Build Thread attempt for Answer's Me109W

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by modelperry, Apr 24, 2008.

1. modelperry

modelperry Member

I have FINALLY finished the engine. I had to reconstruct some of it because my daughter's dog attacked it and knocked some parts off of it. I used replacement parts from the BF109-T I had bought from Gremir (definitely the same engine). I painted the exhaust pipes because they did not look very good in their printed form after building up. I used Gunze Sangyo Metal Red to paint them. I like Gunze paint but don't think it is available in the States anymore.:cry:

I also started skinning the pontoons as I needed a break from small stuff.

Enjoy,

Greg

Attached Files:

2. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Wow, it really looks great! Dog or no dog involved.
  3. modelperry

modelperry Member

Well, my Me109W has been subject to another dog attack.:eek: We have five of these little critters. Two of which don't know how to behave.:curse: One of which is gonna hit the road soon, anyone want a dog? This time the front end of the unskinned pontoon got hit. I'm trying to rebuild it (better, faster stronger than it was before):rolleyes:

Here's a picture of the pack. The white one, naked one, and min pin are the good ones, the brown and the furry black mutts are the evil ones. The brown one ate the pontoon and the black furry one ate the engine. Looking for a home for the brown one. Any takers?:twisted:

Attached Files:

• dogs.jpg
      dogs.jpg
      File size:
      163.6 KB
      Views:
  4. dansls1

dansls1 Member

No dogs for me - even if I wasn't a paper modeler ;)

The engine came out very nice looking! Hope you make it through this one given the setbacks.
  5. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

No room at the inn.

Piper wouldn't be thrilled with any new pups.

Attached Files:

6. lriera

lriera Member

Greg I am sorry for the incident. I am sure you are going to rebuild the pieces soon.

I have two wife cats at home. They are a lot quieter, better for paper modeling. :thumb:
  7. modelperry

modelperry Member

Thanks for the sympathy!

I am trying to finish the second pontoon this Memorial Day weekend. Not sure how successful I'll be, what with two races to keep track of and several get-togethers with family and friends planned.:mrgreen:

I did get the second, dog attacked, pontoon skinned. I do not think it came out quite as nicely as the first. I will post pictures in my next post.

Greg
  8. modelperry

modelperry Member

I have finished the pontoons (the one on the right is the "dog masticated" one) and installed the supports that go between them and the wings.

I substituted wooden dowels for the paper posts that I could not get rolled right. It seems that there are many rolled parts of this kit that would have been better served by being printed on thinner paper. With the Gremir version, one can get around this by printing several copies of the necessary pages on different thicknesses of paper.

I have also started to skin the fuselage.

Greg

Attached Files:

9. modelperry

modelperry Member

The fuselage is pretty much done except for the front engine cowl. I will be saving this for last.:twisted:I have also skinned the wings and ailerons (no pictures of these yet). I think I rushed the wings too much. They could have turned out better.:oops:

Enjoy the pictures.

Greg

Attached Files:

10. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Still looking good - I can't wait to see it sitting on the sponsons!
  11. modelperry

modelperry Member

I have been working on some of the miscellaneous subassemblies. Attached are photos of the intakes, propeller assembly and wing fillets.

The engine air intake was a little bear to assemble. I did the best I could with it. The propeller nose was a challenge as well. the pedal cuts bisected each blade hole making for fiddly assembly. I ended up painting over it to make it look better.

The last photo is of the unused front fuselage formers I plan on using to shape the hood pieces.

My next step will be to assemble all the main parts except the engine hood and prop. I have a sneaking suspicion that I will have to perform some surgery on the engine and prop to get them to fit together correctly.

Greg

Attached Files:

12. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

looks really good:thumb:like what you did with the prop it looks really good:thumb:
  13. modelperry

modelperry Member

Getting closer!announce1

Here are some photos of the main subassemblies glued together. I am now struggling with the hood. I am using the unused former subassembly as a forming buck and that is actually working out well. However, test fitting shows the hood is not going to fit well after completion, so it will be left off and set to the side for display.

I'm hoping to be able to finish this model over the weekend. :thumb:

Greg

Attached Files:

14. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

That is looking very nice indeed.
  15. lriera

lriera Member

Impressive model, very well done.

Greetings.
  16. modelperry

modelperry Member

Well it's finally done!announce1

I am not completely pleased with the results of the engine cowling on the bottom of the engine or the exhaust covers. I did have to perform surgery on the engine to mount the prop. I had to cut the spline off the front to fit the prop on.

Enjoy,

Greg

Attached Files:

17. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

i think your model looks excellent perry well done :thumb:look forward to your next build.:thumb:
  18. redhorse

redhorse Member

That looks really good! I understand about the dogs, I have to do my modeling in spare bedroom to avoid the problem...
  19. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Came out very nice looking - good job!
  20. modelperry

modelperry Member

Thank you for all the nice compliments. I have started my next project which I will post in the Ship section.

Greg