Build a table saw?

silveroxide

If you are into ship building, go to micromark.com and they have a hand gauge cutter that uses a #11, and you can make planking strip for the ships hull. It look a little like a matte border cutter. Plus they have mini table saws and routers and lathes for the miniature worker. It is a modelers candy store. They have many model accessories for the hobbyist. Enjoy.

Chaparral

Is there a trick to this thing?
I tried 1/32 balsa and basswood.
It's design and approach is so simple a house trained chimp could use it, but me, I make splinters?

Attachments

• Cutter1.JPG
    Cutter1.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 134

bulldogowner

Destroyer of Spam
May want to try making more than one pass...just an idea...or try tipping the blade a little more than in the picture...

Sawdust

Bulldogowner is right, tilt your blade a little more, make sure you keep the guide against your wood & the down fall for this not many cuts per blade. Also like mentioned don't cut so deep on first pass. Sometimes you can snip the very end of your blade off after a few cuts & readjust your blade to prolong the life of it.

silveroxide

Yes, as mentioned above, the tilt is very important.

Note: Once you go off line on the edge, The cutter will not cut in a straight line. You may have to square the line edge with a steel ruler and knife to keep the edge even. Then start to cut your strips again. Keep the tool close to the edge and fight the grain that wants to pull your blade out of alignment.

Chaparral

Not to beat the tar out of this thing but, I've cut on foam board, self healing mat, my desk top and a wooden cutting board. I've read where some use a straight edge and an 11 in their knives. I dunno???

bulldogowner

Destroyer of Spam
It can be aggravating...that's why I just buy the stock I need. Guess I'm lucky...I have a hobby shop nearby that carries pretty much all sizes from 1/32x1/32 up to 1/2x1/2. What they don't have, I buy close to size and use an oscilating spindle sander to make what I need. Just don't cut stock on the dining room table.....:(