BSNF demoted to helper

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
I couldn't help the title. This one was the helper behind a Norfolk Southern today on the Horse Shoe Curve.

bsnf.jpg

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
I see lots of BNSF power on the NS here in Bucyrus.Some times the BNSF unit is the lead unit other times its a trailing unit in a locomotive consist.
Maybe,just maybe BNSF does mean Buy NS First.:ANYWORD:

myltlpny

Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, VA
www.homesiteinc.com
Actually, that's an interesting shot. There seems to be a panel, just behind the cab before the first stanchion, that's still painted with the red warbonnet scheme. I'm assuming it's a replacement panel. What do you think?

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
I couldn't help the title. This one was the helper behind a Norfolk Southern today on the Horse Shoe Curve.

It's trailing because it is not equipped with cab signals and therefore can't lead a train on that route.

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Actually, that's an interesting shot. There seems to be a panel, just behind the cab before the first stanchion, that's still painted with the red warbonnet scheme. I'm assuming it's a replacement panel. What do you think?

That's the air conditioner and they are frequently swapped around on GE locomotives, regardless of the paint they carry. Norfolk Southern units will have a primer-only AC on a fully painted unit as well as a painted AC on a primer-only body. You can also see lighter orange AC units taken from a faded locomotive and installed on a freshly painted one.

myltlpny

Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, VA
www.homesiteinc.com
That's the air conditioner and they are frequently swapped around on GE locomotives, regardless of the paint they carry. Norfolk Southern units will have a primer-only AC on a fully painted unit as well as a painted AC on a primer-only body. You can also see lighter orange AC units taken from a faded locomotive and installed on a freshly painted one.
Thanks. That makes a lot of sense now that you mention it.:thumb: