does fit so it is being used. If I can shorten up the oppering arm of the hand throw, it might fit and I can use it with other switches. The only place might run trains is on the two main lines, that go across all three boards.
frank

IMG_3754 - S.JPG
frank

Last edited: