Brubaker's Panther

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Bowdenja, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

With Ken's permission I have started on the re-color of his Blue Angels Panther, to the Panther from the movie The Bridges of Toko Ri.

Now...... after searching the web I have found several different versions of this plane, and since I do have the movie on DVD I will go through it and find what I need, but for starters I have not been able to find a good picture of the golden dragon on the nose.

Does anybody have the decals from the plastic :)eek:) model that they can scan and send me? If not I will have to recreate this from what pics I do have.

Also looking into the RGB colors for Sea Blue it really doesn't "look" right to me so I will probably post up some choices for others to help me out with getting this closer.

Thanks

john
  2. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

This might help...Thanks to plastic!!!:wave:

Attached Files:

3. lancer525

lancer525 Member

I think that the color on the model in your last two photos is far too dark. From what information I've seen, the right RGB is: 36, 52, 167

YMMV, however...

Can't wait to see it!
  4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Thanks Guys!

Ken sent me a scan of the decals so I have the dragon........

On the color I think I have settled on this RGB 50 59 102...............

I know everybody's printer will be different but on mine it looks pretty close, I think.

Attached Files:

5. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Here is a sample of the RGB 36 52 167

I think this one is just a little too blue............ but I'm open to suggestions.

Attached Files:

6. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

That's going to look nice John. At the risk of once again having my pee-pee wacked, I will mention that Brubaker actually flew a Banjo in the book, and the movie poster showed a F2H pulling out of a bomb run on the bridges. You do see some Banshees on the flight deck during the film, but I guess that when the film was made the Panther was easier to find, the Banshees having been relegated to the reserves, or sold to the RCN.
  7. exzealot

exzealot Member

John,

I believe the blue should be dark as on the 2 photos of the model. The blue on the box art may be too light. But, I am not a good person to judge colors. What's wrong with blue pants and brown socks anyway?

Ken
  8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Ken...... I'll keep playing with it, and darken it some. :thumb:

Rick........ yeah I wish it was a F2H-2.

Maybe we can bribe Ken into adding some other "desktop models" to his collections, besides just Blue Angel aircraft. (nudge..nudge..wink..wink..) sign1

john
  9. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Does anyone know when Ken's Panther is available? I've been checking the eCardmodels site since Friday.
  10. exzealot

exzealot Member

I think Chris only updates the store appx every 2 weeks, but I'm not sure.

Ken
  11. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

What about this one.......

Attached Files:

12. lancer525

lancer525 Member

That looks pretty good, but you have to remember that everyone's monitors have different settings. The RGB I posted a bit back, was the result of the settings in my graphics program that forces my monitor to show true color, and print color. So I thought I was giving you the RGB closest to what would print out, if your printer were calibrated to print Pantone colors, which are the industry standard...

I like that new color, and it is really close to the RGB I sent you, at least in appearance on my monitor.
  13. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Thanks Lancer........ and you absolutely correct. I learned the hard way about monitor/printer difference. :thumb:

Even all the plastic Brubaker versions I have found on the net are all different colors........ either from different color mixes, camera shots, lighting, angles, etc... that's why I wanted to get everyone to kinda settle on a color.

Here is my rendition of the Golden Dragon of VFA-192.........

john

Attached Files:

14. exzealot

exzealot Member

John,

That color looks very close. The monitor/printer issue is the paper modeler's enemy. The dragon looks great too!

Ken
  15. Sirfoldalot

Sirfoldalot Member

That color is very close to the actual 1x1 version .. from an "old fart".
    Was a nice air-machine in it's day.
    Look forward to the completed model.
  16. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

Bow, that third one looks too dark, the 1st one you submitted looked closer to the real deal! The dragon looks great!
  17. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

OK just spend some time watching TBOTR and I have to admit I understand more now why there are so many different versions of Brubaker's Panther that have been created. It does at some point in the more look exactly like any plastic version you can find on the net.:rolleyes:

Basically I plan on doing this model as it looked when they attacked the bridges. Don't ask me why cause I don't know........ I just picked that one to go by.

On the attack the plane only has a white tip on the tail, not the elevators...... is marked 209 B and has the dragon pretty far up the nose.
    Along with silver wing roots on the top. I also noticed in one of the landing scenes it has 209 on the bottom of the right wing flap. I guess this helped the LSO figure out who's who on the approach. I also notice that the GAC's Photo bird was painted up to be a photo bird, with painted on side camera windows, and was not a F9F-5P sign1 I might even do this up so you and recreate the scene....... you know..... flying around the room.

I also plan to detail the dive brakes..... basically just put black dots on them for the holes, and will do as much of the warning stenciling on the plane as I can find.

I hope this meets with everyone's expectations.:thumb:

Oh........ and it was good to watch the movie (again)....... mainly just to see those big blue jets scream across the screen:wave:

Grace Kelley was sure nice to look at too!

john
  18. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

OK........ I need some responses.

I have printed out some of the model using the darker blue and the black panel lines virtually disappear....... I'm thinking about re-doing them in white.

Comments?

john
  19. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

How about gray or a lighter blue?
  20. exzealot

exzealot Member

Hi John,

I used light gray on the Blue Angels versions. I think if you go 1 shade darker on the gray, it will be just right.

Ken