Build thread: Millenium Falcon

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by causticphlegm, Nov 1, 2007.

1. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

You bet. Done. It's just over 9 megs zipped. Hopefully my ISP's famously wonky email server will get it to you in one piece. If it doesn't I can try from either my hotmail or gmail accounts. Let me know.
  2. afcgooners

afcgooners New Member

wow great detail. the colours look great. I wish i had patience to build one of these!
  3. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

Thanks much!, it came through fine!, in fact it came through 3 times! sign1
  4. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

That's the universe's way of saying announce1"GET BUILDING!!!"
  5. OylPslyk

cool!, well over 2' when finished...:mrgreen:
    I'm gonna study this one and also plan this one out and do a frame for it 1st.
    I look forward to following your progress!
  6. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

Well, if you can make faster/better progress, post the pics. Don't worry about taking my spotlight. :thumb:

For the interior frame I'm going to build the underside of the saucer section as carefully as I can, put the included ring frame on it (dry fitting) then make a frame for that. All I'll have to do then is mirror it to support the top section. I'm not too worried about it being perfect. I'm building at 1/2 scale with thick stock so as long as my cat doesn't decide to make it his new plaything, I should be OK. sign1
  7. OylPslyk

I was thinking of trying to use the core/frame of the model from the SF papercraft gallery (SF PaperCraftGallery) scaling it up, and then trimming or adding to it as needed.

a long time back I worked up some landing gear to fit that model too, I may try to upgrade those as well for this one!
  8. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

Port side mandible. A lot more parts than the starboard...at least it seemed like it. :mrgreen: Took a lot longer than what I wanted it to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

WOW! this is sweeeeeet :)
  10. Nexus9

Nexus9 Member

This is really nice. Always loved the Millenium Falcon.
  11. dansls1

dansls1 Member

This is looking great and coming together quickly ;)
  12. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

Engine ring. 50+ pieces including my crappy custom interior braces (which you can't see in these pics. As usual bad picture taking. I should start taking them in daylight :thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

I was just thinking the same thing last night while taking pictures of my current build... so after reading your post I went outside (lovely day today) and took a few pics to compare against the flash photos I took last night (using various settings to find the best one, which I didn't).

I don't have time to post pics now, I'll add them to my build thread later though, because the results were great... I think I'll try to take more pics in sunlight from now on, especially of the finished model once it's done. For inside shots though, I'm going to try some new lighting.

This model of yours is coming along very nicely by the way, keep up the good work, The more I see of yours, the further it climbs up my build queue. :D
  14. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

That's looking really good! Keep it up; I want to see this fully built. :)
  15. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

Rear ventral section with landing gear pod. I was worried that there would not be enough curve to these four sections (other 3 will follow) but it turned out OK. I also did the port docking ring, which is almost a mirror of the starboard save a few minor details, so no pics of that one. I was on a roll today but sadly had to clear my workspace (dining room table) 'cause the family is coming over for dinner tomorrow nite...otherwise I woulda got the forward ventral section done, too. Ah well, a productive day nonetheless.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Looking great! Appreciate the pics from different angles. A request though. You said you put in some of your own formers - when you scratchbuild an addition or improvement try to get a pic of it for us in case it will help us do a better job if we build the model :D
    Chris
  17. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

Chris, a monkey with a chainsaw and a bottle of crazy glue could do a better job than me. :p
  18. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I must be a monkey without opposable thumbs then cause I gave up on an easier build of the falcon.... ;)
  19. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

You're entitled to your own opinion, we however, disagree! :D

This model is coming together nicely and I know I'm not the only one here who can't wait to see how it turns out, but for now we're enjoying the build and you should be proud of it...
  20. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

i wish yall'd quit calling me a monkey! and leave my super glue out of it!