Build: Goodyear F2G Super Corsair, 1:32, Gremir

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by rlwhitt, Jan 27, 2007.

1. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

My interpretation of the hinge parts. Don't know if they're exactly right, but I think they look OK for me.

Attached Files:

2. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Here's an aileron part with the hinge centerline penciled in and the hinge wire shown. It's not quite as simple a bend as the other surfaces.

Attached Files:

3. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Following Will's recommendation of trapping the hinge wire between some cardboard bits:

Attached Files:

4. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

The mounted aileron:

Attached Files:

5. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Started the motor - woohoo!

Here's the crankcase with one of the magnetos mounted. There are 7 magnetos and the design has 28 cylinders! I'm fairly sure I'l just do the front 2 rows (14 of them) since the cowl will prevent view of any more than that. But we'll see how it goes with the first set...

Attached Files:

6. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Looks great to me Rick! I can't beleive how straight you got the seam of the wing.
  7. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Which seam? There are about a dozen! ;)

In reality I'm posing my photos as carefully as possible to avoid the dreaded "botched assembly reveal". I've been unhappy with a number of my efforts (as always) but am trying to take a more mellow view of things. I know that once the super-macro photos are not a daily reminder, the overall look of this model is going to be fabulolus (especially after the upcoming gloss laquer coat which will hide a lot of oops'es)!

8. Willja67

Willja67 Member

The wingtip seam is the one that really has me impressed. I guess it's a combo of your edge coloring and how straight you got it.
  9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

That does look awesome Rick! Great work and looks to be an excellant design Will!
  10. David H

David H Member

Just awsome!

I hope I have the ommph to do some building tonight... I am inspired, but at work!

D
  11. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Looking at Sumatos designs especially the one you're beta building Ted I feel like a hack.
  12. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Folks, don't believe this guy. He's no hack. This is a good, smart design with several clever twists. And it all fits really well. It don't get no better than that!

13. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I found that to build the magnetos, it makes life a little easier to put a little "frame" piece inside to hold the sides rigid while I wrap the sides around.

Also, I find that these should go on AFTER the first row of cylinders since they block the access a little to the places where the pushrods mount, so I'm going to hold off on them for now.

Attached Files:

14. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

My "test" cylinder. I'm going to slink off now and do the other 13 cylinders + 6 magnetos. No need for more photos until then....

Attached Files:

15. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Motor is "complete". I just can't bring myself to do another 14 cylinders I'll never see again. The pushrods alone would push me over the edge for sure. ;) But imagine what the beast would look like with all 28!

The cylinder shapes are a bit of a challenge to form, as the top part is oblong at the top and round at the bottom! Interesting design...

It's hard to see in the pic, but I tried making those little cylinders on top of the magnetos out of metallic paper (Red River Silver). I know Will will tell me it's not an accurate thing since although the parts appear on his "metallic" parts page they were not polished shiny things. But I couldn't help myself. They look really cool in person. the metallic paper is quite thin so it works well for these small bits, but it makes me wonder how it'd work for a plane's skin (say a P-51).

I've also used another new aquisition. A liquid called "Blacken-It". You dip wire and other metal into it and in just a few seconds it turns black. Some of it rubs off when you dry the parts, but for the most part it stays looking pretty black and it does not flake off like paint. I got mine from Micro-Mark.

Attached Files:

16. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Boy that looks good Rick!
  17. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

That is awesome Rick. I probably would've stopped at the 2nd row also. And MicroMark gets a huge alotment from my paycheck every quarter or so. They have the coolest stuff that can be used for any type of modeling.
  18. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Rick and everyone else,

Do you think the cylinder is detailed enough? As you can see the shape is not the same as most Radial engine cylinders so it can't be easily compared to other engines, but I wanted to make the design as simple as I could and still look good. For example in the GPM Corsair kit I think there is maybe 8 parts per cylinder and I only used five. So question is did I succeed?
  19. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I think you did a swell job!
    Just the right amount of detail without going overboard on the parts count.

Russell
  20. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I'd say it's just about right. Nothing you can do about the odd shape, but one thing I like is that the head is just that flat piece and the rocker arm covers are just 1 part each. I think the double laminate idea is nicer than building it up from multiple parts like Halinski would have you do. It does mean a large "edge" to have to color, but for me that's no issue as I painted them anyway.