Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by rlwhitt, Jan 27, 2007.
Stab glued on, with the fairing piece added as well.
Skipping ahead a bit, Elevators built. These are made the same way as the rudder, except the hinge wire extends all the way to the bottom of the part to extend into the fuselage.
Finished tail. My gaps didn't turn quite equal on both sides, but that's me.
I like the design of the structure of these tail parts. I agree with Will about not needing a bunch of rib structure here. This is much simpler, yet very effective.
Back to the Wings
Going back to the wings, preparing to cover the root sections. To me, the wings on this model (including the flaps and the ailerons) are the most complex part, so I'm going to try to do better step by step here.
The first bits are parts that are installed in the wheel well section. The "X" section is to be cut out when building with wheels down. Take care to note the R vs. L labels!
Previously shown parts, installed.
Rick one seggestion before you cover the wing roots, put the bracket for the main gear on the front of the spar now. Not a big deal but it's a little harder when the skin is on.
As for the wingroot skin glue all pieces except G8, then glue the skin onto the bottom of the frame and make sure it is lined up around the landing gear bay and that tje frame is square, next glue the top of the skin against the fuselage but not in the middle or on the outer rib. At this point install G8 then glue the rest of the skin down. Hope that makes sense.
Without the parts in front of me, it's all a blur, but I'm sure it'll makes sense once I get back to it.
Thanks for the tip!
G8 is the middle leading edge skin piece that has the landing gear doors on it, so basically build the rest of the skin and wrap it around the frame before putting the middle piece in.
Which part is the bracket?
Also, I think there is a small error on the construction diagram page, top left box, the little part H1 should be G9 I think (H1 is a rib). You also might want to add a label to G4 in this picture.
I guess this is the bracket Will was talking about. I can see how it'd be hard to get in after wing skinning!
Now to start on the root skin "structure", which is a pretty involved affair, consisting of several skin parts backed up by a huge joining part. Here they are laid out sort of how they go together. The strip of 3 parts on the far right gets cut off of the one to its left, but they don't get put in until the rest has been skinned around the ribs. They will form the surface immediately in front of the flaps.
Here are all the main skin parts assembled. The part G8 that Will mentioned waiting on will cover that toothed gap in the middle, after this gets put on.
Note the left edge of this structure, where there are some cuts to separate some sections of the back edge of the skin. Some of these will fold down, some not. Pay attention to the drawings provided (and hopefully some pics further along here) to see where the cuts go.
That sort of oval hole in the last skin pic is home to an air input duct (oil cooler?) which is a little tricky to assemble. Here are the parts that make it. The white parts on the lower right need to be painted to look good (will see it later)
The on-part instructions about what mates to what other parts here is very helpful (it's used in several places on this model)
The skinny little G2b part from the last pic gets shaped and glued to the skin assembly.
And the rest of the parts get used up making a duct like this.
Duct gets attached to the previously glued strip...
Front view of duct.
Tomorrow We'll attach the skin to the wing bones! (hopefully)
Got a little bad news for you Rick.
Near as I can tell the 1949 incarnation had the oil cooler ductwork painted red but as you can see Mr. Odegaard painted it white as shown above.
Just a little trivia for all you Corsair fans, in the regular Corsair the inner 2/3's of the wing root intake was the carburator intake and the outer 1/3 was the oil cooler intake which exhausted out the bottom of the wing. There was a flap that could control the amount of air that flowed through the cooler.
The R-4360 was plumbed differently and required the carb intake to be moved to the top of the cowling and it also needed bigger oil coolers. One thing that threw me for a loop when I started designing this model was the absence of any exhausts for the oil coolers under the wings. I eventually discovered that they dump into the engine accessory compartment and from there the air vents through that compartments' cooling vent (the flap just behind the cowling on the underside of the aircraft).
Oh my, I'll have to go and rip all this out and repaint it all!! :grin:
G2b is red so all you have to do is cut C1 off. Hopefully that is a little bit of good news.