Build: Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero, 1:33, Halinski 3/2005

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by rlwhitt, Dec 20, 2006.

1. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

The floor equipment bits installed.

See that little box with the 4 plunger handles? Yes, it's every bit as tedious and difficult as it looks. I've got a new theory about Halinski - they are staffed by demented sadists who get their jollies seeing what kind of crazy mess they can trick us modelers into building. They are probably sitting over there in Poland just rolling on the floor... :)

Rick

Attached Files:

2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

This is why I tried an early version of one of thier kits. When the wire templates reaches @ a page and a half, I think it's time to break out the Loupes and layoff the caffeine for a week. Good job!
  3. josve

josve Active Member

Great thread!! Great build!!
    Makes me really want some halinski kits :)
    I have to get me a bunch over newyear!
  4. Gil

Gil Active Member

Winter Disease and Europeans

Rick, My theory is that it's the long sunless winters when most of the designs are executed (nothing else to do) that is the root cause of this malaise. The mindless tedium of winter designs coupled with the contagious German angst disease (also popular in winter) forms a dangerous mix resulting in a spiraling depression saved only when a resurgent spirit resurfaces, who's only aim is to get even with everybody...,

Muhahahaaa...,

-Gil
  5. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Hey, Carl

I just picked up a tablet of Strathmore Smooth Bristol (100lb, 260 gsm). Got it home an put the calipers to it and it measured ~.32 mm per sheet, so it must be a different brand than you've got. It looks like it'll take 3 sheets of this to do 1 mm (actually a tad over counting the little bit of glue thickness).

What brand do you use? Do you use Vellum or smooth finish - maybe that matters?

Anyway, I got the biggest tablet they have, 14x17. That ought to handle about anything!

Thanks for the tip!

Rick

6. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Back to Work...

The next series to do are the 4 and 5 numbered groups. These form the instrument panel and the lower parts of the cartridge magazines. Unfortunately despite all the work of building the magazines, at least the lower parts would be almost completely hidden when the model is done.

The second part of the picturre shows the sub-assemblies ready to go in. Note that the former part W2b was called in the original group of cockpit parts but I think it's apparent that it's better to wait for this stage to put in on.

Last pic is the sub-assemblies installed.

Attached Files:

7. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

The next group is the W3 structural elements. I'm breaking them into 2 groups, forward of the pilot and rear. Here are the forward bits

Attached Files:

8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

That looks super! and excellent photography to boot :)
    Chris
  9. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Thanks but I realized that yet again I've left the white balance on auto, rather than switching it back to incandescent. That's why stuff looks too green! Yuk!

Rick
  10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

heh heh thought it was a nice shade of green there :)
    Chris
  11. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

This might be too late but wasn't there an errata from Halinski on this model? I think they put some revised parts in one of the models that came out just after the Zero.
  12. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

Found it! From the Halinski website:

"Part 32b in KA 03/2004 A6M2 is incorrect. Whole engine cowling with fixed part 32b is included in KA 04/2005 Bf-109F. Below You will find clickable link to pdf file containing corrected part 32b. We are very sorry for this error."

http://www.halinski.com.pl/download/a6m2.pdf
  13. Prowler901

Prowler901 Member

Looks great Rick! Are the edges of your formers sanded? They look very smooth. What's the rule of thumb for sanding formers?

Regards,
    Todd
  14. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I don't know about a "rule", but I typlically don't sand them unless there's a particular reason to (rough, cut outside the line, etc).

I think one of the things that contributes to smooth edges is using laminated card stock rather than cardboard to back the formers. This stuff just cuts smoothly, plus I always make several passes with the knife rather than trying to muscle through it in a hurry.

Rick
  15. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Yep, that's it. Luckily the 109 is one of many Halinskis I ordered, so Iwon't have to deal with the color mismatch of using the PDF version, though it's nice they offered a PDF for this one!

Rick

16. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

rick, the pdf has all the parts for the cowling, so you can keep it all one shade. Keeps a batch of spares in hand for a possible flub! but it's also cool to have the 109F too!
  17. Prowler901

Prowler901 Member

Ahh.... yes, that makes sense. Thanks for the info. :)
    Great build!
  18. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Here are the rest of the W3 group of formers and 1st of the number 6 parts that make up the rear cockpit section. Odd that it's a different color than the front section - anyone have any idea why?

On a thread mechanics note, anyone have any opinions on the way I'm doing the posts? By that I mean (1) grouping a pic of the next set of parts to use together with the shot of them assembled? Is that helpful? And (2) the new method of stitching them together in one post rather than making a separate post of each pic?

I like seeing the pics in the post themselves rather than links, and you can't attach more than one, so that's why I've went to combining them, so as to keep the post count down. Chris, if you are listening in, does that cause a problem for you in case you end up archiving a thread - those stitched together pictures are kinda long, what's the max you can handle?

Attached Files:

19. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

The rest of the number 6 series of parts go toward creating these canister looking things in the rear section. Anyone know what these are?

Attached Files:

20. shrike

shrike Guest

I'm guessing that the darker colour is shadow to imply and open former and the empty fuselage beyond.

The cylinders are probably breathing oxygen tanks, compressed air tanks and/ or hydraulic accumulators.