BSG 1.5 Foot Galactica

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Syph007, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Syph007

Syph007 Member

Well I'm still chugging through my Galactica builds. Decided to give the 1.5 ft version a try. Started on the upper bridge section first.

Attached Files:

2. Syph007

Syph007 Member

Here is the lower and middle parts of the front section.

Attached Files:

3. Syph007

Syph007 Member

Ok I'm very stuck and confused at this step. I can't figure out how the Former LH-1 is supposed to attach and how to fold the tips of the big piece. Does anyone have any build pics of this step or any tips? Thanks very much!

Attached Files:

4. Syph007

Syph007 Member

The pictures in the instructions are kind of confusing, but I built ahead a bit and I think I figured it out. Placing these bigger formers that merge with the side landing bays also seems tough. It's hard to know exactly where to put them, and I dont like guessing so I've been doing lots of dry fitting and measuring.

Attached Files:

5. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Lookin good

Hey Syph007,

Your build is looking great. Make sure you've downloaded the patch files for your version. There were two patches released for the 1.5 foot version, and three patches for the 3 foot version. The secdond patch file corrects the textures on the landing bay arms so you'll want that one for sure.

Perhaps in a future release/patch I can include a guide to be glued on the inner face of that hull section. That would make placing the formers easy.

The diagram at the bottom of page 10 in the instructions gives a profile of that piece and shows the position of the formers. You seem to have it nailed pretty well. If the former is off even a quarter inch one way or the other it would be visibly off compared to the diagram, so study that diagram and trust your eyes.

I'll monitor this thread and respond as quickly as I can to any further questions. It's always a treat to see these babies being built. I'm presently working on finishing the Agro ship (the new series version). I'm having to do quite a bit of texture work on the domes though, and I'm kind of slow at that.

Regards,

Steve
  6. Syph007

Syph007 Member

Hi, thanks for the tips. I did remember to get the patch files, so I should be good. I got the formers lined up fine since they match the land bay recess parts fine. I'm trying to attach them now. Thanks again!
  7. Syph007

Syph007 Member

Doh, I didn't think about what I was doing and ending up forming the landing bay recesses backwards. With the printed part on the outside not the inside. Reprinting those today and trying again. I found a google sketchup model of the galacatica and it's been handy to look at to see how the major pieces fit together.

The only thing i want to change is to make the cannons more 3d looking, but im not quite sure what I'm going to do yet.
  8. SEBRET

SEBRET Member

i guess a rolled tube approach is out of the question?
  9. Syph007

Syph007 Member

Well I got the landing bay recesses remade correctly and attached. Looks like my former spacing was right, they line up with the slots ok.

Attached Files:

10. Syph007

Syph007 Member

Just a little update today, getting the main part together ok. I'm working on the retracting parts tonight and I hope that goes smoothly.

Attached Files:

11. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

What card thickness are you using to laminate the model parts to?
  12. Syph007

Syph007 Member

I printed the model on 65lb card stock. The formers I laminated regular paper onto a Ritz box, which is probably 1mm thick.
  13. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

OK! Thanks for the info. (I wondered where that red color came from......)
  14. Syph007

Syph007 Member

I've been working on the sliding struts the hold the landing bay pods. Here are a few progress pics of the construction.

Attached Files:

15. Syph007

Syph007 Member

Here are the sliding struts glued in place. A picture each to show them in the open and closed position.

Attached Files:

16. wlock

wlock Member

amazing work so far. this is very helpfull for anybody that wants to give it a shot.
    Please get as many pictures as you can for us
  17. gmss43

gmss43 New Member

Thanks for the images. Time to do it and always good to have a guide.
  18. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Lookin good

Definitely looking good there Syph. I'm glad it's working out. Not having it test-built is always risky. After a bunch of you guys work out the wrinkles I just may have a go at building it myself.

Steve
  19. Syph007

Syph007 Member

Hey, finally got a small update. The landing bay pods are a total pain to make correctly, on my third redo of them. Took a break from that part for a bit and started on the rear engines.

Attached Files:

20. Dardalion

Dardalion New Member

that looks really good. have built galactica model recently, and yours makes me want to build that one now. keep going with the pix. great to have so much reference points