Build thread: Millenium Falcon

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by causticphlegm, Nov 1, 2007.

1. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

Well, the community comes through again. My request for a detailed scifi model yielded a very detailed Millenium Falcon. Thanks to Milleniumfalsehood for it.

It's not as detailed as the 4000+ part one that is up on Kartonbau forums but is much more detailed than the SF papercraft one. I'm doing it at 1/2 size because, frankly, printing on 15x25 inch paper would cost me a small fortune in my neck of the woods.

Parts for front loading claw:

[​IMG]

Result:

[​IMG]

Parts for cockpit:

[​IMG]

Result:

[​IMG]

Shot of the parts that are for the starboard mandible. Yikes. This is gonna be interesting.

[​IMG]

Port side wall of starboard mandible. This little sucker alone has 26 parts to it. I wish I could take a better picture to show all the relief to it.

[​IMG]
  2. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

Forgot to mention: There are no tabs and absolutely no internal bracing. Even with 110lb paper it would be flimsy. Gonna have to enter design mode when it comes to keeping it from falling in on itself. :thumb:
  3. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

WOW! This looks awesome! Where'd the model come from? I've not seen it before I don't think.

Looks very detailed. Great build so far, I'll be watching this thread. :)
  4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

gonna like this build! keep the pics rolling :)
    Chris
  5. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Looks good so far!

I have this model downloaded as well, but I don't have a link as to where it came from Skup - shoot me a pm if you are interested in it though.
  6. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Actually, I got it from the Kartonbau forums. One of the modelers there has a site called Imperial City Online and posted a link to a model he'd recently designed(if I understood the thread correctly). I downloaded it and saved it until my skills improved enough to do it justice. I may have to give it a try soon.
  7. Master-Bruce

It looks very good, well thought out and detailed. Well,except for the lack of an internal support structure. One I might have to try one day.
  8. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

Starboard mandible is done. Man, I think I'm a little over my head here, but very satisfying to see all the nice little details going into it. Many small mistakes and lots of glue shine...but I'm learning. :thumb:

One thing I'm NOT going to do for the other parts is do the tiny pieces out of 110 lb stock. Ugh! Trying to put a curve on a piece that is smaller than a 1/2 centimeter is an exercise in frustration.

Underside:

[​IMG]

Rest are topside:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With cockpit temporarily installed.

[​IMG]
  9. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

Fantastic build! Great work!
  10. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Looking good!
  11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I think you are doing an awesome job! i dont think I have this detailed model. I gave up half way through on an easier one.....
    Chris
  12. Master-Bruce

Lookin' great! Where are the mistakes?? It looks fine to me.
  13. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

Thanks for the kind words guys. Will have more pics later on tonite. Finishing up the starboard docking collar. I'm on a roll. :)

I'm really dreading doing the saucer section due to the fact that there are no scoring lines (either vertically or horizontally) that give it that "corner-y...err...corner-ish..ummmm...non-smoothy-rounded look.

Ya know, I always thought that those of you who tackled the Halinski-GPM-Wak builds were just a little touched in the head.:p hamr;-) While this is nowhere near as complicated as any of those, I DO see how the more complicated something is the greater the satisfaction you get from doing each step and seeing it getting closer to completion...even if no one else ever notices the amount of detail and work involved.
  14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

We notice the details - especially those of us that tried the simpler versions!
    Chris
  15. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

Yeah, sorry. When I said no one I meant friends and family that you proudly show them to only to have them say "Meh" with a bored look on their faces. Makes me wanna slap 'em! sign1

Here's those pictures of the starboard docking collar. I've sinced fixed the rib that is seperating in the pics. Nothing like a zoomed in camera to expose the boo-boos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

17. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Great job!

Here is the thread on kartonbau that he mentioned in the original post. I believe I found the link to the model that caustic is building in that thread, but I just scanned through it and couldn't find it.
  18. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

Starting on port side mandible..even more complicated than the starboard side.

29 parts. Knife used to see scale. I must be a glutton for punishment...still working with 110lb stock.hamr

[​IMG]
  19. Janx

Janx Member

Glad I was sitting down when I saw this :) brilliant so far.
  20. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

I send my sympathy's for your fingers workin the thick stock buddy!, its lookin awesome!

I am well known to say this is my favorite spaceship EVER! I would love to take a crack at it fullsize, Im fortunate to have a widemouth printer - so the big sheets wouldnt be a problem, could you email me a copy?