Build: Goodyear F2G Super Corsair, 1:32, Gremir

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by rlwhitt, Jan 27, 2007.

1. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Already cut it off. No big deal.

Another minor observation - on page 8 under the G2b part it says "See page 9 for diagram", I assume this is to mean the diagram for the intake duct. But on page 9 under the same part says "See page 8 for diagram".

Rick
  2. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Redemption

OK, this'll make Will feel a little better, the intake duct in proper white. I have an excuse for my little error - I was looking at Will's #74 build thread and the inside of that duct was blue (as the plane is), so I ASSUMED... you know the rest... ;)

Attached Files:

3. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Next thing you'll want to do is put in the part labeled G9 before skinning. It is the floor of the forward wheel well. (BTW Will, there are TWO parts labeled G9, this one and the wing fairing)

The pic here is of my second root section. I missed this the first time and had rather an adventure of shoving this part in under the wheel well structure into place AFTER I put the root skin on - not a recommended sequence :) There's also a floor part for the main well section, but as it's not sized to glue to the top of the structural elements, I think it's easier to slide in after skinning the section.

Attached Files:

4. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Now, time to put the skin assembly on. Start at the bottom rear, around the wheel well to get it all aligned. My camera focused on the cardmodel.net cube in this pic, but I think it's good enough to show what I mean.

I would strongly suggest going ahead and having the G8 part cut out and using it to dry fit the gap that it will fill as you work this skin around so that you can get best possible fit once it gets glued in. Otherwise, you will be guessing...

Attached Files:

5. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Here I'm showing that there are some extra tabs left over if you are building wheels down (over and above the ones that are specifically instructed to be cut off). So they need to be trimmed off. On my second side I went ahead and trimmed them off the glue strip before assembly of the skin structure.

Attached Files:

6. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Here the root skinning is complete. You can see that I've put in the saved section in the valley area here and I did not get a really good smooth curve. This one is tough - you are basically trying to get this piece to curve in 2 directions at once! The thing (in my mind at least) that makes a Corsair such a beautiful plane is this reverse gull wing, but it certainly is a construction challenge (and I can imagine a design nightmare).

I also did not manage to get the skin as close to fuselage at the root on the front and top as I'd have liked. This will cause a little ugliness with the fairing, but I filled most of the seam with paint colored glue. sigh....

One other point here. Looks like you have to wait to put that fairing piece on the leading edge of the wing UNTIL AFTER you put on the cowling, as it overlaps it. Thus that will be one of the last bits to go on.

Attached Files:

7. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Bottom of the root section, complete with a good illustration of some of my normal skin misalignment. Those sunburst patterns are VERY unforgiving of alignment errors!

Attached Files:

8. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

On the back edge of the wings go these parts that sit in front of the flaps. This pic shows the curved shape - there will also be one put into that hole.

Attached Files:

9. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Both root sections done

Attached Files:

10. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Basic wing bones. I later took that green piece on the back off once I realized Will was recommending in his thread that it be attached to the skin later.

Attached Files:

11. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Then glue the structure into the end of the root section. Notice that I have covered the structure edges with thin paper per recommendations to avoid show through, plus I have also added some strengthening gussets.

Attached Files:

12. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Here we prepare the wing skin by glueing on the strip that the aileron attaches to.

Attached Files:

13. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

And then start glueing to the bones starting at the top, since you've got to get that little jigsaw shaped intersection lined up.

Attached Files:

14. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Before adding the lower tip skin, I've put in some "spreading strips" (that's what I call 'em, I don't know if they have a real name) to keep me from getting that too pinched look at the edge.

To make them curved like this, fold a piece of card lengthwise down the middle, and then snip every little bit through the fold.

Attached Files:

15. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Both wings on.

Man I love that gull wing shape!!

Attached Files:

16. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Next we build the flaps. Here is the inboard one, which has rib & spar structure.

I've also added spreading strips to these near the trailing edge as well.

Attached Files:

17. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Here's all 3 flaps together. You can see that there are unique features for all three. That little flap glued to the middle one slips into a slot in the inboard one to bridge the big gap in beween

Attached Files:

18. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Flaps installed, ready for hinge parts.

I have a feeling I've not got these glued on with enough angle. I'll have to test fit the hinge parts to see. But I don't know if I could re-set them even if I wanted to, without making a bigger mess!

Attached Files:

19. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

From the top:

Attached Files:

20. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Rick I don't know if your spreading strip on the inboard flap is a good idea. Most of the curve in the trailing edge is in the middle flap but there is a little bit of a curve in the trailing edge right at the aft outboard corner.

edit: I started this post before you got the last three up so I'm editing here. I designed the flaps (the middle is the most noticeable) so it has a curve built into it.

[​IMG]

You can see it somewhat here that there is a curve designed into the flap. I didn't build the inboard one very well but it curves just a little on the right side.