Build Thread - Modelik Polonez - Poltruck

Discussion in 'Commercial & Civilian Vehicles' started by modelperry, Sep 19, 2007.

1. modelperry

modelperry Member

This is my first Modelik Kit and I thought I'd try my hand at a build thread for it as well.

Since I'm not a media bigot, I'll probably use both plastic and brass/aluminum rod for the pieces I need to fabricate. I haven't forgotten nor will I forget my plastic modeling roots.

So off the soap box I come and begin with a photo of the cover.

The first thing I did was laminate all the parts that needed to be put onto Bristol Board and 1 mm cardboard.

After this I built up the front bumper as shown in the second photo.

So far things are starting out well!

Attached Files:

2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I love Modelik models! Looking forward to the build!
    Chris
  3. Bluenoser

Bluenoser Member

I don't mind using other materials in my models either, particularly when it simplifies construction or provides additional strength.
  4. modelperry

modelperry Member

I have finished the basic frame. No real difficulties to report. Some of my laminated parts are a little warped. I'm hoping that they straighten out as I go.

Attached Files:

5. modelperry

modelperry Member

The tires and wheels are shown in this entry. Still no troubles in assembly. Axles were fabricated from 2 mm Evergreen plastic rod.

Attached Files:

6. modelperry

modelperry Member

Here is the interior. I had to trim the center console upright a liitle at the top to fit. I absolutely do not like the results of the steering wheel. It ends up off-center from the seat and just looks clunky. I was almost inclined to raid my extra plastic parts for a suitable replacement. I hope this is not a sign of things to come.

Attached Files:

7. gippolot

gippolot Member

Looks sweet.

Andrew
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Its coming together nicely! Only suggestion might be to color those edges a bit unless you are planning on coming back with paint or something later.
    Chris
  9. modelperry

modelperry Member

Here are pictures of the cab. I had some difficulty with the headlights and grill and am not "completely" happy with the results. The hood and windshield frame was wider than the cab and fenders so I had to trim them a little.

In answer to the previous post: Thanks for the advise on the edges. Some things I have been coloring, others I have not. I'm used to painting (plastic) models and I have a set of Sharpies. I'm still trying to figure out what to use when and tend to skip certain things that I fear messing up such as the upholstery pattern on the seats (even though some of the pattern was missing and I had to draw it in anyway) :v8:

Attached Files:

10. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

Looks good so far - keep it up!:thumb:

When coloring edges I like to use those inxpensive acrylic craft paints that come in the little 2oz plastic bottles and a very small fine tip artist brush. They're cheep at about $.80 a bottle and come in just about every color imagineable, plus they last FOREVER! Many of my bottles are 15+ years old and don't even look like they were ever opened.

I've used sharpie pens in the past with mixed results. I have found that they tend to bleed into the paper too much and give you a fuzzy line.
    :curse:

Maybe my pens just had too much juice in them or something. I don't know if using one that was more dried out might work any better or not. I just like the paint method myself.

Happy cutting
    Kev
  11. modelperry

modelperry Member

Here are photos of the utility bed. This part went rather smoothly. The taillight guard is scratchbuilt from evergreen plastic rod. The same stuff I use for the axles.

Attached Files:

12. modelperry

modelperry Member

Here is the finished product. The front grill bar, utility bed handles, rear spot light pole and caution light poles were made from styrene rod. the tank hoses were made from wire. The last photo is a reference photo to show how it compares to a plastic model (in this case a Johan Cadillac ambulance). I really enjoyed this foray into Modelik models. This kit seemed like a good starting point for me with them and I look forward to my next one.

Attached Files: