Build: Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero, 1:33, Halinski 3/2005

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by rlwhitt, Dec 20, 2006.

1. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

The inner skin parts of the tail wheel well:

Attached Files:

2. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Tail wheel well installed:

Attached Files:

3. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Carl,

Heh, heh, not the first time I've done it either, but I don't always mention it in the threads (though I probably should - maybe save others some pain).

From your vast experince across many makers, is this sort of adjustment thing a pretty normal thing to face for all publishers? I know from reading all your stuff you've seen even worse from others. Frankly, it amazes me when ANY part fits. It still seems like magic in my opinion, designing this stuff so that a 2D sheet of paper fits together in 3D this well!

Rick

4. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I agree, just when you think what a good idea this is you go and skin it later and find those bulges. I sometimes look ahead and grind the crap outta those formers, I know it sounds counter intuitive but you can always add a sheet or strip when you dry fit the outer skin. It's tougher to peel stuff off then grind later.
  5. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Here are some aft skin parts, and the already built up arresting hook well

Attached Files:

6. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

The skin parts and well assembled

Attached Files:

7. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

The skin parts installed.

I encountered another fit issue here that I cannot determine that was builder error. The forward former on the tail assembly so far seemed too big, and at the point circled in this picture there was a rather LARGE gap. That was going to ripple out and cause other problems so I shaved the former down. It still did not end up just right, and I needed to manhandle the skin parts to get them to fit close to good enough, and as a result this section is pretty rough (picture not close enough to show it).

Attached Files:

8. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Fuselage complete! Like I said, there are some rough sections near the back, but this sucker is at least STRAIGHT! (Anyone wondering why I'm making a big deal of that simple fact, follow the Hellcat link in my sig below :) ).

Attached Files:

9. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Vertical Stab installed.

Attached Files:

10. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

And the rudder. That's all for this evening. Next up finish the tail and then the motor!

Attached Files:

11. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

That section you "botched" was it covered by the fairing piece at the front of the rudder?
  12. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Partially. Top joint ended up quite messy, but the fairings cover that. And some of the "manhandling" messiness will be covered by the horozontal stab. All in all, no real big deal.

The thing I'm taking away from this build is that it looks like I'm going to have to start cutting out skins and in some cases "building ahead" to check this stuff early on to make the fixes neater. A pain, but such is life...

13. Prowler901

Prowler901 Member

Beautiful work Rick. I really like to follow you and Carl in your builds. I'm learning a lot. Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

Regards,
    Todd
  14. fluthecrank

fluthecrank Member

thank´s for the report.............

Hi rlwhitt,

I have the same model in my "stock".........thank´s for the report, it will help me when I start with the model.......

best FLU
  15. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Before the next (brief) set of pictures, I'd like to pause and thank everyone so far for all the kind compliments and useful input! I've been refraining from replying to each message to keep the post count down, but rest assured it's all appreciated and it helps keep me going. These detailed models take a long time to do and no doubt doing a build thread acts to keep progress going forward.

Thanks again!
    Rick
  16. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Here is one horozontal stab skinned and installed (with wire), and the bones of the other side, before the skin goes on.

Attached Files:

17. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

And here is the completed tail section, with elevators and fairings added. I will note the rear of the fairings could not quite reach the end of the white painted area they were supposed to cover. (I colored the area before glueing them down, as I suspected this would happen from dry fitting) I have no idea if this was my goof or not, but they seemed to need all the length they had up front to make those ends come together.

Next up, spending 2 weeks building the motor! :) or :( , don't know which yet...

Attached Files:

18. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I don't want to sound too repetitive and don't take any lack of posted comment for disinterest but all I can say is WOW! Good job!
  19. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Motor!

Not much progress tonight, got a late start.

Time to go insane building the motor, all 14 cylinders of it! Here is the crankcase. This is the first time I've experienced making one of these bell shaped housings. It's a pain. :)

Attached Files:

20. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Holy Repetition, Batman! Look at all those itty bitty cylinder parts! Including the pushrod wires, well over 200 parts. Yep, this is gonna take a while...

Attached Files: