Build: Goodyear F2G Super Corsair, 1:32, Gremir

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by rlwhitt, Jan 27, 2007.

1. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

No point resting between models! Next up for me is the Super Corsair designed by our own Will Aldridge. This is a downloadable model from Gremir, and here is the link to the model, some pictures and history for the real plane:

http://www.gremirmodels.com/f2g_super_corsair.htm

---------------------------

Attached Files:

2. josve

josve Active Member

Man you are quick!!
    Looking forward to follow your way to the finishing line!
  3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

A definate reserve thread, coming up here, eh Chris?
    Of course, you knew that by the title and author, I'm sure.

Really looking forward to this classic with enthusiasm!

Russell
  4. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

The distrubution and printing of this kit is a bit unique. Rather than download or email PDF or JPEG files, the model sheets come bundled in a proprietary viewer executable, for which you get a key to unlock the parts pages themselves. The first time you run the downloaded viewer, it emails a request to Gremir, who then routes the key back to you.

One word of warning! You need to run the viewer and request the key on the same machine you will be using for your printing, as that key is tied to that particular PC!

One nice touch on this viewer is that you can rescale the model so easily, just by telling it you want to print say 1:48, instead of 1:32. You could go larger I guess, but of course you're limited by your printer's page size capabilities.

The model prints to 2 pages of paper parts to be laminated and 10 card stock pages. There is also an extra page of duplicated "metal" parts, that can be printed to metallic paper if desired and substituted for the normal printed ones. I intend to try this using Red River Silver injet paper.

There are several build options here. If you build it all, it comes out to about 420 parts worth. You can simplify things by electing wheels up, flaps not extended, control surfaces not hinged, etc. Of course, we're going to attempt to do it all in this thread. :grin:

Rick
  5. josve

josve Active Member

Of course we do it all!
    Thats where the fun is :)
  6. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

You can enlarge the model as much as you want - for printing, every page will be divided into several printouts, depending on the size of paper you will be using. DataViewer will also allow you to set an overlap on the printed pages to get each part in full.
  7. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Cool! I'm looking forward to this but have to confess to being a little nervous as well. I hope the model stands up to a competent builders scrutiny. After seeing your Hellcat and Zero I really hope this model won't be a disapointent to you.
  8. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Wow! Another front row seat to a great build to come!
  9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Looking forward to this Rick!
    Chris
    p.s. I gotta get working on those reserves! Been some great builds finished up lately!
  10. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Oh man, that's just too cool! Who is the genius behind this software?

11. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Jakub Znamirowski, author of Siatki software and the third member of the GreMir team.
  12. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Well I just hope to do it justice! Frankly I'm a bit apprehensive myself as there are some constructions in here that I don't have any experience with and hope I don't get too baffled!

I hope you can check in frequently in case I get confused and need to throw up a red flag before proceeding to mess something up.

Rick

13. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I'll definately be paying close attention. Just looking at it what are the areas that have you the most confused? #74 still has some parts that could be built that I haven't shown in my build thread (like the inboard wingsection).
  14. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Nothing of note yet, but looking ahead at the flaps and whatnot, they are pretty complicated. I have not really studied it enough to say I'll have any issues - you'll be the first to know... ;)

15. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Building has begun!

OK, now for some build pics! The first set of parts is the 'A' set (surprise!) that form the primary framework around the cockpit section.

I'm following Will's advice about NOT putting in the A-4 former and cockpit floor into the framework yet - rather I will do the entire cockpit as a section and then put it into the frame.

I felt that I wanted to beef things up a bit to help me try to avoid alignment issues, so I've added some corner gussets and some structural strips on the sides of the main part (A-1). This helps keep things rigid and square and makes me feel more secure... ;)

Attached Files:

16. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Instrument panel former with the cockpit floor/sidewall piece mated with it.

Attached Files:

17. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Another modification. As Will stated in his Beta build, doing the cockpit separate like this has the downside that the floor is not reinforced and may have buckling issues, particularly when stuffing the cockpit into the frame. I went ahead and added some reinforcements under the floor, as seen here.

Attached Files:

18. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Left side complete with controls, plus the control stick in place. The wire that forms the stick pokes down all the way through the floor under the boot. I found that when mating the cockpit with the frame, I had too much wire sticking out and it interfered with the A-1 frame down the middle. Perhaps I put the stick too far down through the floor? At any rate, I had no good way to snip it off, so I bent it to the side and made a little slot in A-1 to accomodate it and carried on...

Attached Files:

19. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Driver's Throne built and installed, prior to buttoning up the cockpit walls.

I thought this seemed an interesting seat construction. More complex than the other warplanes I've seen. It seems to have padding. Was this a modification made to this plane when it was pressed into service as a racer? At any rate, it looks much more comfortable than the typical sheet metal bucket!

Attached Files:

20. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Finally for tonight, the cockpit mated with the frame. As you can see, the cockpit walls are forming the glue strips for the skins to be added later.

Will, one question before I commit too far. See here that the cockpit sides do not quite reach up the the transition from curved sides of the rear cockpit former and the headrest section. I messed with this wondering if this was correct. I could force it up to the transition, but then the cockpit floor rose up beyond the colored part of the rear cockpit former, which did not seem right.

Attached Files: