BSG MedEvac Raptor.

mcusanelli

Feb 26, 2008
That looks awesome! Beautiful work, sir. I'm so excited to see all these Raptors that I printed out a grey one to build next. I'll have to try the superglue trick on my canopy, and raising the frame is a great idea too. Thanks!
Mike

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
That is quite an interesting technique that you used on the canopy.
Your Raptor is really coming together beautifully.
It is going to look far better then mine.

Keep up the GREAT work.

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
Thanks for all the positive feedback. :thumb:

I am pleased with the way the canopy is turning out. But it will look even better when I am finished with the process.:cool:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Brilliant! Keep it on! I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
Shiny and smooth!!!

Managed to get the glazing process finished last night.
I am very pleased with the result, it looks like glass!!!
Tonight I am going to do the framing of the canopy to finish it off.

IMG-20121206-00438.jpg

IMG-20121206-00442.jpg

IMG-20121206-00447.jpg

IMG-20121206-00448.jpg

:wave:

Z

Zathros

That window is so intense I would seriously consider using it as a plug for a clear window. I don't think the model would suffer if you were careful. Some heated Saran Wrap to act as a protective shield, then fiberglass a section that will give you enough to make a vacuum chamber and you could sell those bad boys. The came out incredible, as has the rest of the model!! :)

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
Thanks Zathros.
When Revell Fan completes the interior for his Raptor series, I will rebuild the ship (or another version) using a clear canopy.
Somewhere on the forum there was a technique shown for doing this, by making the paper canopy inside out and making a plug. Plastic drinking bottles were used if I remember correctly.

EDIT: Found the link here: http://paperinside.com/wp-content/tutorials/Canopy_Thermoforming.pdf

I am looking forward to seeing how this one looks once I get the framing on tonight.

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
After a few days away, I have managed to get the canopy framed up at last...

I made framing pieces and cut them out and coloured them. I left them over long for trimming to fit.

071.jpg

Starting to go on....

078.jpg

Framing done! Once dry, I am gonna colour them up a bit better, and give the 'glass' another thin coat of Future to clean up any marks left from assembly.

084.jpg
095.jpg
092.jpg
091.jpg

:wave:

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
Ok now I think you got some of the modeling skill that I obviously didn't get. Very Nice.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
If you filled that canopy with construction foam, you could heat some clear blister pack plastic and drape it right over it and get the shape. Mount he canopy so you can pull the plastic sheet rightly, it will cool very fast, and take the shape. You then trim to fit. You have made a perfect plug, so theoretically, you could use plaster of Paris, press the canopy into it, again filled with construction foam, so it won't collapse. Drill holes after it dries to allow suction tunes to be attached. The box could be constructed so that when you press in the canopy, there is an edge you can tape a flat sheet of clear or smoked plastic, turn on the section, carefully heat with a blow drier, and you will be able to vacu-form a clear plastic canopy, which you could spray from the inside to smoke the glass.

This video below shows the easiest way. It's really easy to do, and you have a plug already made.

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
Well, ok. When I first started this model there was no interior available..... So no need for a clear canopy.......!

For my feel, with a bit of acrylic coating, it now looks like glass..... but,, depicted with the cockpit interior lights switched off..... !
Maybe the pilots were up to something in the darkness......;)
Something like the end of a 007 movie ....:D

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
DARN - I knew I forgot something! The cockpit interior! Erh... It is on my list but somehow was pushed right at the far bottom-left corner of it... I don't know if I have the time to make it in the near future. If anyone wants to tackle it, go for it. If you need the original CG model, just PM me. :)

Reactions: DanBKing