[Build] Schreiber's Blue Flame

Discussion in 'Commercial & Civilian Vehicles' started by rickstef, Feb 22, 2007.

1. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Hi all,

As I mentioned earlier today that I was going to start building the Blue Flame from Schreiber.

I purchased this kit from either Lighthouse Modelart in their final sales period or from Peter Heesch at the paper model convention in Dulles back in November, I can't remember which.
    I had forgotten about the kit until it was mentioned by Don in his request for Speed Record holders, and I only found that I had the kit when I moved in my brother's house, and I was putting away some of the model kits I had in a box.

I thought this kit would be a good warmup for me again to do some more detailed stuff, I have been itching/jonesing for a more complex kit for a while now, and this car might just be the ticket for me.

The kit is a booklet, consisting of one sheet of 19x12 inches, folded in half, the model itself is contained on one sheet, you can see the cover and model here in this picture.
    [​IMG]

On the inside of the cover, the instruction diagram is printed, visible in this picture
    [​IMG]

More pictures and the like to follow

Rick
    (A follower of Racing Bricks as my boss puts it)
  2. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I was facinated by this "car" as a kid. I was into model rockets at the time, and I tried to fashion a model of this out of an old Estes engine shipping tube, balsa bits, wheels, and wire. Used a rocket engine for propulsion, natch. Had the bright idea to run it on a neighborhood street using some fishing line strung taught between 2 nails to guide it straight. Of course the flame from the motor immediately burned through the line at "launch", and the run was predictably random from there, coming to no good end.

Ah, those were the days...

Looking forward to seeing this come together!

Rick
  3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Nice pick for a next project!
    I was not aware Schreiber had made this one.
    I haven't seen anyone tackle this subject matter before either so it will be interesting to see this beauty brought to life.
    Looking forward to watching your progress, Rick.

Russell
  4. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Not much happened after I posted the pictures above.

I scored all those parts which will be folded, and i cut out the 3 slots for the tail plane and the two carnards right behind the front wheel.

I did laminate the yellow circles on to 1mm thick stock(thanx to CmdrTed for the sheets)

Not sure yet what this evening's production will bring, but we will see.

Rick
  5. rickstef

rickstef Guest

After getting back from Myspace, and getting refocused on the subject at hand, and finish folding laundry.

I have been able to crank this part out

[​IMG]

It's the main part of the fuselage of the car, and guess what folks, IT'S ROUND!!
    I am actually quite happy that the forethought I had, and the time I took with it resulted in this.

More tomorrow I hope

Rick
  6. rickstef

rickstef Guest

small update on the main fuselage,

there are two formers that are to be put inside the fuselage, and the first one went in with no problem, but with the second one, i employed a hint/tip from Ron, he showed it to me in a demo picture of a fuselage he was building, he had two small holes in the former just big enough for the tines/forks of a pair of tweezers to fit in, and then using that to seat the former and hold it in place for some glue along the edge.

Thanx Ron, I paid attention to you that time :)

Rick
  7. rickstef

rickstef Guest

a more visable part attached this time around

Part 2 is the main part of the nose cone, sitting right in front of the front wheel.

[​IMG]

More to come(but you knew that)

Rick
  8. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Last night was a decent advance, was able to finish up the front of the car.

[​IMG]

This was done after watching the Nascar Busch race, if I work on anything today, it will be after the Cup race and NHRA Eliminations.

Rick
  9. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

She looks to be coming along good. Nice rocket shape in that body.
  10. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Here is tonights offering, the total fuselage with driver's office(cockpit)

I noticed that the parts 5 and 6, the rear fuselage parts, were a bit off center in their drawing and placement of the strut openings for the rear end suspension.
    part 5 in particular was markedly wider than part 1, the fuselage part I did first.

The cockpit is made up of 3 pieces, I have attached 2 of the 3, the backend(not visible in the photo) and the main section, there is a little hatch piece that needs to be put on, but that can come tomorrow.

So you won't think that what I just wrote was something made up, I offer up photographic evidence to support my claim that I did actually do something.

[​IMG]

As always, more to come

Rick
  11. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Lookin' real good! I always wanted to get a kit of the Spirit of America. What is the scale? It looks like 1/24.
  12. rickstef

rickstef Guest

actually, it is 1:43, total fuselage length is just a little/smidge over 9 inches long

I should be able to come close to finishing it tonight, I hope

Rick
  13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Looking good rick!

You know that body is about the same size as one of those bb gun CO2 cartridges if you want to have some fun with it ;) reinforce a former just forward where the cart will go. Make a tube along the bottom and run some fishing line through it to keep her going straight and set some new paper model land speed records! Oh and video tape it for us :)
    Chris
  14. rockpaperscissor

rockpaperscissor Member

Your build is coming along great Rickstef. I own this kit as well and it's gettin' pretty close to the top of my to do list - of course I keep adding to, and rearranging my pile. Can't wait to see it done!
    Regards,
    Don
  15. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Now I am getting to the more meat and potatoes part of the build, actually adding parts that make the tube look like a car now.

tail fin, rear end and two of four struts in place.

[​IMG]

hopefully I can finish it tonight

Rick
  16. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Well Folks,

I have finished the build

i decided to omit the point at the front of the car, although in the wings waiting, I have a piece skewer sanded to a shape i am happy with, and painted silver, that I might place in place of the supplied part #15

Here are some of the final pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rick
  17. Clashster

Clashster Member

Looks great, Rick!

Chris
  18. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Super Job rick!
    Chris
  19. Prowler901

Prowler901 Member

Cool build Rick! I remember buying a book when I was in elementary school in the 70's that had all these outrageous cars in it. The Blue Flame was in it and always held a certain fascination for me. :)

Regards,
    Todd
  20. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Nice looking build, Rick!
    Do you have any plans for a simple diorama or anything?
    I was thinking just a piece of fine grit sandpaper for it to sit on, would make it look like it was sitting on the Salt Flats. Just a thought.
    Great job!

Russell