Build: 16c European Armour

M

Mark_1984

You are, indeed, a brave knight sir Phil. Will you join my band ?

A classic movie - should be compulsory viewing for English literature students ;)

M

Mark_1984

I coloured the inside of the helmet black.
head1.jpg

Not the smartest move as it turned out. Although I tested in on some scrap card to make sure it didn't bleed through.... I didn't consider the score lines :cry:
head2.jpg

The black bled through some of the score lines..... and I can't see any way to fix it. Fortunately they are not very noticable on the actual model. The photo seems to accentuate them for some reason.

Sticking you neck (out ?)

neck1.jpg

Here is the colar.......

neck2.jpg

These parts went very smoothly.
I may get back to the head next. I tend to jump about a bit - doing different parts of the model as and when I feel like it.

M

Mark_1984

I've made quite a bit of progress recently. The body has almost been completed. All that's left is the side skirts. I'll leave those till last as they look a bit vunerable. Here is the sequence.
body3.jpg

body4.jpg

body5.jpg

He's got quite a belly on him :wink:

body6.jpg

This all went smoothly and fitted well.

Then I fitted the first arm
bodynarm.jpg

Surprisingly this fitted quite easily, although it not that easy to get to the tabs once the arm is in place. The second arm is going to be a right so-n-so as the access is even more difficult (having filled in the handy hole in the shoulder !!)

glove1.jpg

The glove looks nice - the art work is particularly good some of the armour.

Now I'm about to find out why the instructions say fit the elbow guards and gloves before fitting the arm to the body :-?

glove2.jpg

elbow1.jpg

The tabs are right between the arm and the body :cry: Just a tad tricky to get to.....

legs3.jpg

The lower body is completed now, and waiting for the leg armour.

I've found the some of the cuts can be a little out compared to the score lines. I reckon that this is the cutter being misplaced slightly as the score lines tally with the pattern on the front on the parts. However, I move the score lines so that the line up with the cuts; joins in the tabs, etc. It hasn't affected construction at all.

M

Mark_1984

More good progress made. I did the left arm in the proper order. Here it is with the armour fitted. Much easier to do if the arm isn't fitted to the body :roll:
leftarm.jpg

And here is the said arm fitted to the body
upperbody.jpg

On to the head - here is the basic head completed

head3.jpg

Here is a little thingy that holds the feather (I have got no idea what it's really called !!!)

head4.jpg

and finally the head complete with visor and little thingy ;)

head5.jpg

All that is missing is the feather, which will go on last.

Legs !! His knees look very knobly

knees.jpg

They could do with some leggings

leggings.jpg

Fitted - that looks much better.

finishedlegs.jpg

I also made a bit of a start on the sword. The blade didn't go very well - the tip didn't want to go quite right, and the blade ended up with a slight curve in it. With hind sight, I should have cut the tip off and glued it on as a separate piece.

sword1.jpg

Not much further to go now - then I'll get back to Aru !!

C

cgutzmer

this is awesome! thanks for sharing - know any kids that can fit in it? :D
Chris

sr5nm

Jul 9, 2004
Looks great. You should scale down either Sheila's Mace or flail and give that to him instead of the sword.

M

Mark_1984

Thanks for the comments guys - only one or two evenings work left to finish it now :)

Then it's back to Aru. I've also got a Wilhelmshavener Modell submarine kit (U96 & U995 if I remember) in the cupboard which might tempt me next. Only trouble is that the instructions are in German, and I can read more Japanese than I can German !!

M

Mark_1984

That would be cool - and make it out of sheet metal rather than sheet paper ;)

M

Mark_1984

Finished

He's finished at last :D

finished1.jpg

finished2.jpg

finished3.jpg

All in all an enjoyable and fairly easy build. I'm very pleased with the results.

Clashster

Dec 1, 2006
The Conch Republic
Awesome, Mark! Nice job - hard to tell it is paper! You'll have to put it under glass and explain it was armor for a King's young child! :wink: Thanks for the great build thread!

Chris