Build: 16c European Armour

M

Mark_1984

I'm just starting the 3dpaper's model of the 16 century European Armour (a bit of light relief from Aru :wink: ) but where to post pictures of the build ? Here, or under Armour ?????? Oh, life is full of such tough decisions...... Or maybe, just maybe, if I asked really really nicely, could a very considerate administrator give us a 'Real People' section ?

Uh ?

Please

Pretty pretty please......... :)

Oh, here is the link to the product. It's quite big (Sorry Phil ;) ) at 2 ft tall, die cut but not scored. Looks like a nice model, and not too difficult.

http://3dpaper.com/eng/02_3DPCon/Contents_View.asp?ContentsCateID=1006&ContentsCode=1025

M

Mark_1984

Start, we must

This came in quite a big box. The sheets are all well printed, on both sides. They are all (annoyingly) too big to go in my scanner, so no chance to make a back-up copy. I'll just have to be carefull. Most of the sheets have colour on one side, with score lines on the backs. This is great :grin: Some sheets, notably the armour plates that can be seen on both sides are pronted colour both sides. A few of the lines have been scores, but most haven't. Don't quite understand this - but it's probably better not scored as I can do a better score with an empty biro. Tabs everywhere, and I'll use them. On a model this big there seems little to be gained by using backing tabs.
cover.jpg

Here are some of the sheets - there are 12 in all.
parts.jpg

The instructions are simply a sheet showing the order which the parts go together. Perfectly adequate. The fold lines are marked with a circle if they are a backward fold (mountain instead of valley). One of the tabs on each part has a shaped symbol which lines up with a similar shape on the adjacent part. An easy way of making sure you dont get the elbow joint the wqrong way round ;)

M

Mark_1984

Together - glue the parts - progress we make

foot.jpg

Start with a foot, since that's where the instructions start.

shin.jpg

And progress with a shin.
It all goes together very well. I've simply used black or brown felt tip to colour the edges. The parts are either black, or many shades of brown, so a medium brown disguses the edges nicely.

leg.jpg

Finally a leg is made. It's big - that leg is a foot ;)
The top part of the leg was a bit of a game.

hand.jpg

I'm so pleased with myself I gave myself a big hand :eek:ops: The thumb was a bit of a so-n-so to get right, but right it went.

All in all this is making into a nice model (at the moment.... touch wood)

C

cgutzmer

That is awesome!

It would not have scanned well anyway - metallic never scans better than a dull grey....
Chris

M

Mark_1984

Every brave warrior must be armed ;)

arm.jpg

The tabs over the glove are for fixing some of the armour.

ulious

Feb 6, 2004
This is one of the untouched models that I have on my shelf, maybe I should break it out and play.

M

Mark_1984

ekuth said:
Good gods! How tall is this thing completed?

It's supposed to be about 2 feet tall. I have no idea where to display it when it's finished :-?

M

Mark_1984

More progress. Here are the left-overs from a Monty Python sketch ;)
limbs.jpg

The next step is to join the legs and fit the lower torso. (Can I say bum here :roll: )

yaniv

Nov 6, 2004
i reaply only to move the spam nude massege to the end

we have some kids here

M

Mark_1984

I've joined the legs together now. This was a bit of a game and the front didn't go perfectly. However, the mis-match is hidden behind the skirt, so it doesn't show.
legs2.jpg

On to the helmet. Here are the parts that form the top of the helmet
helmetparts.jpg

And here they are joined together.
helmet.jpg

There is an eye slot in the helmet. so I think I will need to colour the inside black to avoid having the white interior visible.