Bronx Union carfloat Update

JorgeC

Mar 5, 2007
New York
Hello Everyone:wave: ,

It's been awhile since my last post but, the Susie-Q has me working alot of long hours lately. I have modified the Walthers floatbridge with metal rails instead of the plastic ones that the kit brings. I can now run an engine out onto the carfloat like it actually happened at times. I havent added the metal rails to the carfloat yet but, I will add them when I finish assembling the other two carfloats and the floatbridge this weekend. I'm going to plank the deck of the floatbridge with HO scale ties that are used for handlaying track. I dont like that plastic woodgrain. The Bronx Union recently picked up an ex Southern Pacific RSD12, for a planned route expansion. It wasnt in great shape when it was pulled off the float, but the outstanding Bronx Union mechanical department get her back into tip top shape and is now awaiting her turn into the paintshop. I hope everyone has enjoyed the pics. I will have more this weekend.

Have fun,
Jorge

mcCormicknychs-4oldR.gif
STALEYtank.gif
30air_gacx.gif
30air_gacx-goldlf.gif
burgerttx72cblload.gif

Attachments

• apron.jpg
    apron.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 107
  • carfloat1en7.jpg
    carfloat1en7.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 109
  • carfloat2wk8.jpg
    carfloat2wk8.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 109
  • rsd122rw9.jpg
    rsd122rw9.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 108

JorgeC

Mar 5, 2007
New York
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for the compliments! I will keep everyone posted on progress being made. Miles I really dont know, if you can place an RS11 shell on the RSD4/5 chassis. If you do, make sure its the RS11 shell and the RSD4/5 chassis for the early 80's, as these were a foot short and should fit. This RSD12, is the one Atlas released in the early 80's, and let me tell you it's the smoooothest engine I have! You might want to search E-bay as they appear from time to time. Let me know if it fits.

Have fun,
Jorge

mcCormicknychs-4oldR.gif
hersrud50bhgond_bo-ld2.gif
30air_gacx.gif

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
It looks nice. You learn something new everyday. I didn't realise that they sometimes put locomotives on car floats. I was watching "California's Gold", a tv program out here on the public tv stations that focuses on history or sights in California. They did an episode on the Solano, a train ferry that was used to complete the trans continental railroad into the city of San Francisco. It was built in 1880, if I remember correctly, a side wheeler to go across the bay from Richmond to San Francisco. It operated from when built until the late 1930's when the bay bridge was finally built, and the train tracks were laid on the lower level of the bridge. As near as they can tell it was the longest ferry boat ever built in the world.

JorgeC

Mar 5, 2007
New York
Hello Everyone:wave: ,

I'm glad to see that everyone has enjoyed the latest progress pics! I just got done spray painting the last piece of the deck for carfloat No.1. Before painting it I drilled four tiny holes for 22 gauge feeder wires that are going to power the tracks on the carfloat.

Russ funny that you mention the Solano, because I think there was an article in I believe last months issue of Railroad Model Craftsman. I unfortunately missed that issue, but I'm going to order it as a back issue as soon as I get a chance.

Miles I really like your MV&P. It has a really strong Southern Pacific branchline feel:thumb: . Have you picked up any of the new Atlas SP ALCO RS32's? My fiance got me for Christmas one of the C&NW RS32. The GIF's are from http://www.frograil.com/index.htm. There is a great variety of stuff to choose from. I was surprised to find New York cross Harbor GIF's. All you do is copy and paste. Please let me know what your test results are when you test fit the RS11 shell to the RSD4/5 shell.

Sean I believe that Sylvan Scale Models makes a two track N scale carfloat. You can purchase it at http://www.nscalesupply.com/CatalogMain.html. I might build an N scale portable carfloat layout. Let me know what you find.

Like I promised, I will have more pics this Saturday of the assembled floatbridge. I'm hoping to find at least one more carfloat.

Have fun,
Jorge

Bronx Union Terminal & Transportation Co.
"Gateway to The Empire State"

mcCormicknychs-4oldR.gif
macDougallgvsr50box.gif
GONXgondola.gif
macDougallgvsr50box.gif
howarthrailbox2_weathered.gif

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Another thing that was pointed out in the program on the Solano was that the ferry determined the size of the trains and the schedule for any trains departing from or arriving to San Francisco. It seems the Solano, even though it was the longest ferry known to exsist, limited the length of trains to the length of the deck. The train was driven on the ferry and had to fit. They didn't "double" it. Also the Solano made 7 trips daily to and from San Francisco, and they didn't wait for a train, it had to be on time to catch the ferry.