Building a Canadian wooden grain elevator.

beamish

HO & Steam Engineer
Jan 11, 2007
Saskatoon,SK,Canada
Chad,

I like that Steam Traction Engine on the flat car in the background. I have a couple that are in 1/64th scale and am wondering if that one is 1/64 or is it a different size. If it is different where did you get it?

If that is 1928 then that should be just about the end of life for any new steam engines. I am not too shure off the top of my head but i think it was sometime in there that Case made their last one.

Just did some checking and found out that case built their last steam engine in 1924. However many were actively used until the mid 1940's. Some of us still use them today but not to the extent that they once were.

beamish

HO & Steam Engineer
Jan 11, 2007
Saskatoon,SK,Canada
Ya thats what i tell people too. I think they were supposed to be 65, or 75s but i say that they are all 110's. I have 3 good ones and one that is missing wheels. 1 of the 3 also has a canopy on it.

Right now my layout is in pieces as i have been doing some renovations in the basement. I used to use the model steam engines in my version of the Case steam mfg plant. I am undecided how those will impact the new layout but definately plan to re-use them.

ChadYelland

Jan 26, 2006
Tisdale Sk Canada
Some Updated pictures, Head pulley with rope drive and scale and stairs
Picture029.jpg

Picture032.jpg

ChadYelland

Jan 26, 2006
Tisdale Sk Canada
For anyone wishing to build one, let me know I have 2 sets of blue prints I had copied, One set UGG 30,000bus (c1928) and Sk Wheat Pool 35,000bus. (c1930's) Just PM me I'd love to help out the next guy.

beamish

HO & Steam Engineer
Jan 11, 2007
Saskatoon,SK,Canada
you are nuts

Chad I got to hand it too you, when you were describing this to me i was trying to picture how it would look. But you have completely outdone yourself. Great Job. Keep it up. :thumb::thumb:

morb

Feb 13, 2011
blue prints

I emailed the pool via there general contact address on there website, helped that my Uncle was a pool director for 30+ yrs :mrgreen:, If i had a big enough scanner or copier i would provide them. I'm just glad that im only building a pair of elevators the 40miles of line i chose to model had 19 of them!! This prototype is in Naisbery Sk.[/quote}

would u be able to give a brief measure ment how to build them to scale?

Don7

Dec 29, 2007
Northern BC
Great looking model.

I opted for a set of the Walthers Cornerstone prairie elevator, which is quite similar to your model.

I used to visit relatives in the Rose Valley, Naicam, Nipiwan areas. That was a long time ago when the small farm was still in existance.