Build: 16c European Armour

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, Figurines & Paperdolls' started by Mark_1984, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

I'm just starting the 3dpaper's model of the 16 century European Armour (a bit of light relief from Aru :wink: ) but where to post pictures of the build ? Here, or under Armour ?????? Oh, life is full of such tough decisions...... Or maybe, just maybe, if I asked really really nicely, could a very considerate administrator give us a 'Real People' section ?

Uh ?

Please

Pretty pretty please......... :)

Oh, here is the link to the product. It's quite big (Sorry Phil ;) ) at 2 ft tall, die cut but not scored. Looks like a nice model, and not too difficult.

http://3dpaper.com/eng/02_3DPCon/Contents_View.asp?ContentsCateID=1006&ContentsCode=1025
  2. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Wow... This is gonna be cool.......
  3. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

What makes you think I do not like them big?
    Waiting patiently...
  4. Clashster

Clashster Member

Definately looks cool! Can't wait to see the pics!!

Chris
  5. ulious

ulious Member

Ok, I want to make an off color comment but I'll pass! LOL
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I like the tongue in cheek placement in armor :)
    Chris
  7. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Start, we must

This came in quite a big box. The sheets are all well printed, on both sides. They are all (annoyingly) too big to go in my scanner, so no chance to make a back-up copy. I'll just have to be carefull. Most of the sheets have colour on one side, with score lines on the backs. This is great :grin: Some sheets, notably the armour plates that can be seen on both sides are pronted colour both sides. A few of the lines have been scores, but most haven't. Don't quite understand this - but it's probably better not scored as I can do a better score with an empty biro. Tabs everywhere, and I'll use them. On a model this big there seems little to be gained by using backing tabs.
    [​IMG]
    Here are some of the sheets - there are 12 in all.
    [​IMG]

The instructions are simply a sheet showing the order which the parts go together. Perfectly adequate. The fold lines are marked with a circle if they are a backward fold (mountain instead of valley). One of the tabs on each part has a shaped symbol which lines up with a similar shape on the adjacent part. An easy way of making sure you dont get the elbow joint the wqrong way round ;)
  8. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Together - glue the parts - progress we make

[​IMG]
    Start with a foot, since that's where the instructions start.

[​IMG]
    And progress with a shin.
    It all goes together very well. I've simply used black or brown felt tip to colour the edges. The parts are either black, or many shades of brown, so a medium brown disguses the edges nicely.

[​IMG]
    Finally a leg is made. It's big - that leg is a foot ;)
    The top part of the leg was a bit of a game.

[​IMG]
    I'm so pleased with myself I gave myself a big hand :oops: The thumb was a bit of a so-n-so to get right, but right it went.

All in all this is making into a nice model (at the moment.... touch wood)
  9. Clashster

Clashster Member

Looks great, Mark! Such a cool model! Thanks for the update!

Chris
  10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

That is awesome!

It would not have scanned well anyway - metallic never scans better than a dull grey....
    Chris
  11. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Thanks guys

It's not actually metallic, just very well textured.
  12. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Every brave warrior must be armed ;)

[​IMG]

The tabs over the glove are for fixing some of the armour.
  13. ulious

ulious Member

This is one of the untouched models that I have on my shelf, maybe I should break it out and play.
  14. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Good gods! How tall is this thing completed?
  15. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

It's supposed to be about 2 feet tall. I have no idea where to display it when it's finished :-?
  16. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

More progress. Here are the left-overs from a Monty Python sketch ;)
    [​IMG]

The next step is to join the legs and fit the lower torso. (Can I say bum here :roll: )
  17. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

i reaply only to move the spam nude massege to the end

we have some kids here
  18. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

I've joined the legs together now. This was a bit of a game and the front didn't go perfectly. However, the mis-match is hidden behind the skirt, so it doesn't show.
    [​IMG]

On to the helmet. Here are the parts that form the top of the helmet
    [​IMG]
    And here they are joined together.
    [​IMG]

There is an eye slot in the helmet. so I think I will need to colour the inside black to avoid having the white interior visible.
  19. Clashster

Clashster Member

Very cool! The legs by themselves kinda reminds me of the Black Knight... "come back here, I'll bite both your legs off!" :grin:
  20. gippolot

gippolot Member

That's going to be a pretty flash looking suit of armour Mark.:) I look forward to seeing the finished article.

Andrew