Build: Goodyear F2G Super Corsair, 1:32, Gremir

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by rlwhitt, Jan 27, 2007.

1. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

And finally for tonight, the canopy! Got a little help from a friend on this and for that I am very grateful! Still managing to avoid those scratch built canopy blues!

I can't post pics of the in-progress of the canopy. The old saying goes you should never see laws and sausages being made, and the same applies to my building a canopy. It's uuugggly!

All that's left now are main legs and the forward motion facilitator!

Attached Files:

2. wyverns4

wyverns4 Member

Wow!

Wow! This is looking good! I'm starting to get intimidated about starting mine. I still can't decide if I will build the 1949 or 1999 version first. As a warm-up, though, I am currently building the Skyline Paper Models A5M Claude. I started it Saturday, and have the cockpit and engine done now, Monday night. I hope to post a picture when I get it finished.

Cheers!
  3. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Wwwwooooowwwwww!!!!!!!!
  4. Clashster

Clashster Member

Fabulous! Love it Rick!
  5. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I will say the only reason I picked the '99 version is that I liked the lower profile intake on top of the cowl. I sort of liked the funky yellow interior colors of the '49 better than the '99 zinc chromate color, but I've found the later easier to match, paint-wise.

Anyway, good luck and I think you will enjoy this one! If you run into trouble, don't hesitate to ask Will, he's been great, or tack something on to this thread, I'll help as well if I can.

And do please post some pics of the Claude!

6. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Great work Rick! Looks really good. I'm back earlier than planned but Ye gads people 520+ posts in 2 days?!! How's a fella supposed to keep up?

Just curious Rick or anyone else that has the model, there are several subtle differences in the paintjob between the 2 versions and I haven't heard anyone comment on them. Has anyone picked up on them?
  7. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Still lurching along slowly but surely. Have done the main landing gear now. Here is a shot of one and the doors mounted. I did discover that if I assembled the link parts as depicted in the drawing I got the long link assembly that reaches down into the well coming up way short and the one that connects from that back down to the main strut too long. I swapped them and it came out perfect! Go figure. I've drawn arrows on the pic below to the 2 parts I'm talking about.

Attached Files:

8. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I'm guessing that as designed, there is not necessarily a plan for the wheels to be able to rotate on the axles. Since I have a demanding Son who gets all bummed out when wheels and propellers don't move, I've got to remedy that. I'm not going to show the whole sequence, but what I did was to first cut out a fairly deep circular slug at the wheel's center. This new screw punch gizmo made short work of that! Then after the wheel is finished with shaping I stuck them onto the axles which are cut just long enough to extend into the cut out well but not beyond. Then I CA'ed a small cardboard disk to the end of the axle to trap the wheel on, and finally I printed another copy of the wheel disk parts page and cut out just the hub part and glued it on over the hub area shown here.

Attached Files:

9. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Intentional differences? :)

I didn't study them close enough to see anything. Do tell!

10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Man this has been turning out to be one detailed aircraft model. Thanks for the tip on the landing legs, it looks excellant. The idea on the rolling wheels sounds pretty ingenius. Lookin' good!
  11. Willja67

Willja67 Member

There are only 2 that I can remember for sure (other than blatantly obvious stuff like interior coloring) but look at the #57's and the little diamond on the cowl.

Sorry about the landing gear linkage. I ended up trimming that long one and somehow got the short one to work. Anyway good work and thanks for the advertising!

Oh Ted I'm guessing you did the canopy? Looks really good!
  12. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Down the home stretch...

So, time for the last bit - the propeller, and I've deviated from the design just a bit to make things more robust to stand up to small fingers causing rotation. I'm partial to making the prop shaft by wrapping thin paper around a wire until it's a snug fit into the shaft hole in the crankcase. The design just calls for a short card tube.

The hub middle section in the picture is as designed, which the shaft will insert into. I've not been too concerned about neatness, as I will sand and paint it.

The 3rd item is my replacement for the spinner, which is again paper wrapped on wire. The design has one of those flower petal type deals to make the curve at the front, and I absolutely stink at making those, so I prefer to wrap wire and chuck it into a dremel tool and sand it down. Best to use Titebond or a similar sandable glue for the wrapping when you need to sand down to shape like this. Regular white glue just stays sort of mushy and does not sand well. I cut off the excess wire before glueing it on!

I had intended to try to make some of the propeller hub/spinner parts from metallic paper, but I quickly learned that the stuff is hard to work with. The glare from overhead lights is brutal, it's too thin to make sturdy parts, and glue residue looks particularly bad. So, nix that idea...

Attached Files:

13. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Speaking of dremel chucks, if you do a lot of turning/sanding with a dremel, run - don't walk - to the store and get one of these true drill chucks to replace the somewhat lame collet that comes standard on the dremel. Sweet.

Attached Files:

14. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Another deviation from design. To make the blade roots more secure in their attachment to the hub, I've cut out the circle on top of the part where the blade attaches, and once again gone to wrapped wire to make a part that both keeps the blade root solid and circular, plus fits down into the hub parts for a nice secure attachment.

Attached Files:

15. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Prop hub done.

Will, if you're wondering about the color choice, I got this from the engine picture set you sent. It looked like the hub was bronze, and I've tried to match as close as I could. The spinner is polished metal, but this is as close to that as I can get.

Attached Files:

16. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Across the finish line!

She's ready to race!

Attached Files:

17. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Front view of that massive prop. All them cylinders' power gotta go somewhere...

Attached Files:

18. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Profile...

Attached Files:

19. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Rear view...

Attached Files:

20. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Semi-closeup of of the front office area...

Attached Files: