Broken switch rod (I think)

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
I have many Atlas turnouts, and tonight, the tie that moves to move the switch points (which I believe is the switch rod) broke. Now I have nowhere to attach the throw. Any ideas on how to fix. I do have an old switch that I could take the broken bart off of, but the broken switch is glued down and it is the one that would cause the most problems if riped out and reglued.

Attachments

• DSCN1069.JPG
    DSCN1069.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN1070.JPG
    DSCN1070.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 4

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
The ties on my Atlas code 83 track are styrene, and if those on your turnout are too, it should be easy to repair. I use lacquer thinner as styrene cement, but any liquid styrene cement should work just fine. Use either strip styrene the same size as what's left of the original, or cut a piece out of a sheet of suitable thickness. Trim the broken end square, butt an extension of the proper length to the squared end, and use more of the same material to make a splice plate, then cement it atop both the original and new piece, spanning the joint. Allow 24 hours for the joint to fully harden, then hook up your ground throw as normal. Obviously, you'll need to drill a suitable hole in the new extension, and paint everything to blend in with the original.

Wayne

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
Kevin, I have used a printed circuit board tie to replace the throwbar on a broken one of mine. You have to cut a gap in the center of the throwbar, drill a hole for the ground throw and solder the tie to the point rails.

Loren

ChadYelland

Jan 26, 2006
Tisdale Sk Canada
I have removed them and turned them around so the throw sticks out the other side, if your carefull you should be able to get them unclipped and out with just prying up that end of the turnout slightly