Buck Rogers Thunderfighter mods

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Revell-Fan, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator Moderator

And this is it, the David Jones Thunderfighter.

Attached Files:

Rhaven Blaack likes this.
  2. Revell-Fan

This is a true world premiere: As far as I know this model existed only as a painting. It has never been built - until now.

Attached Files:

3. Revell-Fan

While developing this model the advantages of paper modeling really showed. If I had made this model using the old Monogram plastic kit, I would have had to completely sand off the surface structure, carve in another, build the new parts from styrene sheet, use a lot of putty, produce much plastic dust and debris and airbrush the assembled parts. With paper I only had to redesign the parts in the PC, paint them digitally, print them, test fit them and glue them together. In addition, I saved a lot of money considering that the old Monogram kit would cost an arm and a leg on the collector's market nowadays. I would estimate the cost of this paper model by approximately 2 - 5 $ (for colour, paper, glue and power).

CU with the next one! :wave:

Attached Files:

4. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator Moderator

Let me be the first one to say that this fighter looks FANTASTIC!!!
    I can see where some of the build might be easier then the original.
    This would make a WONDERFUL addition to my (ever growing TF) collection.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!
  5. Rhaven Blaack

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

Just to let everyone know that this thread is not dead. Both Revell-fan and i have been busy with real life tasks that (unfortunately) take precedence.

To give all of you an update with me though. I have been building Revell-fans' version of the MK-III. Unfortunately, my camera is not working right now (otherwise, i would be posting photos). Once I am finished, I will post photos (hopefully my camera will be working then). Revell-fan is also working on the parts for my version of the MK-III and once I am finished with my current build, I will build that one as well.

Please be patient. This extra parts will be coming out soon.

Thank you all for your continued support and encouragement.
  6. Revell-Fan

Ditto, RB! :thumb:

Here comes the old Starfighter. It is seen in the episode "Happy Birthday, Buck", hence it is also called the "HBB" TF. This short form always makes me smile because it comes very close to the Indian word "Habibi" (= "I love you").

Let me begin with the new parts: sleds, inner and outer canards.

Attached Files:

7. Revell-Fan

The model builders at Universal Hartland attached the laser cannons of the Colonial Viper to the outer canards. I tried to incorporate the small bars on them. These are fiddly parts and I recommend to work carefully.

Attached Files:

8. Revell-Fan

And when all new parts are attached, the fighter should look like this...

Attached Files:

9. Revell-Fan

Some close-ups.

Attached Files:

10. Revell-Fan

And this is my current collection of Thunderfighter mods. Two (or three) more are still to come, together with some recoloured versions of the base model.

I have sent RB a revised version of the parts for the Mk. III for approval. The new version will look more sleek and mean and will represent his original vision more precisely. We have agreed on referring to my version as the "Retro Mk. III" because it features certain retro elements from the HBB TF (blunt canards and tails). It can be seen as a predecessor of the upcoming final Mk. III, built by the EDD for testing and improving only. If everything proceeds as planned, both versions will be released.

Now I am tackling the cockpit interiors and the original concept Viper by Ralph McQuarrie. This one will be fun because it belongs to "Battlestar Galactica" and will therefore lead over to one of my next projects smoothly.

CU! :wave:

Attached Files:

11. MTK

MTK Active Member

Awesome looking models. Great work and thanks for sharing!:thumb:
  12. dlazarus6660

dlazarus6660 New Member

A mating?

R-F,
    Great job!
    I would like to to see a mating of the Davy Jones and the Happy Birthday Buck ships. Another words, add the rudder fins and canards to the Davy Jones ship. With out the tip guns,either.

Daniel
  13. Kjev

Kjev Member

Wow. I especially like the one with the red trim. Are these available for download?
  14. Rhaven Blaack

Revell-fan,

As always, you have done an OUTSTANDING job on the HBB-TF!!!
    Your small squadron looks good.

Once I finish the MK-III RETRO, I will build the MK-III Advance followed by the HBB-TF.

Dlazarus6660,

Once we get everything working properly (and the "OK" from Martin Saenger) we will be releasing what all we can. So you can download everything and "mix and match" the parts that you want and come up with your own fan based fighter.

Kjev,

Not yet, though I am hoping that we will be able to release them soon.
  15. dlazarus6660

dlazarus6660 New Member

Scale Cube

R-B,

Could you place a scale cube in the next pic you take?

Daniel
  16. Rhaven Blaack

Yes, I can include a scale cube with my next photos.

Just to let you know, all of these models are built with Martin Saengers, TF as a base, then we just add the extra parts where needed. We have not changed the size or scale in any way. The models are 1:32 scale. abaout 30cm long, 17cm wide (with standard wing), 23cm wide (with FSW)

I hope that will give you an idea of the size.
  17. Rhaven Blaack

Update

I have good news and bad news.

The good news is, I have finished the MK-III RETRO on Friday. It went together great, with no problems that I could find. It was a very easy build. Very straight forward.

Now for the bad news. Unfortunately I was not able to get any photos of it before it had met its untimely demise to the hands of a six year old boy.
    What had happened was, I had a couple (with their six year old son, that makes Dennis the menus look like a saint) over for a later lunch on Saturday.
    I was still cooking when they arrived. I had a few old models that I had used for "PROOF OF CONCEPT" builds and decided to let the boy play with them to keep him occupied, then went back to cooking. Shortly after I went back to the kitchen, I started hearing paper ripping, and at first I did not think anything of it. a few minutes later I went back to check on my guests and found that the mother had given her son the MK-III REETRO to play with and he destroyed. it.
    I had asked why she had done such and she responded that her son wanted it so she gave it to him. She did not think that it was a big deal, because it was only paper and I can always make another one. So I explained to her what the model was for and that I needed it for a deadlined project. Again her response was the same. Needless to say, I am quite angry now.
    At least the father did apologize for what his son had done.

I have starting on the MK-III Advance, so that we can get that one finished and released. After that I will go right into the HBB-TF.
  18. MTK

MTK Active Member

That is such a bummer. If it's not kids, it's cats..... The mother needs to get a grip....:confused:
  19. dlazarus6660

dlazarus6660 New Member

Mothers house

When you get over to the mothers house, break something of hers and tell her it's only paper!
  20. Rhaven Blaack

Thank you for all of the words of encouragement.
    I have learned that I need to keep my eye on them (as well as lock up my models) when they are over.

I have decided to just put all of this behind me and concentrate on the projects that I have in front of me now. I am working on the MK-III advance (I hope that it will not take too long to build). After I finish it, I will be working on the HBB-TF.

I can guarantee that all of you that have been following this thread, will greatly enjoy building these as much as Revell-fan and I have, but I am also curtain that you will have fun mixing and matching the parts to create your own planes (which I would love to see your creations, of course).