budget layout

Collyn

Aug 18, 2006
Canon City CO
www.rankinrevolutions.com
here are the beginings of my new budget layout. The layout is a simple lima bean shape. It is half farm half prarie. Materials used are scrap osb, fake fur, balsa wood for scratchbuilt barn, three peices of flextrack and equivalent cork roadbed, left over cows and unused farm hose, and left over grass balast etc. Basicly all I baught was the fur. now for pictures. I started out with a board 3 ft by 2 feet, that was already cut. Then I glued the foam onto it and carved it out. It is the bead type but I have a good dust collector for wood turning so i did not have to worry about the mess.:D Then the track was laid, fur was died, installed and blended. The fence was installed, buildings placed, pond and stream location carved out, and plowed field installed.

Attachments

• c prarie 0 start.jpg
    c prarie 0 start.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 448
  • c prarie 1st 006.jpg
    c prarie 1st 006.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 446
  • c prarie 1st 012.jpg
    c prarie 1st 012.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 443
  • c prarie 2nd 001.jpg
    c prarie 2nd 001.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 442
  • c prarie 2nd 007.jpg
    c prarie 2nd 007.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 441

umtrr-author

Dec 19, 2003
Visit site
Everyone's on a budget of one sort or another.

I was a little concerned about one of the track joints, in the foreground of the 4th photo in your original post. It seemed to be quite a bit misaligned. Was that just the way the photo looked?

COX 47

Dec 28, 2004
Way to go..Nice layout and great job pinching those pennies...There is a bunch of us out here who have to make due with tiny and sometimes no budjets and still enjoying the hobby....Cox 47

Collyn

Aug 18, 2006
Canon City CO
umtrr-author said:
Everyone's on a budget of one sort or another.

I was a little concerned about one of the track joints, in the foreground of the 4th photo in your original post. It seemed to be quite a bit misaligned. Was that just the way the photo looked?
It is a little of both. Most of what you see in that picture is solder that got in there and reflecting lighter making it look like there is a huge gap. But it is misalingned but not terribly bad. The joint ended up in a horrible location. Right at an s bend. I just could not get it to line up right. I had a whole box of nails tacked around the track trying to get it to stay in the shape I wanted but it just wouldn't work. It is not causing any problems because I am running only my 4-4-0 on it anyway. The larger locos just don't look right.

Here are updated shots of todays progress. I finished the barn and added a light to it. I then finished the area around it. I do want to add chicken coop. I will probably replicate one my freind has.

Attachments

• c prarie 4th 002.jpg
    c prarie 4th 002.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 373
  • c prarie 4th 012.jpg
    c prarie 4th 012.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 357

Collyn

Aug 18, 2006
Canon City CO
i finally got some good pictures by seting the layout on my desk so I could use the tripod. I also used a .7 second exposure compensation because of poor lighting. I used a batch conversion software for the first time so i will see how the quality goes.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 256
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 252
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 247
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 245
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 249

berraf

Oct 29, 2006
Odeshog, Sweden
www.fasth.de
Thanks for the new pictures :wave:
Could you please tell a man with poor knowledge a little about the loco and yellow wagons?

By the way, the grey house looks great and the barn looks like.....a barn :thumb:

Collyn

Aug 18, 2006
Canon City CO
The loco it a 4-4-0 made by bachman. The cars are an athern overton set D&RGW. The silver car is just a transition car I am useing until I can switch out the coupler. I almost forgot the logo. I think it looks 1880s like. It stands for budget and prarie farm. Kinda arbitrary but it looks good. It is already on the side of the layout I just need to put it on some box cars.

Attachments

• logo.jpg
    logo.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 219

Collyn

Aug 18, 2006
Canon City CO
sorry for the short answer. I thought I hsd 5min. They are 6 3 3/4 and 2.They are surprisingly good with it. I let them control it. The older protects the middle from doinng something they shouldn't be doing with it. And they both keep the baby away although he is goo, he just points and stares. They are thomas fanatics. They even help cleen the track. They saw me and ever since they saw me with a bright boy they are rubbing it with an eraser.