Build Thread: Apollo Historical Series

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by dwesrist, May 8, 2008.

1. dwesrist

dwesrist Guest

Here's my build thread for the Apollo Historical Series. I got quite a bit of the LUT & Milkstool built, with just the crane on top and the four legs underneath left to do.

I'll attach photos as I go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. WeeVikes

WeeVikes Member

Good stuff!

Glad it seems to be going well for you. If you have any questions, like I said before, please let me or George know.

Mike
  3. dwesrist

dwesrist Guest

Crane Build

Took a break this weekend to play softball and hang out with some friends, so I didn't get back to this until tonight. Here are the pics of my progress.

Putting the crane top together. It's not too difficult, except that it's all tiny! I need more experience working with small piece construction.

[​IMG]

Adding the railings was actually easier than I expected:

[​IMG]

Since this is the ASTP, I put the lightening rod on. One small question: What in the world is that black fold over piece and the roll for? There are no instructions on what the black fold over is for and I can't imagine being able to roll a tube small enough to get inside the tiny lightening rod. And it doesn't seem to need support.

[​IMG]

The cable/hook piece for the crane actually came out ok. Two points here: 1) the hook is printed the same direction on both sides, meaning when it's folded over, it doesn't match up. 2) You should go ahead and color the hook black. It's so tiny that gray just isn't going to stand out. I went ahead and Sharpied mine black and it actually makes it stand out more, which I like.

[​IMG]

Finally, I am lousy at rolling tubes, so I didn't for the LUT legs. Instead, I cut the ends off of cotton swabs, cut three in half and trimmed them all to the same length. I need to work on getting the blasted thing level, but the pillar collars (or whatever the square things around the legs are supposed to be called) slip right over and it makes them very easy to line up and then tack in place with glue.

[​IMG]

I have the Damper Arm left to craft and the Hold Down Arm Supports. The Damper Arm is clear for construction, but not for where/how it's supposed to attach to the damper arm itself. And I have no idea from the picture where the Hold Down Arm Supports are supposed to go.

Some assembly instructions would be great, as some pieces of this I can't seem to puzzle out from the picture. Or, alternatively, a few more pictures from other viewpoints would allow me to get a feel for where pieces go.

Just some ideas. Otherwise, the model is great. Hopefully, I'll get better at these as I build more of them.

Cheers,
  4. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Dwesrist,

That's a nice clean build. George and Weevikes did a great job on the design of the structure...very hi fidelity.