Build Or Save For Later

rsarber

First, Thanks For Having A Site Such As This, As I Am A Novice Collector And Builder And Lots Of Questions.
My First One Concerns My Obsession With The Sierrawest Twin Mills Sawmill. I Finally Found One And Purchased It For My Layout. Once It Arrived I Am Some What Overwhelmed With All The Pieces. I Would Like To Know Your Thoughts On If It Is Better To Hold On To As An Investment Or Build It Up And Enjoy It Myself. Sounds Crazy, Right?

Thanks For You Feedback
Rick

spitfire

Hi Rick and welcome to the Gauge!

Doesn't sound crazy at all - it's a common thing among modellers. Our desires always seem to be several steps ahead of our skill levels (or our cash flow, or our available space). :rolleyes: :D

My advice is keep it. This looks like an outstanding kit, but not one for the novice. Wait until you get a little experience under your belt. You'll be surprised after you've spent some time in the hobby, how things that used to seem intimidating, begin to seem first do-able and then easy.

We're all somewhere on the learning curve, and we've all bought our dream kits only to open them up and say "what have I gotten myself into?"

Practice on some smaller, cheaper kits. That way you won't be afraid to make a mistake, and mistakes are how we learn - at least that's how I learn! :D :D

Good luck, and welcome to a fascinating hobby!!!!

Val

CalFlash

One possibility is to see if you can duplicate it or part of it with stock wood (or styrene) and parts. That you'll get the building experience and not mess up the kit it something goes awry.

ausien

I to am somewhere on the learning curve, the more I learn the bigger the curve, right val?. but to put my two cents worth to your question, it does not matter what kit I buy I always try to duplicate it from plastic card and other materials most end up looking like nothing at all, or worse, something that belongs in the bin.. at least I did not waste an expensive kit. Although I did wast my first kit, from then on I duplicated them, learning from MY mistake. oh by the way welcome to the gauge we are not just modelers, were family.... have a good one..steve

rsarber

Thanks for the comments and I look forward to being part of your "family"
I have decided to put the kit away for now, as I have not completed the area where it will be located and I have several other projects going right now.

Grandkids are coming this weekend, so I have to be ready to play trains with them.

Later
Rick

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Welcome to the gauge, Rick. There's a philosophy in the model ship building community, you build models of parts, you assemble parts into models.
When you get ready to take on that kit, look to building complete subassemblies where you can, and combining them to build the final model.
Pete