Build: 16c European Armour

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, Figurines & Paperdolls' started by Mark_1984, Mar 9, 2007.

1. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I'm slow...I finally got it!

" what? That?...it's just a flesh wound! Come back here and I'll bite you to death". The Black Knight...right?

Very beautiful Mark!!!
  2. thewoodengraver

Duh Phil, Clashster already beat ya...it will help if I actually READ the posts before I try to sound so cool! lol
  3. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

You are, indeed, a brave knight sir Phil. Will you join my band ?

A classic movie - should be compulsory viewing for English literature students ;)
  4. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

I coloured the inside of the helmet black.
    [​IMG]
    Not the smartest move as it turned out. Although I tested in on some scrap card to make sure it didn't bleed through.... I didn't consider the score lines :cry:
    [​IMG]

The black bled through some of the score lines..... and I can't see any way to fix it. Fortunately they are not very noticable on the actual model. The photo seems to accentuate them for some reason.

Sticking you neck (out ?)

[​IMG]

Here is the colar.......

[​IMG]

These parts went very smoothly.
    I may get back to the head next. I tend to jump about a bit - doing different parts of the model as and when I feel like it.
  5. thewoodengraver

Not bad at all, may I suggest acrylic paint instead of...I'm guessing a sharpie?
  6. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Thanks Phil, I'll bear that in mind for the future.
  7. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

I've made quite a bit of progress recently. The body has almost been completed. All that's left is the side skirts. I'll leave those till last as they look a bit vunerable. Here is the sequence.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    He's got quite a belly on him :wink:

[​IMG]

This all went smoothly and fitted well.

Then I fitted the first arm
    [​IMG]
    Surprisingly this fitted quite easily, although it not that easy to get to the tabs once the arm is in place. The second arm is going to be a right so-n-so as the access is even more difficult (having filled in the handy hole in the shoulder !!)

[​IMG]

The glove looks nice - the art work is particularly good some of the armour.

Now I'm about to find out why the instructions say fit the elbow guards and gloves before fitting the arm to the body :-?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The tabs are right between the arm and the body :cry: Just a tad tricky to get to.....

[​IMG]
    The lower body is completed now, and waiting for the leg armour.

I've found the some of the cuts can be a little out compared to the score lines. I reckon that this is the cutter being misplaced slightly as the score lines tally with the pattern on the front on the parts. However, I move the score lines so that the line up with the cuts; joins in the tabs, etc. It hasn't affected construction at all.
  8. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

More good progress made. I did the left arm in the proper order. Here it is with the armour fitted. Much easier to do if the arm isn't fitted to the body :roll:
    [​IMG]

And here is the said arm fitted to the body
    [​IMG]

On to the head - here is the basic head completed

[​IMG]

Here is a little thingy that holds the feather (I have got no idea what it's really called !!!)

[​IMG]

and finally the head complete with visor and little thingy ;)

[​IMG]

All that is missing is the feather, which will go on last.

Legs !! His knees look very knobly

[​IMG]

They could do with some leggings

[​IMG]

Fitted - that looks much better.

[​IMG]

I also made a bit of a start on the sword. The blade didn't go very well - the tip didn't want to go quite right, and the blade ended up with a slight curve in it. With hind sight, I should have cut the tip off and glued it on as a separate piece.

[​IMG]

Not much further to go now - then I'll get back to Aru !!
  9. Clashster

Clashster Member

Wonderful progress! Great build, Mark! This will look excellent on display... Thanks for the update!

Chris
  10. thewoodengraver

Very clean Mark! I can even hear the " Clang-Clang" as he steps...
    Like it...like it...like it...like it...like it!!!
  11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

this is awesome! thanks for sharing - know any kids that can fit in it? :D
    Chris
  12. sr5nm

sr5nm Member

Looks great. You should scale down either Sheila's Mace or flail and give that to him instead of the sword.
  13. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Thanks for the comments guys - only one or two evenings work left to finish it now :)

Then it's back to Aru. I've also got a Wilhelmshavener Modell submarine kit (U96 & U995 if I remember) in the cupboard which might tempt me next. Only trouble is that the instructions are in German, and I can read more Japanese than I can German !!
  14. NULLMOON

NULLMOON Member

needs to be life-sized and standing in the hallway:grin:
  15. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

That would be cool - and make it out of sheet metal rather than sheet paper ;)
  16. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Finished

He's finished at last :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all an enjoyable and fairly easy build. I'm very pleased with the results.
  17. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

Wonderful looking model.. Looks real sharp posed on the table..
  18. rockpaperscissor

rockpaperscissor Member

Terrific looking model, a nice clean build. The texturing is wonderful - it really looks like polished metal. I wonder if it a model of an actual suit of armor, or just a general representation of the armor of that period. In either case, it makes a fine looking display. Great job!

Regards,
    Don
  19. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Super! Very nice work there :)
    Chris
  20. Clashster

Clashster Member

Awesome, Mark! Nice job - hard to tell it is paper! You'll have to put it under glass and explain it was armor for a King's young child! :wink: Thanks for the great build thread!

Chris